New 1980 Bud (back up boat) 1/8th Scale

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Velasco hull fresh out of paint. Still need to add the cockpit details and stacks.

attachicon.gif
P4250169.JPG
attachicon.gif
P4250170.JPG
Wow!!!!, Mike, she is gorgeous!

Did that boat run with the full cowl?

I always liked that hull as it became the Captran Resorts after, which I ran back in the 80's and 90's as a model. Red engine block in the Captran (old bud engines).

Thinkin' I might have to see about a Brian Buas hull with that cowl and do the Captran again.

Velasco hull fresh out of paint. Still need to add the cockpit details and stacks.

attachicon.gif
P4250169.JPG
attachicon.gif
P4250170.JPG
Wow!!!!, Mike, she is gorgeous!

Did that boat run with the full cowl?

I always liked that hull as it became the Captran Resorts after, which I ran back in the 80's and 90's as a model. Red engine block in the Captran (old bud engines).

Thinkin' I might have to see about a Brian Buas hull with that cowl and do the Captran again.
Hi Rob,

Came out pretty good. 3 coats of clear so once it hardens it can be buffed out. Yeah it did run with a cowling. Roger Newton took some photos that I got from David to paint the boat and order graphics. Originally it was the 72 Notre Dame. Nowhere in any of the photos was the name of the driver who drove in Seattle. Looking at the graphic on the nose, I'm pretty sure it wasn't Dean Chenowith. I'm a little sketchy on the history (glug, glug, toke, toke :blink: -it was 1980) other than the way I painted the boat was the way it raced in Seattle after an accident in the Griffon (the straightaway attempt where he lost the rudder?). I believe Dean won the first 5 races of 1980 in the Griffon Bud. No doubt one of the hydrophiles will know the story. I'm going to ship it down to Bad Bob Hulliger in Palm Desert to do his cockpit magic.

It says "this race is for DEAN" he wasn't the driver...it was in memory of him because of his unfortunate death at the 1982 Columbia cup in the Griffon Bud.

There was a similar hull prior to the Griffon Bud...it was originally the Pay-N-Pak. It did run with an exposed engine.

It says "this race is for DEAN" he wasn't the driver...it was in memory of him because of his unfortunate death at the 1982 Columbia cup in the Griffon Bud.

There was a similar hull prior to the Griffon Bud...it was originally the Pay-N-Pak. It did run with an exposed engine.
That's where it's a little fuzzy. This boat ran in 1980 in Seattle ( I have photos of it in the water in Seattle with the nose graphics), two years before Dean's death in TC. According to the master hull roster it definitely started as the 72 Notre Dame.

That's where it's a little fuzzy. This boat ran in 1980 in Seattle ( I have photos of it in the water in Seattle with the nose graphics), two years before Dean's death in TC. According to the master hull roster it definitely started as the 72 Notre Dame.
I wonder if the pictures you have were in early testing in Seattle after Dean's crash of the 79 Griffon Bud while going for the 1 mile record in Seattle in 1979? That first Griffon Bud was destroyed and a new hull built for 1980. Possibly the graphics were applied to the backup 1980-108 hull after the crash and remained untill early 1980. The backup boat was later sold to Keith Trowbridge ( driven by Bobbie Howard and Steve Reynolds) who ran it as the Captran Resorts in 1981.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW Mike you have done a fantastic job with the hull -- would really like to see it run -- maybe this year at the NAMBA Nats or (wish full thinking) Hobart) 2014

That boat was the 7025 hull that Bernie Little purchased from the Pay'N Pak team after the 1972 season and later sold after the 1975 season. The new owner then shipped it to Australia after the 1978 season where it won multiple season championships. It's successor, the 7612 hull ran as the Budweiser from 1976 through the 1978 season only to be sold and replaced by the first Griffon boat, nicknamed "The Juggernaut", prior to the 1979 season. Both of the pre-Griffon boats ran an exposed engine due to the cowl design used

I wonder if the pictures you have were in early testing in Seattle after Dean's crash of the 79 Griffon Bud while going for the 1 mile record in Seattle in 1979? That first Griffon Bud was destroyed and a new hull built for 1980. Possibly the graphics were applied to the backup 1980-108 hull after the crash and remained untill early 1980. The backup boat was later sold to Keith Trowbridge ( driven by Bobbie Howard and Steve Reynolds) who ran it as the Captran Resorts in 1981.

