Newton Bud plans question...

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Wyble

Not sure if it will need them or not but I want to get a set of Newton’s plans to go with a 1/6 scale gas kit I’m getting from Mike, my question is what is the correct #? I’m looking to build the 1982 U-1 Budweiser Griffin. On the sight I see #132-A builds the 1979 to 1980 U-12 and looks like the hull I’m getting, but then there is #133-B that says it is the 1980 U-12 but has no picture. The next one I see it #147-A 1985 U-12 bubble bud so I know that's not the one. So what is the difference between 132-A and 133-B? and what one is correct for the 1982 U-1?

Hey Brent - The one you want is 133B. That's the '80-'85 Bud U-12/U-1. The '79 "Juggernaut" (MHR #7912) was destroyed in a straightaway record attempt on Lake Washington after the '79 season. Ron Jones took what he learned from the hull & made subtle changes to the new one. While the boats looked the same, the '80 hull (MHR #8012) was longer, had a deeper afterplane air trap, a slightly different sponson AOA and a sharper bow-block. I suspect if you compare the Newton plans for each, most of the differences are there. Roger didn't miss much - especially when it came to the Budweiser boats!

Hey Larry K,

I believe this pic will add the exclamation point to your previous post. CHEERS !!! Bob

The last picture I saw of what was left of the Juggernaut was a section about 5 feet long and maybe a foot wide of part of the internal framing. Needless to say, there wasn't enough left to rebuild it from :(

Yup :(

Actually, I believe the boat had already qualified but was going for a qualifying record on Saturday. You know how Bernie was! There are some videos floating around out there of the wreck. The boat seemed to hook left & did a nasty spinning flop. You can't see Dean separating from the hull like in the '79 crash.

Larry, I'm not sure if Bernie was after a record or not, but I remember that Dean had qualified the boat and had the best time/speed that morning. Right after that, Chip took the Atlas out and topped Dean's time. Bernie sent Dean back out to beat Chip's time and then disaster struck. What made this so bad is that it didn't have to happen and it was Bernie's pride that got Dean killed.

Well, HJ, I suppose you could say that & you would probably find a lot of folks who would agree with you (me included). But who's to say? If Dean had been successful in his attempt that day, Chip could have been hurt, or worse, trying to regain the top spot. I know they had changed the balance of the boat for that race & it had been running pretty loose but when you see it turn sideways like it did, well, I gotta believe something else went wrong.

And I agree with you totally Larry, who's to say. No matter how you look at it, boat racing is dangerous and whether it's the owner, the driver, the crew or something else, that kind of stuff happens. Just in the past couple of days, Kayleigh Perkins escaped serious injury when her unlimited light went up in flames after a test run. She was saved by the fire resistant cockpit capsule and her husband yelling at her over the radio to get out of the boat. The story was shown on one of the news broadcasts last night, not much left of the right side of the boat but, as Kayleigh put it, "It's fixable"

Back