New NAMBA scale hydroplane 2-lap record!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CokeaColaGuy

Supporting Member
Wanted to shear with everyone that the Putich team with our formula set a new NAMBA two lap record yesterday. 23.8 seconds. We really wanted this one out here for Unw and Rcu. Thanks to everyone for sticking around for that last run. The boat was really hauling!

Last edited by a moderator:
good stuff guys!

I lol'd at Brian workin on the boat in the picture...tell him we hope he makes the trip to Alfred's race in February....we were blown away by his FE tunnel at last years race...

so everything he touches goes fast? rofl?

Those two have been chasing this for over a year and I've watched them come so close more than once. It was great to see how genuinely happy they were to get that record. It's whole reason we play these games. Congrats guys, it was a great day.

Lennard,

Just taking bore and stroke measurements. Someone's got to tech the engine. I put one really subtle tweak on the prop and that was the extent of me working on the boat. They really did a great job. One of the best running modern winged boats I've seen.

At this point Lohring and I are planning on coming down for the GP. Lots to do between now and Feb.

That's Dave Fox in the picture with Brian, working on the tech as well. I wish I had had video... you should have seen these two guys whooping and hollering after they finally did it! A LOT of hard work, paid off!!

As a scale side show, Brian drove my 22 year old Dave Frank Executone to an electric 1/8 scale record of 25.88 seconds. The boat was formerly owned by Jerry Dunlap and driven by his son Paul to several early race wins. Not as impressive as the Putich run, but very competitive with the other nitro scale boats. The power plant was picked for a low cost heat race boat, not the maximum the rules allow. Below is Jerry Dunlap's picture of the record run.

Lohring Miller

Wanted to shear with everyone that the Putich team with our formula set a new two lap record yesterday. 23.8 seconds. We really wanted this one out here for Unw and Rcu. Thanks to everyone for sticking around for that last run. The boat was really hauling!

Congrats!!! Great job, Adam, and Jim.... hard work for sure.

DJ

good stuff guys!

I lol'd at Brian workin on the boat in the picture...tell him we hope he makes the trip to Alfred's race in February....we were blown away by his FE tunnel at last years race...

so everything he touches goes fast? rofl?

Pretty much ......

Congrats guys.

Andy

Brian touched on a great point, most if not all 1/8th scale NAMBA/IMPBA speed/fast time records are held by non-wing boats.

for the Putich team to stick a "modern wing-boat" on the record books is pretty significant. Specially for modern wing boat fans...

most in california shy away from these boats because they do not want to deal with wings coming off/breaking in racing incidents. I cannot imagine how many sets of wings these guys went thru trying to break that record.

Congratulations to the Putich team - that is SMOKIN' !!!

Any information about the hull, engine, etc.

I was glad to see the record broken in the Pacific NW. You guys ran in relative isolation with APBA for so many years, it is really good to see you get the recognotion you deserve. Welcome to the rest of the 1/8 th Scale world . CHEERS !!! Bob

Brian touched on a great point, most if not all 1/8th scale NAMBA/IMPBA speed/fast time records are held by non-wing boats.

for the Putich team to stick a "modern wing-boat" on the record books is pretty significant. Specially for modern wing boat fans...

most in california shy away from these boats because they do not want to deal with wings coming off/breaking in racing incidents. I cannot imagine how many sets of wings these guys went thru trying to break that record.
They popped the wings off on several occasions. The great thing, these guys would go back to the pits and put it all back together. They never attempted the record without absolutely all the parts in place. I believe the boat is scratch built out of molds the Putich team made, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe the boat is scratch built out of molds the Putich team made, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It is a very, very beautiful boat! Paint is fantastic and it does truly look like a miniature of the real thing... Just plain and simply put, it's NICE!

The boat is from my original design from about 5 years a go. The first boat from the molds was the Lluimar, then the Budweiser. The Formula is the third generation and is far different than the original. It is so different that I have rebuilt a complete set of new molds based on all the changes made to the Formula. It is all carbion fiber vacuum bag construction, and weighs 12.5 lb r.t.r.

Hey CokeaColaGuy,

Why is it that my mind snapped to Myer's Dark Jamaican rum when I wrote that - Har, Har !!!

What makes that time even more outstanding is the fact that it was done with a modern style hull, with all that drag hanging on the hull. From the one pic here of the engine being measured - it is a very nice looking Scale boat.

Again, Congratulations, guys.

Lohring,

The no tail feather, cleaner cowl is very popular with Scale boaters everywhere. After you receive 6th place points for items falling off a boat a couple of times - you learn to choose a hull without. I can't tell you how many dummy engines I have seen ejected over the years. I built an '85 Miller American for a Friend years ago - three sets of verticals, horizontal wings was not enough to keep up with damaged / lost tail feathers - and they ALWAYS get run over when the simply fall off - Har, Har !!!.

Here are a few pics of what I raced over the years. I'll bet the Hull MHR number is familiar to you - Har, Har !!! I am building one that requires a dummy engine, but this one won't come off - Hopefully. CHEERS !!! Bob

Back