New price on OS 21 XM, yikes!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id say k/bs low ball pricing is what killed them and made OS look pricy. Ive made the switch to OS and the power is better out of the box cpmpared to k/b. Not saying a k/b wont run with a os but not in out of the box form.......

My 2 cents. My OS once started, never quit on me for 2 1/2 years. It kept on running unless my poor driving skills killed it. I was afraid it was getting tired at the last race but it was a fuel problem(mixing 2 different kinds). It quit twice on me and truly that is the only time it ever quit. I love the OS but am experimenting with a GO and TT. They gotta show me they are more reliable until I get away from an OS. In electric OB Tunnel, how do you know if the motor is equivalent to a modded nitro engine. Seems like a HUGE opportunity for cheating. Tom

Bill, I think he is asking how you knows its actually a "spec" motor lets say. How do you know someone hasnt warmed it over. I dont know enough about the brushless technology or motors, but I know in the old brushed days, you could turn the com, add/remove windings, etc. All behind the lines, and still be a "spec" motor, atleast can and end bell wise. Does that make more sense??

I don't know how many people would know how to mod a brushless motor. But I guess you would have about the same guarantee that you would have that

SOMEONE HASN'T GONE THROUGH A STOCK OS...

Code:
Seems like a HUGE opportunity for cheating.
See my point?

Bill, I think he is asking how you knows its actually a "spec" motor lets say. How do you know someone hasnt warmed it over. I dont know enough about the brushless technology or motors, but I know in the old brushed days, you could turn the com, add/remove windings, etc. All behind the lines, and still be a "spec" motor, atleast can and end bell wise. Does that make more sense??

YEP.. and it can be done with a brushless too!....

Lets see how this would play out..

You can do anything you want to inside a brushless motor as long as the intake and exhaust holes are not modifyed. hum.. that did not work... lol

You can do anything you want to the stock parts...hum.. not to hot.. but OK

You can do anything you want to the rotor as long as its the stock rotor(whats a stock rotor?)

Its going to take some thinking for sure.

GAME ON!

Grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, that is exactly what I meant. I know nothing about electrics but can sure tell any work done on a Nitro engine. Thanks

Tom,

I guess If you hate something you can ALWAYS find a way to down it. Your X-ray vision must be far superior to the mere mortal. Cause looking at a motor ain't gonna tell you squat about what's inside. (Brushless or Nitro) And I doubt very seriously you can walk up to someone's boat at a race, look at it, and proclaim that they are either legit or not.

I GUARANTEE you that 90% of all stock nitro motor's in the "stock" class are not "stock"

I find it strange that cheating in the nitro stock classes is acceptable to you (by your obvious silence on the matter), yet it be so disturbing in the FE spec classes that you would need to make a whole post saying "it could be a HUGE problem".

Keep on hatin' <_<

Mike,

Considering that AQ products have been chosen by both sanctioning bodies as spec hardware, I would have thought that you would be a little more receptive to FE and those trying to advance this hobby with newer technology.

Seems like this very same scenario played out a few years ago when nitro guys bashed the heck out of gas boat guys. How many gas boats are out there now?

I guess you really can't push a rope.

Not to long ago (two years ago, I believe) the OS XM water cooled engine went up in price at tower by $50.00! The crappy part about it is that the motor remanded UNCHANGED! The US economy was in a bad spot then. Now two years later they make two or three small changes and RAISE the price another $80.00!!!!! That is nuts, especially in this economy we are in now (even worse than two years ago)!

They will lower the price when we stop buying them. I believe VERY soon they may have a strong competitor at a far better price!!!

Don't get me wrong the OS is an excellent motor, However the price hicks may come back to haunt them.

Tim

I got 4 years on that crappy part... and WON a TON of races with it... lol

I freshened that motor up for the 2007 Internats and it was run that way (bearings and all) untill this week.. (again.. rebuild).. Same stub shaft, head button, case, ROD!...

As outboards go.. I say great VALUE!

Grim
Grim,

I'm not sure if you took me the right way? Just want to clarify that the OS is an excellent motor. The crappy part was about the $50 price hike in a bad economy (while the motor remaind the same).

Tim

First Bill.. its Mike

Second its not about "work" to me.. its about BETTER RC BOATING FOR ALL! We are going to sell a stink pot of those motors regardless.. you know our largest market is not the racer right? (however dont get me wrong, I love the fact the motor are racing)

You do know I have won more then one FE boat race over the last so many some odd years, including a national champion ship and a tunnel worlds right?

FE boating is just not for me THATS ALL.. that might change when and if the heat formats ever change and the orgs can control the rules but until then.. its Nitro or nothing..

and that would be an expensive OS OB regarding the topic of this thread!

I love the power of a good FE boat, I love the ease of maintaining it like EVERYBODY ELSE.. but its not the second coming to me and that’s all! To me it has a LONG way to go to even come CLOSE to what a good nitro race offers.

