New Lawless G-Drive

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulsetech--- that picture and the one that appeared in last season's catalog are both of the OLD style Lawless Drive on the Predator. Cool, but not quite as cool as the new style. And wait till you see the SPP carbon fiber pipe Dave is making up. It is WAAAYYYY cool!

Tim, I just weighed the unit, and I make it to be about 5 pounds, 4 ounces, less the prop and pipe, which I don't have yet.

Two reservations so far, and counting.

Fred

No pipe pics yet, the header is still under construction, Also i have been working from a sheetmetal template of the lawless lower so it wont look very prety. I might have to wait on the pics untill its bolted to a lawless thats shiny!!

Pipe weight is.....................abot 90 grams and the header well somewhere around 100 grams,

as for ordering a pipe there is only going to be three made untill all testing is complete and the fourth one is off to the netherlands but will probably have a diferent header. the headers are very diferent and water cooled!

Anybody know if the QD zenoah has the same exhaust port size and bolt patern as the g230 260 engines??

dave
Dave

One pipe to the Netherlands????????????? :huh:

Is it Arian?

Ronald.

What does this motor, pipe and lower unit setup cost?

Where do you get one?

Mark Hopper

Hi Mark

as quoted above the lower is around the $340 mark and the SPP pipe is still not priced as yet untill later when I finalise all the materials and labour charges.

is there a HTB 1/4 scale tunny??? more options the better.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

I have not got a boat for one but I could get interested on building one for one of these motors. What does the motor cost and will you be a source for the lowerunit and pipe?

Mark

Mark,

If you build one too, we will have someone to race in Jackson. :)

Sounds like FUN!

-Carl,

Mark the lowers are from fred only as far as I know but im sure the dealers are all lining up to get stocks in.

Im only going to supply pipes, i like to stick to one product and perfect it.

This particular pipe will come with the following

-Python C/F tuned pipe, muffled with diferent outlet orientations to suit full out racing or scale under a dummy engine cowl.

-water cooled header assembly to suit Zenoah, Q Draw or blank unmachined.

-pipe joiner with the capability to adjust the length so it will better suit a larger range of combos.

testing is still being done on the fully cowled pipe to ensure it can disipate the heat, The race pipe hauls!!!!

Im hoping it takes off here in OZ and I will be entering mine in the OZ nationals in April in with the Open Gas outriggers or open gas tunnels.

The lowers are about $340 as freds post states earlier.

back on to the steering servos for these beast i decided to use two jumbos with servo savers on each one. so while one pushes the other pulls, both being independant of each other and if I crash the servo savers should do their job. I did some searching on the 1/4 scale sprint cars some who are already enjoying the Python pipe and they use jumbo servo savers so i just need to locate them.

Regards

Dave

Dave we spoke about 6 months ago about engine cowls

i have a few mock ups i have made

if you give me some rough dimentions i will make one up

cowls will be c/f and look somthing like this
No wories mate, I have you on my list to call. I need to get a but further along with the project, Got a QD comming in soon so I can then mount one up with the pipe and see exactly what sizes the cover can be.

So mutch to do

seeya

Dave

hey all dave wot size r u gona run 23 or 26

we might have 2 get a pettrol ob class here there might b enaf

laters dion

Pulsetech--- that picture and the one that appeared in last season's catalog are both of the OLD style Lawless Drive on the Predator. Cool, but not quite as cool as the new style. And wait till you see the SPP carbon fiber pipe Dave is making up. It is WAAAYYYY cool!

Tim, I just weighed the unit, and I make it to be about 5 pounds, 4 ounces, less the prop and pipe, which I don't have yet.

Two reservations so far, and counting.

Fred

No pipe pics yet, the header is still under construction, Also i have been working from a sheetmetal template of the lawless lower so it wont look very prety. I might have to wait on the pics untill its bolted to a lawless thats shiny!!

