Newbie Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troy Thomas

I was just wondering why the outboards race in a clockwise direction? I found that they will turn on a dime even at hi-speed in the counter direction and never miss a beat while trying to turn clockwise you have to put the wedges under the front of the boat and still have to slow down to keep from blowing out. The 120 boats and Formula 1 boats ( real ones)run counter clockwise aswell and they go in to the turn at 100 + mph and turn on a dime. Just Curious...Thanks

I was just wondering why the outboards race in a clockwise direction? I found that they will turn on a dime even at hi-speed in the counter direction and never miss a beat while trying to turn clockwise you have to put the wedges under the front of the boat and still have to slow down to keep from blowing out. The 120 boats and Formula 1 boats ( real ones)run counter clockwise aswell and they go in to the turn at 100 + mph and turn on a dime. Just Curious...Thanks
The model tunnels race in a clockwise direction because that's the direction model boats have always raced. Model tunnel boats could race the same direction as full size tunnels, but that would probably screw up the minds of those racing their boats :eek: . Many of us race other classes besides tunnels so it's just easier to run everything clockwise.

JD

Ah, I uh see..So basicly it boils down to track setup and racers having 1 track minds... :D Been wondering about that one for a while now becuase they turn so much better to the left........ now i know, Thanks!

If your setup is good you can turn VERY tite at full throttle to the left without turning wedges. I can bring mine in towards the bank at full throttle and rip at 180* turn wide open in about a 12' radius....Hard on the flex shaft though... Not so good if you let off the gas and turn though! I always let off briefly then clamp the throttle and turn and it just carves and never misses a beat! Have to turn very slow to the right or it hooks around and takes a dive...turning wedges help but its still nothing compared to the way it will turn left. Mine basically turns just like a formula 1 boat to the left..... Fun Fun :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back