newb with some questions :)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisk27

hey guys i just bought a tunnel hull with a k&b3.5 no electronics heres my questions:

1.what plug should i use

2.i plan on racing this year (district 2 (london)what % of nitro should i use?

3.what website or company can i find a linkage kit for this boat to move the throt and steering?(hardware)

i am pretty good with nitro because i race touring cars and trucks and i also have a gas boat but i know were to find parts for that .....but i am new to nitro boats and i hear they can be tempermental so any advice you have i am thankful for!

thanks for you time

chris

some of it depends on the model number of your engine and make of the hull, but heres a good starting point......

Plug: Use a McCoy MC9, probably the most common plug used in boating.

Fuel nitro percentage: 50 - 60% You will want to make sure the oil content is blended for boats.

Linkage kit.....what type of boat?? Most tunnels these days dont have a "kit" persay, since there are so many ways of doing the same thing with linkages and such, mfrs usually leave it up to the individual to setup the radio box. I use alot of Sullivan, Dubro, and K&S parts to make the linkages on my tunnels. most of the stuff can be purchased from any decent hobby shop (even hobbytown) or from www.towerhobbies.com The best thing is to look at pictures (or the real thing) of other peoples radio boxes to get ideas. do you have a picture of what you have? we can provide more assistance when we see what youve got....

hope this helps..... welcome to I. Waters

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrisk27,

For starters Topfuel has it right however, I like the K&B 1L plugs. Here is a link to an image of my radio box I just finished building.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=5210

And once you get a nitro engine tuned, it will run very well for you. Just don't load the propellor. The little 3.5's need to "rev-up" to get good power from them.

Snowdog

Shouldnt we find out what motor it is before sugjesting a plug? Pictures of what you have would be helpfull. What if it is an old engine with the short head button would a K&B 1L still work?

Just my 2cents

Welcome to the board, tell us more or post some picture.

ChrisK

Welcome to the board.. The I waters gang is here to help..

Does you motor have a tuned pipe..? If so i would try the McCoy MC-9 as James suggests.. If it does not try the McCoy MC-59 as Snow suggests..

No wrong way to do it but this is a good standard to start with.

Do you know if you motor has the old head button on it? (12mm crankshaft engine) If so, then you “might” need to use two washers under the plug to make things work right. There is a possibility that you can still have a 13mm crankshaft motor and have the old head button on the motor, however less likely.

If your not sure just pull the head off the motor and screw in a plug. The threads should sit flush with the base of the bowl if it is a 13mm set up. If its a 12mm head then the plug will stick down in the bowl 1/32” or more..

Let us know and keep PLUGING..get it pluging…im done now..sorry

Grim

Can I use a longer plug in a 12mm motor?

The ones the LHS sold me are a little longer than the one in there now.

If you do the piston will [SIZE=14pt]Bang[/SIZE]into the glow plug causing a dimple which will start to chip aluminum pieces away. If you have to add a second o-ring to the plug. If you accidently add a long plug (cover your ears, what I'm gonna tell you is top secret.....I've done it before) you'll hear it loud and clear bang-bang-banging away. Hell, my motor even ran, made the ugliest dimple but the motor ran another two years.

CHRISK27,

My advice to you since your in London, (I'll assume England?) go with 10% nitro since it is bloody expensive, if you can afford it 50%, add a tuned pipe and maybe try Rossi plugs. This would not be my set up here in the US but maybe for where you are it's more pratical and economical.

As Grim said the 12mm and 13mm are two different performing motors when it comes to power and which plug you can use. As I told Pist' n Broke, using the wrong plug will cause major damage slowly.

Good Luck!

england hahahahaha !!! no i live in milton ontario canada and i will race in london ontairo (impba disrict 2) i have some pics but i dont know how to put them up can somebody help??? also i need the gray levers for steering that you have in that radio box pic where do i find those???and if i put my glow plug in without the gasket the piston will hit

thanks guys

To post apicture click on the vrowse button next to submit post. That will open your A,C or download drives. From there you double click your picture, it'll go directly to the browse and hit submit post.

If you run the long plug in the short head button, your piston will [SIZE=14pt] NOT[/SIZE] hit the plug as Rodney had previously stated. The head button has a dish shape bubble in it. The plug will hang down into this and not even come close to hitting the piston. It will not run to it potential, but it will run. Just add the extra washer and you will be fine.

Mike

PS You can order the short plugs from K&B.

The long plug in a short plug head will raise the compression too much and cause detonation. Go with the two washers as Grim says.

Considering it's been over a month since his last post on this, I bet Chrisk27 has lost interest in this thread.

Just my take.

Latest posts

Back