Could be Rob,

Marty has a book showing the boat as W/D for the Seattle race in 1980, but scoring 4th Place in San Diego that same year. For my purposes the hull was previously registered by Mick Shutt in RCU (there is or was a photo of it on the RCU website) and Mark Auker in UNW. Somewhere along the line it was considered a legal registration.

Its in the master hull roster as the 7207 hull.

72,73 U-7 NOTRE DAME 29 - 0 13 - 4 6 - 8 2 - 3 16 - 0

74 U-76 MISS COTTS BEVERAGE ( 42.50 - 44.50 ) ( 18.00 - 22.00 ) ( 9.00 - 11.00 ) ( 3.04 - 3.71 ) ( 21.60 - 26.40 )

74 U-76 U-76

74 U-76 MISS NORTHWEST TANK SERVICE

75 U-76 MISS TECHNICOLOR

75 U-76 MISS VALVOLINE PICKLEFORK DEPTH 57 INCHES

75 U-76 BOOTHEADS ( 6.41 - 7.84 )

76 U-77 SPIRIT OF DAYTON WALTHER

80 U-12 MISS BUDWEISER

81 U-20 CAPTRAN RESORTS

Hey Guys:

Just for fun. This is the actual back up motor for Captran Resorts. I'm installing it in the 1969

NOTRE DAME replica. So far, the entire engine has it's original paint. See attached photo.

ND13.jpg

Nice! Very cool to see another restoration in progress. May I ask what the cylinders are that lie on either side of the engine? Fuel tanks?

Mike, I didn't say this earlier...Very nice work! This hull has always been a mystery to me...

Hey Guys:

Just for fun. This is the actual back up motor for Captran Resorts. I'm installing it in the 1969

NOTRE DAME replica. So far, the entire engine has it's original paint. See attached photo.
Wow, that's awesome!!!

The cylinders you see are the gas tanks, both are 30 gallons each. The original NOTRE DAME hull was destroyed in 1971. The hull you see is built from scratch. So everything is new. The engine and gearbox combination raced in the Captran Resorts' hull. Hope that helps...

Welcome to IW Jim! What a great project! It will be a real treat to see the Notre Dame back on water. I saw in Bob Burd's book that you had begun building - I hope I get to see it run some day!

Hey Guys & Gals - I made a trip down to the HARM yesterday to verify some info. I knew what had happened, I just didn't know why! At the 1980 Seattle race, Dean qualified the Griffon Bud @ 136.571, about a half a mile an hour slower than the Atlas. So, in typical Bernie-style one-up-manship, he was sent out to "improve" his position. Somewhere between 180 & 190 mph the boat took off & barrel-rolled. Dean broke 3 more ribs (I think he broke 6 in the '79 boat) and a shoulder blade and had water in his lungs and was taken to Harborview medical center. The eerie part is Dean said he felt the same "shudder" as before even though he was going at least 30 mph slower. Anyway, the boat was withdrawn. Bernie had purchased the 7207 equipment in '71 & had it painted and it was kinda/sorta ready to assume a back-up role. Ron Snyder qualified the boat @ 108.434. That was probably when the graphics in question were applied. However, it was then determined that the 7207 hull had some structural issues and was also withdrawn. Then, Chuck Hickling's "Tempus", driven by Bob Maschmedt, was commissioned to stand in as the Miss Budweiser. Although it never saw a 100 mph heat, the Tempus/Bud garnered another 769 points toward the national high points. And so, when the San Diego finale rolled around, repairs had been made to the 7207 and Dean said he was ok to drive. All they needed to lock-up the Championship was 600 points. The engine in the boat was "a little suspect" but Dean nursed it around for 2 first place finishes in what can only be called "B" heats. Then the engine expired on start-up before the 3rd heat but by then it didn't matter - they had the points they needed.

Latest posts

Back