BUT.. that’s just me.. and your results my vary!

Grim

Not to long ago (two years ago, I believe) the OS XM water cooled engine went up in price at tower by $50.00! The crappy part about it is that the motor remanded UNCHANGED! The US economy was in a bad spot then. Now two years later they make two or three small changes and RAISE the price another $80.00!!!!! That is nuts, especially in this economy we are in now (even worse than two years ago)!

They will lower the price when we stop buying them. I believe VERY soon they may have a strong competitor at a far better price!!!

Don't get me wrong the OS is an excellent motor, However the price hicks may come back to haunt them.

Tim

I freshened that motor up for the 2007 Internats and it was run that way (bearings and all) untill this week.. (again.. rebuild).. Same stub shaft, head button, case, ROD!...

Grim
Grim,

I'm not sure if you took me the right way? Just want to clarify that the OS is an excellent motor. The crappy part was about the $50 price hike in a bad economy (while the motor remaind the same).

Tim

Tim,, no no..not at all.. lol.. I would LOVE an updated PL. but I just can not seem to push OS over the edge on that one...lol

Take care man!

Grim

Tim

Grim
Grim,

Tim

Tim,, no no..not at all.. lol.. I would LOVE an updated PL. but I just can not seem to push OS over the edge on that one...lol

Take care man!

Grim
cool, see you at Mendota. I missed you at TCMBC on July 5th.

Tim

Yeah Mike, I know it''s Mike. It was a typo.

You miss my point.

Nobody ever asked anyone to choose sides. I will still get up and watch every tunnel boat race I can see. Regardless of power plant. And I do still have multiple NovaRossi's in reserve.

What I didn't get was the way you seemingly chose to defend the notion that cheating in FE Spec could be a HUGE problem, then blindly dismiss the GINORMOUS issue of current cheating in stock OB tunnel.

I race in both Namba and Impba events, therefore I cannot casually dismiss or ignore either's rules.

I'm Done.

Bill, You don't need to be bitter. I just love the nitro motors. I like to be faster than the next guy. I don't like cheating or breaking the rules and yes I am sure there is some going on in stock classes. The OS is a great motor as I'm sure some electrics are better than others. I don't know anything about them and I'm sure many nitro guys don't either. My silence was do to work not to avoid. I don't like the insinuation. I don't run in any stock classes. I run modded 21 OB's, 21 rigger,21 cat, open nitro cat and sport forty. Can't be any cheating there. Who makes a stock FE OB? I don't know of any,so that is a mute point. Here we run open classes and mix some classes together just so we can all have fun. This is not blood and guts,it's a hobby.I don't run gas either. I could not afford to start running different types of boats. Let's race and be honest and be fun. Tom

Yeah Mike, I know it''s Mike. It was a typo.

You miss my point.

Nobody ever asked anyone to choose sides. I will still get up and watch every tunnel boat race I can see. Regardless of power plant. And I do still have multiple NovaRossi's in reserve.

What I didn't get was the way you seemingly chose to defend the notion that cheating in FE Spec could be a HUGE problem, then blindly dismiss the GINORMOUS issue of current cheating in stock OB tunnel.

I race in both Namba and Impba events, therefore I cannot casually dismiss or ignore either's rules.

I'm Done.

Hey Bill,

You have NovaRossi's in reserve? Can you please send one my way???? Those power plants ready to run as a outboard are almost impossible to find............ ;) I'll be in touch with you and Mic soon. I am working on my P-Spec so hopefully I can have it ready by the WTC since I missed entering it for the Fall race......... :(

he's done....lol....i think this thread should be done,,,its pages of bickering...how the heck did,,,"look at the price" turn into this...bill i have to say,,you somtimes come of very abrasive...i just dont see a need for it....after all,, and you said it yourself,,,u bashed the fe crowd back when,,,now look,, praising it to the point your abrasive...hmmmmmm...maybe im just a young buck and ill be just as grumpy when im older.....lol....

now what was the point of this thread...oh ya,,,the price of an xm.....hmmmm if i didnt know any better i would think its a o.s vs fe bashing contest...

I used to race "stock class" oval pancars and cheating was a huge problem. At nats events what a lot of places started doing was the entry fee for the class was increased by "x" dollars and that included a new handout motor. They were often marked with epoxy at one point so you could tell if they had been opened up. Modding a brushless motor is no easy task, and handout motors would be the easiest ways to attempt to regulate a true spec motor at a race. However, I have no dog as to what is better than the other. The more boats that find their way to the water the better, brushless electric, nitro, gas, or anything else that we dream up.

For those that have tested the two O.S. motors how much faster are they? From what I gather the consensus is the new motor is faster, but is it like .1 sec a lap faster or is it something major? Also how much differnce in weight do the two versions show?

Back