New Project by MikeP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clay,

That dental plaster sounds like some good stuff, all I add is water. Wait got it backwards add plaster to the water it mixes up better.

Mike

TimD said:
Hey Mike,Will that cowl fit the timber FF21's? Hint hint!

Tim.
Tim,

It should fit good. Mine ended up about 1/16" smaller, I guess I got some shrinkage.

Here is the almost finished sponson. Need to clean up where the taped edges were.

Here are some of the bits going on the inside.

Boom tubes, boom tube mounting blocks, motor mount, strut and rudder mount.

Oh sorry, you must of missed when I switched to plan "B".

More pictures of plan "B" :D

The rear insert for the strut and rudder.

MikeP,

Please let us poor forum users who were trying to work out what the @#$% thing (plan A) was?

Tim.

TimD said:
MikeP,Please let us poor forum users who were trying to work out what the @#$% thing (plan A) was?

Tim.
Plan "A" was a flat pan rigger with the same profile as the FF .21, it was going to have a removable body. I could not get it stiff enough without adding more glue and cloth. SO on with plan "B"

The "shifter console" had the radio box, sponson tube mounts(fr. and Rear) and the motor mount all molded in. For now it's on the back burner, I need to finish a new rigger by the end of the month.

MikeP

Any progress recently Mike?

I wanted to ask something anyhow, how and with what do yoou cover the bluefoam to get it smooth as a master for a mold? I can't get it done clean unless I cover it with glasscloth and then sand. Just covering it with epoxy does not withstand sanding.

Julius

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I brush on a heavy coat of West Systems with Silica as smooth as I can. The silica keeps it from running off the foam. Block sand it with 80 grit, 2 more thinner coats wet sanding with 400. Do not sand through to foam!

If I was serious I would make a solid wood plug, but I am just playing around and learning how to do this stuff. I spend most of my time on the mold not the plug. It should be the other way around.

I finally got this project ready to get wet this weekend.

Here are a few finished photos.

Back