Pipe weight is............4.2 oz..about 110 grams and the header well somewhere around1.7 oz 48 grams, all up 5.9 0z or 165 gr

as for ordering a pipe there is only going to be three made untill all testing is complete and the fourth one is off to the netherlands but will probably have a diferent header. the headers are very diferent and water cooled!

Anybody know if the QD zenoah has the same exhaust port size and bolt patern as the g230 260 engines??

dave
Dave, all of the Q/D 25's that I have ever owned have had 2 bolt patterns at the exhaust port, one for the pipes that would normally fit the Zenoah type pipes and another to suit the Q/D pipe, that uses a narrower spread on the bolts and a smaller bolt.

http://www.pixhost.com/pixm/mbawks/p1010583.jpg

Mike B

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that's a nice set up! I remember the first gas O/B versions..............look'd like they never took the whole weed whacker aprt and just bolted it to the transom! Now, it looks so **** small. COOL

Answers to all who have asked:

For the immediate future, I will be the source for the G-Drive. This is so that if any problems crop in the early stages of real-world use (beyond the initial testing), you can come back to me and we can work out the problems. As time goes by, I'm sure that some dealers might want to order the drive, but they probably won't be stocking more than one or two at a time.

The final weight figure that I come up with is 5 pounds and about 6 ounces, without a prop or pipe. From what Dave was saying about his SPP carbon fiber pipe, that and a prop should kick the total to about 6 pounds, give or take an ounce or so. I may undertake the challenge of making the drive lighter, but in all probability, I won't gain too much without a serious re-design. Considering that this process has now passed the 2-year mark in development, I'd like to hold off on any design changes for a while.

There is a steel pipe in the works. As I understand it, the design is a welded, formed steel unit of (as of now) unknown shape. It is still being tested and I have no idea as to the possible price or availability. I know Dave is working hard on his carbon fiber pipe and header, too.

As I stated in an earlier post, I am taking reservations for the first dozen production units. So far, I have 5 reservations. If you want to reserve a unit, send me a check for $50.00, or send me your Master Card or Visa Card number and I will charge $50.00 against it. The reservation is non-refundable if you cancel your order before I ship it. Frankly this is for a couple reasons. One reason is to defray the cost of the materials I have to buy to make them, and the second is to make sure that I have enough interest in the drive to make the large investment of my time worthwhile. After the first batch, I will probably still require some sort of deposit with an order, but I plan to wait and see on that issue. The approximate ship date for the first production units will be about May 1st, barring bad reports from the 7 people who will be field testing the prototypes. If all goes well, I will begin that batch in April. If I get some good reports right off, I may be inclined to move up the start date of the first production units.

Any questions, or to e-mail me about reserving a drive, please contact me at [email protected]

Or, you can still call me at 607-687-0143. My mailing address is R Manufacturing Co, 570 DuBois Road, Owego, NY 13827 (USA) Make checks to FRED HOWE

And now, I'm goin' back to work on them drives. (LOL)

Fred

If anyone in OZ is interested I will be selling the 1/4 scale tunny mould I have here soon. needs minor repairs.

Pm me if you want to know more.

Dave

So should I stop work on our big tunnel mould??? hehehehe

And yes I will be stocking the drives in Australia and yes Dion I have not forgotten about your drive...

I don't want to be in the retrieve boat if one of these monsters needs a rescue - they are going to be seriously heavy if they take on some water!!!!!!! Build in some tow rope hooks please!!!!!!!

Come to think of it - launching them will be interesting too! Might need some sort of crane / hoist :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I can't wait to see one run in Oz.......

Hey Guys and Gales,

This is the most I have ever read on the 1/4 scale out boards.

I realy think this is way cool! and knowing with all the information going back and forth that all the big toys wil run top notch, with the help of small tid bits and tricks.

Now, I want one!

Hey Guys and Gales,

This is the most I have ever read on the 1/4 scale out boards.

I realy think this is way cool! and knowing with all the information going back and forth that all the big toys wil run top notch, with the help of small tid bits and tricks.

Now, I want one!
Well we are estimating 3 weeks for the prototype boat..... but I think shipping to the US may be a bit prohibitive....

Back