New price on OS 21 XM, yikes!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electric is looking better all the time!
Yup.

Approx $215 bucks (that's including a Turnigy 4S lipo) will get ya an FE setup that will wax that new OS's arse! :eek:

While this may be true, the OS will be running YEARS after that chinese lipo is in a landfill!
Ya, but you can buy another one for about the cost of a gallon of fuel.
That's the problem with most who don't understand FE. They let their unfounded spurn for for it to cloud their minds of it's capabilities. All they think of is someone with a 'toy' boat, or a sport boater with a crappy old hull. They simply never thought of putting the best power with the best hulls.

They are simply afraid on the unknown, so they stick with what they know. Not realizing how much they could save and how much faster they could be...

Nor expanding thier own minds.

Now all OS has to do is prove that they've made 500 of them to be legal in stock competition. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now all OS has to do is prove that they've made 500 of them to be legal in competition. :eek:
And since they kept the same crappy nickel liner, it'll be wore out in six months and you can pop another $100 bucks for a new p/s. It's this kind of blackmail that made me go FE.

Bill, what's kept me out of FE is several things. First, I'm completely clueless as to what all of those numbers mean and how to apply them. What size motor works best in a certain hull, then what ESC, batteries and prop to use. There, i've said it and there are probably many others who know what I'm typing about.

Secondly is that I've already got too much invested in nitro and now gas boats to try yet another route.

OK, a 3rd. There's not a whole lot of racing competition here in Michigan. Sure, there's the Michigan Cup race but that's about it, one race a year on the other side of the state. Gotta join NAMBA to race in that. I went to one MI Cup race and really didn't care for a lot of things including the format. I don't want to rankle any feathers by going into details but it just isn't my cup of tea.

Bill, what's kept me out of FE is several things. First, I'm completely clueless as to what all of those numbers mean and how to apply them. What size motor works best in a certain hull, then what ESC, batteries and prop to use. There, i've said it and there are probably many others who know what I'm typing about.

Secondly is that I've already got too much invested in nitro and now gas boats to try yet another route.

OK, a 3rd. There's not a whole lot of racing competition here in Michigan. Sure, there's the Michigan Cup race but that's about it, one race a year on the other side of the state. Gotta join NAMBA to race in that. I went to one MI Cup race and really didn't care for a lot of things including the format. I don't want to rankle any feathers by going into details but it just isn't my cup of tea.
Ron,

At one time you didn't know jack about nitro either. but you took it one step at a time and learned. Already having too much invested is the lamest excuse I have heard yet. If you think that way then you would never conceive of shopping for a lower interest rate on your home. "cause you have so much invested in your current mortgage lender already"

As far as being clueless, I was the same way eight months ago. But I didn't carelessly dismiss it cause I didn't know. I got off my arse and found out. That's what stops 99% of people today from learning something new. The info is literally all around you, all you have to do is read.

I'm a member of both Namba AND Impba and travel 700-1000 miles regularly multiple times a year to attend races. And I am by no means even remotely wealthy.

As far as FE not being your cup of tea. I can understand that, and respect it, until people start with the snickering after I walk away. Most nitro guys (including me at one time) think FE is nothing more than a stupid 'toy boat', yet they cry like a baby to keep FE's out of running in your classes, because all of a sudden "it's not fair".

That's hypocritical.

Give it a few years and the Govt. is going to make the decision for all of you. No oil on U.S. Govt. waters (and they will ALL be U.S. Govt waters, watch and see) and with the EPA taking a hard look at what nitro (read nitrogen) does to weed problems in those soon to be Govt. waters. well... you get the point.

As far as nobody else racing FE around you, well they probably think just like you do. Ergo, no FE boats. It's a collective malaise.

Not banging at you Ron, But if things forever stayed the same and we never learned anything new, we would still be hunter gatherers living in caves.

I don't play boat, I race. And I used to think FE was beneath me. Then I actually tried it. Now I will probably never run a nitro boat ever again.

/B

All true. When I go to the Flint record trials, I seem to hang out with Steve Reesor more than the others. Steve's a really good guy not that the others aren't but I keep getting parking spots next to him.

I've also been to a couple of scale ship modelers regatta's and have had a good time there also yet I'm not ready to jump into scale ahips at the moment. Try driving with your back to the water sometime while somebody else tells you when to turn through a coursetrying to fit youe hull between some buoys that aren't much wider than your boat is.

I just have to do what I enjoy, including all of the frustration of working on these nitro and gas boats.

Oh yeah, I can't solder worth a hoot. :D

I have a very good understanding of FE and I feel its going to be some time before "racing" comes into its own.. Its not the event, the heat race,(however Im not a huge fan of FE racing overall) its the lack of control of the rules.

The "Next" will come along... and the next.. at a faster pace then "racing" can control.

As silly as this seems the old OS OB was unchanged and sold for as is for 14 years.. yea.. a bit long.. but..

Anyway...

If its FE or Nitro.. lets just race.. and if the great gloom and doom predictions of the FE gods are true.. then I have plenty of Helicopters to fly!

Grim

Wow doesn't take long to get an FE discussion heated up,sparking debate and amping guys like Bill up. As for racing certain areas run in herds and you need to follow the flock to have classes to race in. Gas boats have taken off in some disticts and not others nearby. Active racers bringing numbers can change the demographics. I have Nitro, Gas and FE. Each has it's advantages and shortcommings. The only reason we can't all get along is too many classes and like Mike said rules need to be structered fairly. Cost, polution (noise & carbon) at some point will factor in.

