New PPG clears-feedback? issues?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
I've been shooting PPG DAU acrylic urethane paints for years & by far has been my favorite. PPG has phased out the "environmentally unfriendly" DAU series of paints & replaced them with the Concept series, designed to shoot thru HVLP guns so much less paint winds up in the air. I have had zero problems with all the single layer paints (not basecoat/clearcoat in which base is not fuelproof) but I recently had some ink on vinyl transfers made for my SGX riggers that obviously have to be clearcoated to be fuel proof. On the small hatch cover on the rear of the SGX tub I had a small above mentioned transfer with the PPG 2021 Concept clear over them, first time I've tried the new clear. Well the inks seem to be letting the clear lift when exposed to fuel residue from the pipe outlet , as far as I can tell it's still bonding to the vinyl, just not the inks. This was never an issue with the old DAU clear, shoot it & forget it. It's not really an problem on the riggers, I'll remove the decal & just have the plain painted hatch. I am concerned that I'm getting ready to start prepping two new 1/8th scale hulls & the last thing I want is something like this happening to a mega dollar scale boat. Granted both of these do not have any inked transfers, they're all vinyl but still it's making me nervous. Besides I've had to have inked tranfers made in the past due to the complexity of the image ( '97 "Close Call" symbol as an example, used Concept colors but DAU clear). So, anyone out there tried the new Concept clears & if so let's have some feedback or issues you might have. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

I only use Deltron PPG when I paint and that company went to the strict law years ago here in California. Any ink transfer stickers will bleed. What I've had to do is mix small quantities of the mixed clear coat and spray the decals using my air brush. You should give it a couple thin coats. Once it dries apply the decals to your boat and then clear coat as needed. It's more work to do it that way but it works. Just don't touch them, finger prints stick out like a sore thumb LOL :lol:

Next, many people out here in California I know have complained recently about the clear coat taking some damage from the nitro, you know the slow tedious spotting and staining that occur. That never ever used to happen. We are hoping it was the fuel (O'Donnell's) but hey I can't really prove it so..........I'm trying new methods of blending my clears especially by weighing all the parts equally and keeping notes of any changes I've made to the mixtures for future references.

I feel your dreed over dropping down $100-$200 stickers and have the clear make them bleed, OUCH... :eek: Good Luck![/font]

" Next, many people out here in California I know have complained recently about the clear coat taking some damage from the nitro, you know the slow tedious spotting and staining that occur. That never ever used to happen. We are hoping it was the fuel (O'Donnell's) but hey I can't really prove it so......."

Well I can tell you this, O'Donnell's fuel will stain the crap out of a boat, they're are many out this way who will not run it for that reason alone. You should see what it does to a boat painted white ... YUK!! :eek:

Yeah I've seen it and owned some what used to be nice paint jobs gone bad from O'Donnell's. Going back to ordering RedMax, problem is buying it in case quantities. I'd prefer to buy one jug at a time at the LHS but mine don't carry it.

Know where I can order Byron's fuel??

Back