New price on OS 21 XM, yikes!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to race "stock class" oval pancars and cheating was a huge problem. At nats events what a lot of places started doing was the entry fee for the class was increased by "x" dollars and that included a new handout motor. They were often marked with epoxy at one point so you could tell if they had been opened up. Modding a brushless motor is no easy task, and handout motors would be the easiest ways to attempt to regulate a true spec motor at a race. However, I have no dog as to what is better than the other. The more boats that find their way to the water the better, brushless electric, nitro, gas, or anything else that we dream up.

For those that have tested the two O.S. motors how much faster are they? From what I gather the consensus is the new motor is faster, but is it like .1 sec a lap faster or is it something major? Also how much differnce in weight do the two versions show?
I might be able to answer that question for you next year. :)

I'm loving my Vision tunnel .21 and will need a motor for my Cobra tunnel this winter, so I could swap and make direct comparisons between the two O.S. engines. And if all goes well, I'll have a laser timing system on my pond to give accurate results. Front chute top speed, back chute top speed, and single lap elapsed time, all measured during one lap of running.

he's done....lol....i think this thread should be done,,,its pages of bickering...how the heck did,,,"look at the price" turn into this...bill i have to say,,you somtimes come of very abrasive...i just dont see a need for it....after all,, and you said it yourself,,,u bashed the fe crowd back when,,,now look,, praising it to the point your abrasive...hmmmmmm...maybe im just a young buck and ill be just as grumpy when im older.....lol....

now what was the point of this thread...oh ya,,,the price of an xm.....hmmmm if i didnt know any better i would think its a o.s vs fe bashing contest...

Don't get personal with Bill. Everyone should be able to voice their opinion here. Bill loves his FE's and has been very helpful to a lot of us. I don't think its abrasive, I think FE is his passion just like Nitro only maybe someone else's passion. I for one am going to do both and look forward to any help those like Bill, Mic, and Dick can give us new guys!!!..... ;) Thanks.

I used to race "stock class" oval pancars and cheating was a huge problem. At nats events what a lot of places started doing was the entry fee for the class was increased by "x" dollars and that included a new handout motor. They were often marked with epoxy at one point so you could tell if they had been opened up. Modding a brushless motor is no easy task, and handout motors would be the easiest ways to attempt to regulate a true spec motor at a race. However, I have no dog as to what is better than the other. The more boats that find their way to the water the better, brushless electric, nitro, gas, or anything else that we dream up.

For those that have tested the two O.S. motors how much faster are they? From what I gather the consensus is the new motor is faster, but is it like .1 sec a lap faster or is it something major? Also how much differnce in weight do the two versions show?

Stuart,

The common sense rules still apply. Lap times by having a fast heat racing boat will prevail everyday over a super fast boat that is unstable or not able to stay on the bouys at full speed. Work on setup, prop, CG, etc. This will help you much more than a few hundred RPM..... ;) Just my opinion......

its not anything personal,,its just an observation as an on looker...im just having trouble wrapping my head around how this thread turned into this...swore it was when bill stepped in...anyways...i never said once anything about fe,,,so take that for what its worth...

Stuart,

The common sense rules still apply. Lap times by having a fast heat racing boat will prevail everyday over a super fast boat that is unstable or not able to stay on the bouys at full speed. Work on setup, prop, CG, etc. This will help you much more than a few hundred RPM..... ;) Just my opinion......
I hear ya, my theory is to finish first, first you must finish. That is why I try to bulletproof all my vessels and make sure they are gonna finish all the heats.

I am just a bit courious and trying to keep up with whats out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's what I've found running the new air cooled O.S. on my VS1. The boat is faster - I'd say by at least 2 mph. With the air cooled engine, I have beat a Lynx/water cooled O.S. that I could not previously beat. I really don't know how much/if any the new engine is heavier than the water cooled engine. I'd think the air cooled head and water cooled head are very close in weight. The muffler extension might weight an ounce.

JD

Holy cow, an ounce? Man that will stuff up a few peoples setups ;)

Jerry, are you running the same prop, or similar tweaked, or different?

Cheers

Kris

Holy cow, an ounce? Man that will stuff up a few peoples setups ;)

Jerry, are you running the same prop, or similar tweaked, or different?

Cheers

Kris
Hi Chris,

I really don't know how much the muffler extender weighs, I just took a guess.

The only thing I changed was the power head on my VS1 from the water cooled to the Ver. II air cooled. I run a lot of weight in my VS1 - something like 10 or 11 oz.

Grim ran the Ver. II in a race a couple of weeks ago and won.

JD

Back