New Project by MikeP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, you might want to take some small pieces of that aero mat and wet it out on some wax paper and let it dry....practice with it basically. I know core-mat tends to soak up a lot of resin, in full size boats anyway. Boat builders use it as a print barrier and the secondary benifit is the stiffness that they get with it. Just a thought.

Mark

Propjockey said:
Will that thin roller foam give even pressure on the sponson contours, or would thicker foam work better?
The thick rollers soak up too much epoxy then squeeze it out if you apply pressure. It makes it hard to use.

Lake S.P.O.R.T. said:
Mike, you might want to take some small pieces of that aero mat and wet it out on some wax paper and let it dry....practice with it basically. I know core-mat tends to soak up a lot of resin, in full size boats anyway. Boat builders use it as a print barrier and the secondary benifit is the stiffness that they get with it. Just a thought.
Mark
Thanks Mark,

I think what I will do is wet it out good on a piece of glass, soak up all I can with paper towell then laminate it in place and vacume bag it tight.

Going to be trying several things that are kind of a pre preg. to make sure it gets saturated good without loading it up with epoxy.

Mike

Well, at first thought I'd love to get into Mike's head. But no, on second thought it would probably be very scary and the overload could kill me. :eek:

Anyway Mike, it's posts like this that make this forum the best ever!

Don B)

Got some carbon tow to hold the mold down and to beef up\ fill in some places that would need it. First layer on the other mold.

mold #2 gets bagged to compress the aero-mat until the epoxy get set up a bit. A cup with the epoxy used in the oven with the layup helps watch the condition of the epoxy

A little more tow around the edges will help seal the top to the botton and fill the gap better aound the aero-mat. This pre preg tow has been sitting out for a couple hours now and is really cool to work with. It's good and sticky, stays in place. I can form it just right.

The two molds will be jammed together now, the epoxy is still green and sticky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I belive Tom was right! I also remember Mike Talking about a minimalistic rigger design. :D

Mike, I really like that oven you made. I don't really know much about epoxy, so i am going to ask a dumb question. what is the benefit of baking the epoxy while it cures? does the extra heat help it cure faster?, or does it make it stronger, or what does it do? :huh:

"what is the benefit of baking the epoxy while it cures?"

The epoxies we typically use (like West Systems) will not cure properly below 60-65 degrees. You got to be careful with heat also as too much will cause gassing & create bubbles. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sure wish Mike would hurry up with this thing so we can see what its is.......

~ James

Well if it is a minimalistic rigger it's so minimal i can't see it :unsure:

Still puzzled what else it can be.

wswatzell said:
Mike, I really like that oven you made. I don't really know much about epoxy, so i am going to ask a dumb question. what is the benefit of baking the epoxy while it cures? does the extra heat help it cure faster?, or does it make it stronger, or what does it do? :huh:
Most vacume bagging epoxies need a post cure or heat to fully cure. I've been using MGS which is a german aircraft certified resin and it needs 24hrs at room temp and 15 hrs at 120F or so. Still don't know what it is though :blink:

Back