New Addition: PT Sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanKewley

I maidened the new addition to my racing fleet today. A Phil Thomas Sport 40

It was a VERY good day with the exception of a brand new HS-85MG dorking out... must have been a bad pot from the factory. The ride stance seemed a bit light in the front on smooth water, even with 4oz of lead in the sponson tips. I'm going to lower the strut to 15/16" from 7/8 and test her again. Strut was flat... I may give her a bit of negative too. I settled on a x450/3 for my prop choice. :)

PT_SS45_pic1.jpg

PT_SS45_pic2.jpg

PT_SS45_pic3.jpg

It was a VERY good day with the exception of a brand new HS-85MG dorking out... must have been a bad pot from the factory. The ride stance seemed a bit light in the front on smooth water, even with 4oz of lead in the sponson tips. I'm going to lower the strut to 15/16" from 7/8 and test her again. Strut was flat... I may give her a bit of negative too. I settled on a x450/3 for my prop choice. :)
Pretty boat but I think I like the woman better.

Pretty boat but I think I like the woman better.
Me too :D

Sweet boat, lose those hs-85mg they will cook every time, especially on 6 volts. B)

Sweet boat, lose those hs-85mg they will cook every time, especially on 6 volts. B)
6oz of lead in left front sponson none in right lots of spoiler angle

Last edited by a moderator:

Really!?! I wasn't aware of that. I can set my BEC to 4.8 volts. Maybe I should do that.

I was testing with a brand new 81 and blew that out pushing a throtle rod... Not to sure about Hitec micros.... Might see if I can fit a 225 in the box...

I like the lady better also!!!!! Nice boat though!!!!

Yhe 81's will not handle 6 volts. I have been running the HS85MG's for throttle in my sport 40 and my scale for three yeaars with no issues at all.

Great looking Super Sport! Phil changed the bottom on those boats a while back, the earlier version trapped more air and required more negative strut angle than the current design. The Hitec 81's and 85's are junk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Larry. Are you running a flat strut on your SS45?

What are some good alternatives to the HS-85? The HS-225 looks pretty close in size.

Thanks Larry. Are you running a flat strut on your SS45?

What are some good alternatives to the HS-85? The HS-225 looks pretty close in size.
Sean,

I run Futaba3102 micro servos in installations where I need smaller servos. The Hitec HS225 is a mini servo so it's case size is larger than the 81's or 85's which are micro servos as well. My boat has the newer style bottom, front radio box and the main fuel tank is a 12 oz Sullivan inside the Starboard sponson as far forward as it will go,with a 2oz. hopper tank by the engine. Strut at 7/8" deep and I run less than half degree negative angle. I have about 3oz. of lead in the very front of the Port sponson. Mac 45 engine CMDI Parabolic pipe at 10" X450/3 prop.

Larry

Back