New boat project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im hitting the water in the morning, got all my stuff loaded and ready to go. Ive got a BIG can of bug spray, you know how it is with a new boat, got to get rid of the bugs! I ll take some action shots and post them here tommorow,

Grim you will have mail tommorow for the website pics.... :D

~James

James

Take your time testing the boat.. it will take a little bit to get it right but the payoffs are great..

O yea.blip the power just a tad as you get in to the corner..

ROCK ON

Grim

I await the pics

Forgot the camera yesterday........im stupid.

That didnt stop me from testing though :p after a few hours of radio problems, i managed to run about ten tanks through the boat changing and tweaking the setup as I went. Got some good speed out of it in the end, I had to borrow props cause I sold all of my good stuff last year. out the four props tested, the barcut, pitched up 215 worked the best all around, but I want to try a few others later. It is a very well behaved boat, It handles very similar to the boats I usually scratch build, so the learning curve was minimal, ended up with 0 pitch on the engine, and bottom of the prop shaft 1mm above the sponson bottoms. This boat turns on a dime, and will barrell roll fairly easy with a bad cross wind(which we had), Once the steering throw was dialed out a bit, the problem went away. THE BOAT IS TUFF......remember the affor mentioned radio problems? the second time out I managed to slam it into the bank at WOT, after loosing the radio....not a scratch on it.

Thanks again for an AWESOME boat Mike. A few more test sessions and im ready. Internats here I come.....

Pics of the completed boat tonight.....I promise.

~James

James

Sounds good..

Your right the boat needs to be set up so that there is just enought to get it around the corner with just a tad more..

I have about .5 neg trim in mine and remeber the largest advatage to a wood transom is that you get your final ajustment by tightning the bottom or top bolts a half turn at a time.. "Wood is Good"

Also dont be shy on getting that motor in the air.. the motor should start to, as Grimracer says" (ring a bell) when the height is right.

Look forward to the pics...glad you did not hurt the boat in the crash.

Grim

Grimracer said:
Also dont be shy on getting that motor in the air.. the motor should start to, as Grimracer says" (ring a bell) when the height is right.
What height are you running in refernce to the sponson bottoms? I wanted to play with this more but ran out of time......

~James

James,

Let me check (im not sure i remember) and i will get back to you..I will say this.. if its a X prop, prather or other low lift prop it will be deeper then a cupped lifting prop.

Grim

Smacked the bank at WOT!!!! Sheeeesh!!!!! Well I do have problems with Large Turtles :lol:

Im guess'n Mike's setup is close to mine so "IT BANGS LIKE A GONG" at 1/8" above :D

Gene, ......speaking of turtles, my buddy got his brand new HTB290 and MAC outboard hauling tail around 50-52mph.....and hit a turtle at full song. :eek: Ripped the motor right off the back of it, luckily it broke the plastic pivot peice on a dubro mount. Only thing holding it on was the throttle cable......he got lucky! It made a mess of the skeg on the new Lawless lower though....

"1/8 above" do you mean centerline is 1/8 above? or bottom of shaft? i measure at the bottom of the shaft......so it would actually be about 1/8 above if you measure the centerline.

Let me know what you find Grim....

~James

Gene, ......speaking of turtles, my buddy got his brand new HTB290 and MAC outboard hauling tail around 50-52mph.....and hit a turtle at full song. :eek: Ripped the motor right off the back of it, luckily it broke the plastic pivot peice on a dubro mount. Only thing holding it on was the throttle cable......he got lucky! It made a mess of the skeg on the new Lawless lower though....

"1/8 above" do you mean centerline is 1/8 above? or bottom of shaft? i measure at the bottom of the shaft......so it would actually be about 1/8 above if you measure the centerline.

Let me know what you find Grim....

~James

Ha,Ha, Theres a echo in here :lol:

I had to log off cause I could not get the page to reload, Man sorry to hear bout yer Buddy,

Dem turtles is everywhere !!!!

Bottom of sponson to center of propshaft is where I measure from, that's my baseline setup for the X440 or mod 442, 1440 setup I am still working on ;)

Gene :D

Last edited by a moderator:
heres some pics of it completed, I didnt get home before sundown Mike to get any "good" shots of it in the grass or something....but feel free to use one of these for the website until I get some better ones.....If you need me to actually email it to you let me know.

Pic1

Gene heres a pic of my "special" muffler......It was considerably quieter than my buds new Irwin pro quiet pipe......

~James

James

Mine is .150" from centerline of stub to sponson bottoms "setup board".. just a tad higher then gener.. but right in the ball park..

If you are running a low lift prop you can run deeper but if you are running a cut lifting prop you typically run higher.

Submerging a lifting prop on a tunnel is a BAD IDEA.. :blink:

Picks look good..

Grim

Latest posts

Back