new motors continued

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro

I would like to take time to thank everyone that helped me before and at the Shootout.

Many racers had read my posts about the VAC motor and either came up to me at the race or have called since to find out how the motors were working. The motors worked fine: however if you can't keep constant fuel delivery to the motors, the motors won't run. Period!

I still haven't discovered the exact problem that hounded me all weekend, but I believe I know what it was. At one point Saturday, I tore down one carb for inspection and discovered a small shard of silcone tubing in the spray bar. Without being able to see inside the fuel tanks, I won't know if this is the problem. I'll build a pair of Sullivan tanks, to see if the problem is fixed, and then replace my metal tanks. I believe I have cut small pieces of tubing pushing my fuel lines onto the tanks, which then went into the tanks, and changed my flow rate.

And to Rick Bellinger: I really was sorry I sprayed down your starter box with my twin!!!!!!

Thanks to all, Nub Kopisca

I would like to take time to thank everyone that helped me before and at the Shootout.

Many racers had read my posts about the VAC motor and either came up to me at the race or have called since to find out how the motors were working. The motors worked fine: however if you can't keep constant fuel delivery to the motors, the motors won't run. Period!

I still haven't discovered the exact problem that hounded me all weekend, but I believe I know what it was. At one point Saturday, I tore down one carb for inspection and discovered a small shard of silcone tubing in the spray bar. Without being able to see inside the fuel tanks, I won't know if this is the problem. I'll build a pair of Sullivan tanks, to see if the problem is fixed, and then replace my metal tanks. I believe I have cut small pieces of tubing pushing my fuel lines onto the tanks, which then went into the tanks, and changed my flow rate.

And to Rick Bellinger: I really was sorry I sprayed down your starter box with my twin!!!!!!

NUBBY, You may want to check your fuel capacity also When you get them running. Round 4 I made 1 mill lap & Came to the start. Ran 6 laps & Came Out ...............Had less than 2 oz in each tank.... MY twin is a Xtreme 90 with tanks that fit...... I Had the most trouble keeping heat in the engines. They ran Cold all weekend.... jw......

One thing you can do is to sand the ends of the metal fuel tubing to round them over. This will keep you from cutting into the silicon tubing when sliding them on to the ends of the tubes coming out of the fuel tank.

Just make sure none of the sanding particles gets down in the metal tubing itself. You can always blow into the opposite tube to remove any particles out of the tube, if you have to.

David

I talked to Walt earlier about the situation. When I fill, I go directly into the brass tubing. Each time I risk cutting the fuel line. From now on, I will leave a piece of tubing on the brass tube and insert a well rounded brass fill pipe into the fuel tube on the tank. This way I won't be sliding fuel line over the fuel feed tube everytime I fuel up.

Walt was concerned about this issue. I will test with sullivan tanks, When I'm sure the problem is resolved, Walt want's the tanks back to disect to see if he can find particle that we think may be there.

This is not the only boat I have had this issue with. And I have always filled up this way. Hmmm?

Nub

Last edited by a moderator:
I talked to Walt earlier about the situation. When I fill, I go directly into the brass tubing. Each time I risk cutting the fuel line. From now on, I will leave a piece of tubing on the brass tube and insert a well rounded brass fill pipe into the fuel tube on the tank. This way I won't be sliding fuel line over the fuel feed tube everytime I fuel up.

Walt was concerned about this issue. I will test with sullivan tanks, When I'm sure the problem is resolved, Walt want's the tanks back to disect to see if he can find particle that we think may be there.

This is not the only boat I have had this issue with. And I have always filled up this way. Hmmm?

Nub
Nub, you need sump tanks. Using Sullivans at half tank drain you will start losing suction. Been there done that.
cool.gif

Add filters.... checked at each fillup...... and you have .....a running boat !! Wished I was there ... :)
It took Nub a long time just to use filtered cigarettes so one on a fuel line might take a little more time.

B) Mic :eek:

Nub, you need sump tanks. Using Sullivans at half tank drain you will start losing suction. Been there done that.
cool.gif

Jose

Thought about that also. I would mount a header tank on top of the Sullivan. As I've been looking around the shop I came across another set of tank I got with the boat. They're old tin tanks. They have solder on ferrils. I also filled them the same way, so they could also have problems. I may try to see if I can come up with two " good" tanks out of the four. I'd really like to find a way to remove anything I might have put in the tanks.

cool.gif
Jose

Thought about that also. I would mount a header tank on top of the Sullivan. As I've been looking around the shop I came across another set of tank I got with the boat. They're old tin tanks. They have solder on ferrils. I also filled them the same way, so they could also have problems. I may try to see if I can come up with two " good" tanks out of the four. I'd really like to find a way to remove anything I might have put in the tanks.

A Good Mechanics Sink, it can easily wash out any tank. just let the low pressure flow thru the tank for the day. OR call Walt Barney he sells New Ones...... jw

Back