New MITO 21 M Marine Engine Now Available for Pre-sale!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bob! This is just like all of the 14.5mm crank motors have always been...they only make the SG shaft for them. After you get the flywheel and flywheel collet from Ron you will need to machine a .130" recess in the front of the flywheel and then get the same Octura collet as I slways sold. It has the pilot portion that will reach inside the flywheel and get the threads. Oh yeah, you have to cut off the small section of the crank leaving just the short threaded section. It sounds more complicated than it really is. I always just did the mods for folks when they bought any of the 14.5mm crank motors. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do all I can to help out!!!!

GQ

Hey Bob! This is just like all of the 14.5mm crank motors have always been...they only make the SG shaft for them. After you get the flywheel and flywheel collet from Ron you will need to machine a .130" recess in the front of the flywheel and then get the same Octura collet as I slways sold. It has the pilot portion that will reach inside the flywheel and get the threads. Oh yeah, you have to cut off the small section of the crank leaving just the short threaded section. It sounds more complicated than it really is. I always just did the mods for folks when they bought any of the 14.5mm crank motors. Please let me know if you have any questions and I will do all I can to help out!!!!

GQ
Glenn,

That's all easy enough for me since I have a lathe. Guys without a lathe will need someone to help them with the mods. Do you remember the part number of that Octura collet?

So let me get this straight, 400 bucks give or take and I have to do mods to the crank to work in my boat. REALLY..

Flame suit on..

Hey Bob,

Glenn is right, slight machining will make the flywheel clear. This was the very first order so I will make sure marine flywheels are included with these engines going forward. I keep the extended reach Octura flex hexes in stock. Order what you need and I will send you a flywheel. Email me at [email protected] with any questions. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this straight, 400 bucks give or take and I have to do mods to the crank to work in my boat. REALLY..

Flame suit on..
Look closer Rene...
default_smile.png
No crank mods necessary. This was the first batch so the flywheel needs a little material removed and we have always used the extended reach Octura flex hexes that extend inside the end of the flywheel to reach the threads on the crank.
This is exactly why I had a reduced presale price so any small details like these can be addressed quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, I don't know the number but it is called the K&B volley. I'm sure Ron still sells them.

Rene, the mods only take about 10 minutes and don't cost anything (if you have access to a lathe). These are gonna be great motors so it is still a great deal. If enough of these motors sell maybe Ron can talk Nova into building a true marine crank, otherwise it is not worth the investment for the worldwide marine market.

GQ

Bob, I don't know the number but it is called the K&B volley. I'm sure Ron still sells them.

Rene, the mods only take about 10 minutes and don't cost anything (if you have access to a lathe). These are gonna be great motors so it is still a great deal. If enough of these motors sell maybe Ron can talk Nova into building a true marine crank, otherwise it is not worth the investment for the worldwide marine market.

GQ
I happened to have one of those collets on another engine I am not using so I got the mod done. It took 10 minutes on the lathe. I just used a small boring bar to do it all. After I took the pic I faced off the front of the flywheel back to the holes in order to gain access to the flex hex nut for tightening.

a.jpg

b.jpg

GQ
What if a guy does not have a lathe or access to one? Just asking

Beau

Beau,

I will make sure future engines include flywheel ready to go. The boxes come sealed so I do not open them up, and thought these engines would already have the flywheel. I keep everything in stock so future orders will be all set. Thanks.

GQ
I happened to have one of those collets on another engine I am not using so I got the mod done. It took 10 minutes on the lathe. I just used a small boring bar to do it all. After I took the pic I faced off the front of the flywheel back to the holes in order to gain access to the flex hex nut for tightening.
Thanks Bob for your post. I will have this already done for all future orders.

Some of the others have contacted me to let me know their engines came with a flywheel and collet. May have been an oversight at the factory with just a few of the initial engines. I will follow up the couple of people that ordered and did not get proper flywheels and collets when I get more details. Looks like this will be very easy to correct.

Back