New Gas Scale Record

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lohring

After a huge thrash by the highly paid (LOL) $ Bill pit crew, Kelly Gruol took over second off his gas scale two lap record. The new time of 24.56 seconds is only exceeded by gas hydros and sport hydros. It’s around the same as the fastest gas cats, all much smaller boats. Thanks to Brian Buaas for the killer 31 cc Zenoah, Marty Shallenberger for the loan of his COCR AC 1 prop, Mike Bontoft for the critical suggestion ("Stop screwing around and just change the carb"), and Mike Hughes for measuring the engine to the stupid NAMBA engine tech sheet.

It made my (and Kelly's) day.

Lohring Miller

congrats,i put a gps in my 79 circus gas scale, best speed was 64.8mph speed run , tried different prop and blew it over with less speed, long story short is had to send engine back to gizmo for new crank.........they replaced piston,crank w/ bearings, engine is a mod k 30

Any boat pics
I think JD said he took some pics. Hopefully he will share them.

Lohring worked hard to get the boat together as we had to do a motor change. I appreciate him letting me drive his boat,it's a blast.

Great pictures, thanks Jerry. The boat was coming into the shore at slow speed so the transom was dragging. At speed it runs flat. Also the front of the dummy engine is above the "scale" position due to the increased height of the long rod 31 cc engine. It can be easily fixed, but that was low on the list.

Lohring Miller

while he wasn't taking pictures, I think Jerry set a sport 20 record and the Putich (sp?) family set a record. Kely can give better details.Good work everyone!

I believe the Putich guys got both 1/8 scale and sport 60? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jerry had a sport 20 time .03 seconds under the previous record.

Nice work guys.

I believe the Putich guys got both 1/8 scale and sport 60? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jerry had a sport 20 time .03 seconds under the previous record.

Nice work guys.
Glenn Quarles also established a record in 1/2 A Hydro. The hydro is Glenn's 21 Brian Buaas rigger with NR 21 DD. Glenn hit a buoy attempting to lower his time and broke his 1/2 A Hydro in half.

JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Lohring, is that the 6207 ML Boatworks hull?
It's the Newton 106 plan frame kit that makes several boats on the master hull roster. The $ Bill is the 6221 hull. See the Propwash article Scaling Up to get an idea of that it took to get the boat to run. Many hull modifications and setup tricks were needed. Even with these it is tricky to drive, especially with the CrCo and Prop Shop style props. It likes ABC 2 blades better, but we had a limited selection and no time. Fortunalely Kelly is a professional driver.

Lohring Miller

Nice work, Guys!! Very proud of this District 8 effort! Sorry that Brian and I couldn't be here for this event or I'm sure we could have added some FE records to this mix. We were down in LA in the sunshine working on some records that don't require a precise turn at the end of the straights... ;)

Back