New Project by MikeP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drill some holes before pulling the plug out for pinning and clamping it together.

Pull out the plug. Needs a couple spots fixed then polished. Using foam plugs sealed with epoxy the way I do it usually end up needing the molds polished.

Wow! you sure do great work mike! I'm excited to see how it turns out. Maybe I could buy one from you! :D

Bart Drieghe,

"What's a K-tank?"

Those are the 5' tall gas culinders welders use. Usually green for Oxy and brown for acetylene, etc. I left out the word "not" in my thread, i.e. "I'm NOT too much into this", etc but I would think a person could saw the bottom off of one and weld some flanges around the perimiter to bolt it back together with a rubber gasket inbetween to make a killer pressure vessel.

There are also various sized CO2 and Helium "bottles" that would be suitable.

Rich

In the pic there's a piece of foam is that a bulkhead ,and what do you cover it with so the resen dosen't eat it. Your mold looks great ;) :p

Mike.C

The foam bulkhead was something I was toying around with. The blue foam would be sheeted and the round backer rod covered with braided CF. Possibly squishing it in place when I close the mold, forming a good fit.

Mike

Back to the rear sponson plaster mold. Instead of epoxy putty to fill the sharp corners I filled them with CF tow, should be lighter than filling them with epoxy. It also makes it really stiff.

The plaster mold work ok, I filled the mold with #3 foam and it was too heavy. I think I will stick to sheeted foam for sponsons, this is too crude.

Mike

I got the tub mold ready to lay up. The top half is red and the bottom have will be CF weave.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting for supplies to layup the tub, I got the sponson under way. This is the mold for the turn fin mount and inside former.

The mixture of CF to resin for factory produced stuff is about %70 CF %30 resin like the extruted tubes. The home hobby guy is lucky to get %50, efforts to squeeze out resin might get %60.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back