New gas rigger (project)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale Oldini

Hi, I’m starting a new project, I have a rigger, never assembled, made in the late 90,s for 15cc motors and now I want to try and run it with a Zenoah G260.

You can see some pictures HERE

I don’t have the sponsons and I have to make them, I have watched at some gas riggers, but I’m a little confused, now, in your opinion is it better to make a pair of sponsons like the Eagle SGX rigger (with a step) or is better to make a pair of sponsons like the Insane or Frank Bonanno’s riggers?

Another question, in my opinion the rear sponsons of my boat are too big…is it better to cut a piece of sponson and leave only ½” or can I glue a piece of wood under it to make a little ride pad?

Any comments or ideas are welcome!!

Regards

Ale

PS. I know that its easier to buy a new rigger, but I want to try this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who Makes this rigger?

Can you get with them about sponsons?

I have a Midwest missle, and dont know whos the other one is made by rigger.

Ones got the outside of the sponsons angled off the bottom, and then streight up.

Other one has no angle on it.

So tapers at the bottom of the sponson to the side and then streight up.

If your going to make some, MAKE 4. so you have a spair set.

I would balsa wood and then cover in carbon fiber cloth, SO it matches the boat.

also i see its tight in the engine bay.

You want to get the motor as low as you can, and Might have to make some flat surfaces on the sides to mount it to.

Remember Get your hardware on and then get your CG and then do the stuffing tube and mount engine.

If your CG is off, it will eather blowoff the water, or dunk.

I like my (from back) left side sponson 6 1/2 from tub, and right side one 5 1/2 from tub. I set it at specs and was to tippy, got out of shape alot.

Now its pretty much glued to the water and dont want to flip side to side in the marbles.

It looks like an old "piranha" from prather with some tub mods to acomodate the G23!

Gill

Nitrotoys, the rigger was build in the middle of the 90s by a member of our club (Milano, Italy), he started from an airplane! he cutted the wings and made some mods to fit the CMB 15cc, he developed the boat and after a couple of years he made a mold. My father bought the boat, but for some health problem of builder I never received the sponsons. The boat was "forget" in my garage and two day ago I found it and I decide to assemble it, I took a zenoah from my sport hydro and I put it in and it looks perfect.

Sponsons: you would make them in balsa wood and the cover with carbon fiber... No foam or "polyestiren" inside?

Can you tell me more or less the dimension? I have two eagle sg 90, can I use the general dimensions?

Last question:I have no idea about the CG on a rigger :( Have you some informations for me?

Thanks in advance

Ale

Hey Ale

I mentioned the Piranha rigger because I had two running good many years ago with Picco 80.and your tub looks inpired in it

To use this boat with a G23 you will need big sponsons like the ones used on the SG 90 but you will need to make some experiments to found out the best for this project.

All SG's and SGX's have the front sponsons in the same level of the rear ones so take this as a pattern to start your new front shoes.

You can also use the distance from the tub(same in the SG90).Parallelism is the rule with SG's sponsons so try this set up to start your tests.

CG usually is located near the turn fin so I would keep it near the collet of your G23 .I've been running a SGX with G26 and the Cg is around this portion of the boat.

Hope this help you to start.

Gill

Thanks Gill!!! Now I have some good data to start!

I'll keep you informed about the progress.

thanks

Ale

Back