This thread is about the cost of the new OS. Am I going to pony up more $$$ to run marginally faster and keep buying fuel, glow plugs, bearings, pistons & liners? Not a chance when an under $200 replacement power is availiable and will just kick the OS every way from sunday. The fuel and the Lipo cost will be a wash and technology and competiton, will bring better batteries cheaper. Nascar implemented the future with the COT cars and everyone bitched then adapted and racing didn't change.(maybe got safer) When my OS powerhead's die off their quality lowers will have sparkies bolted on them. Just evolution of the species. Chinese nitro & lipos, Japanese, Korean, Italian and Chinese motors all win the same old US heat races. Your choice on where you spend your money. Ain't America great.

Mic

When we can make all electric competitors be on the hot pit tables, put them on the two minute clock, let them plug in and tape up before the 30 second clock, complete at least one full mill lap, then race. Maybe I will consider electrics. Just seems that 21/2 minutes of fun, chaos and excitement are missing. The speeds are fine but they have eliminated a big part of the race IMHO

Robert

When we can make all electric competitors be on the hot pit tables, put them on the two minute clock, let them plug in and tape up before the 30 second clock, complete at least one full mill lap, then race. Maybe I will consider electrics. Just seems that 21/2 minutes of fun, chaos and excitement are missing. The speeds are fine but they have eliminated a big part of the race IMHO

Robert
I would do all this right now and compete in the .21 mod or "stock" class with a "spec FE" boat but the Nitro racers would be at a disadvantage real quick. Robert where you run at altitude the FE hp curve is even be more an advantage. This one door the nitro racers may not want to open. It would kill Sport or Stock class and the mod 21's would be in for a real wake up call at the clock. I know quite a few FE guys that are up for the challenge. These boats can easily launch and run before 30 seconds which is what is required of a nitro. You do not need to sit like a duck you can fly like a hawk.

JMO Mic

Robert

What do you think we ARE doing? What you have said is EXACTLY what we are doing in Dist. 12 (IMPBA)....maybe you should consider electrics.

What I laugh about is that every once in a while you will hear one of the nitro drivers complaining "Why do the FE guys get to wait to launch their boats just before the 30 second mark?" Just incase some of you didn't know...You can launch ANY boat before the 30 second mark!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We have actually started putting our FE boats in the water at about 45 seconds, that way if there are 3 or 4 guys waiting, everyone will have plenty of time to get their boats in on time safely.

-Kent

Robert

What do you think we ARE doing? What you have said is EXACTLY what we are doing in Dist. 12 (IMPBA)....maybe you should consider electrics.

What I laugh about is that every once in a while you will hear one of the nitro drivers complaining "Why do the FE guys get to wait to launch their boats just before the 30 second mark?" Just incase some of you didn't know...You can launch ANY boat before the 30 second mark!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: We have actually started putting our FE boats in the water at about 45 seconds, that way if there are 3 or 4 guys waiting, everyone will have plenty of time to get their boats in on time safely.

-Kent
That is exactly what we do here in D3 as well.

Robert

-Kent
That is exactly what we do here in D3 as well.

I have electric boats as well but I truly enjoy the excitement and energy of the 2 minute start time. I like the excitement of getting a boat started, walking to the drivers stand, having my pitman launch the boat and having to mill the balance of that time and jockey for position then hit a start. The electric classes eliminate some of that dynamic from where I am. A nitro or gas boat, to me, actually races and has excitement for about 4 1/2 minutes. With electric it seems that that has been cut down by a considerable amount. Thats the part I miss when I race my electric boats. Nothing against electrics just wish there was a way to get the extra race "time" in.

I am building a Whip right now for P-Spec and will probably do a JAE for the rigger class this winter.

Robert Holland

If you want exitement you need to do a Mod VP beach start. 8 pit guys holding running boats and tossing them in when the horn sounds between 5 and 1 seconds left on the clock. You run straight off the beach to a single turn bouy in the backstretch, make a hard right head for turn 2 and down the front straight to start lap one. FE could start this way easily.

Mic

If you want exitement you need to do a Mod VP beach start. 8 pit guys holding running boats and tossing them in when the horn sounds between 5 and 1 seconds left on the clock. You run straight off the beach to a single turn bouy in the backstretch, make a hard right head for turn 2 and down the front straight to start lap one. FE could start this way easily.

Mic
I'd like to WATCH that. :D

Doug

Not to long ago (two years ago, I believe) the OS XM water cooled engine went up in price at tower by $50.00! The crappy part about it is that the motor remanded UNCHANGED! The US economy was in a bad spot then. Now two years later they make two or three small changes and RAISE the price another $80.00!!!!! That is nuts, especially in this economy we are in now (even worse than two years ago)!

They will lower the price when we stop buying them. I believe VERY soon they may have a strong competitor at a far better price!!!

Don't get me wrong the OS is an excellent motor, However the price hicks may come back to haunt them.

Tim

the first os ob i bought here in australia was about 6 years ago now was $610.00 but the oz dollar was bad then

cheers ian

Not to long ago (two years ago, I believe) the OS XM water cooled engine went up in price at tower by $50.00! The crappy part about it is that the motor remanded UNCHANGED! The US economy was in a bad spot then. Now two years later they make two or three small changes and RAISE the price another $80.00!!!!! That is nuts, especially in this economy we are in now (even worse than two years ago)!

They will lower the price when we stop buying them. I believe VERY soon they may have a strong competitor at a far better price!!!

Don't get me wrong the OS is an excellent motor, However the price hicks may come back to haunt them.

Tim

I got 4 years on that crappy part... and WON a TON of races with it... lol

I freshened that motor up for the 2007 Internats and it was run that way (bearings and all) untill this week.. (again.. rebuild).. Same stub shaft, head button, case, ROD!...

As outboards go.. I say great VALUE!

Grim

Back