New .12 Outrigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Leyde

Club Racer
This last year I learned a ton about the .12 outriggers. By mid summer my .12 Bantam did not look like it's original design. I made a few changes to it. But I still wanted something better. I bought a set of Tom's new gooycheese plans. While they are a great set of plans and Paul (Gooycheese) has his running really well. It was not quite what I was looking for. So I designed my own .12 rigger and am in the process of building two of them right now. This little hull should take some of the frustration out of getting these small riggers to plane off for the newbie .12 rigger people. I hope to have them ready to try out around the first of the year. Yes the lakes will be froze up here in the north by then. :angry: So I will have to go south to try them out. :D

If all goes well I will be selling them as complete hulls. The deck will be the only thing left to glue on. This way it will be easier to mount servo rails and such. It will also come with a nice looking cowling.

Stay tuned for more info.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
This last year I learned a ton about the .12 outriggers. By mid summer my .12 Bantam did not look like it's original design. I made a few changes to it. But I still wanted something better. I bought a set of Tom's new gooycheese plans. While they are a great set of plans and Paul (Gooycheese) has his running really well. It was not quite what I was looking for. So I designed my own .12 rigger and am in the process of building two of them right now. This little hull should take some of the frustration out of getting these small riggers to plan off for the newbie .12 rigger people. I hope to have them ready to try out around the first of the year. Yes the lakes will be froze up here in the north by then. :angry: So I will have to go south to try them out. :D
If all goes well I will be selling them as complete hulls. The deck will be the only thing left to glue on. This way it will be easier to mount servo rails and such. It will also come with a nice looking cowling.

Stay tuned for more info.

Mark
Mark, are you going to be at the Nov 8th mtg? I'm interested in what you have going on there w/your .12 riggers.... I am building one and hope to have at least 1 more (a little more radical) ready for next summer.

Mark, are you going to be at the Nov 8th mtg? I'm interested in what you have going on there w/your .12 riggers.... I am building one and hope to have at least 1 more (a little more radical) ready for next summer.

Todd I will not be there. I will be deer hunting.

It's so cool to see more people running .12's ...
I can't wait till someone makes a RTR .12 rigger!!!! :p
They sure are fun to watch...TCMBC has run them for two seasons.First year there were three,this year between six and eight, and next season is shaping up to have nearly a dozen.

Larry

I have another batch of .12 motors arriving here tomorrow. I will have both 5 ports and 3 ports, and they include the new Novarossi flywheel they made for me. Still $155.

Glenn

I have another batch of .12 motors arriving here tomorrow. I will have both 5 ports and 3 ports, and they include the new Novarossi flywheel they made for me. Still $155.
Glenn
I will be testing these with the 5 port that I got from you Glenn. I would recommend this motor to anyone getting into the .12 class.

Mark

Glenn
I will be testing these with the 5 port that I got from you Glenn. I would recommend this motor to anyone getting into the .12 class.

Mark
Thanks Mark! Yeah these little motors are running really good from all of the reports I have been getting.

Glenn

Glenn

Mark
Thanks Mark! Yeah these little motors are running really good from all of the reports I have been getting.

Glenn
Glen, have you compared the performance of the three port and five port motors? Is one superior to the other?

Larry

Glenn

Mark

Glenn
Glen, have you compared the performance of the three port and five port motors? Is one superior to the other?

Larry
Larry, both are running really good. I think the 3 port has better timing on the sleeve than the 5 port does. Maritn Truex and I have compared numbers and it is easier to get the exhaust and intakes to fall in line (around 180*, 130*) with the 3 port. On my 5 port the intakes are pretty high by the time I get the exhaust to 180* by shimming the sleeve. But it still runs really good!

Bottom line is that both seem to be running about the same props and seem to be running good.

Glenn

Boaters,

The 3-port has hit 72 MPH with a V-937/3 on a heat race set up.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Glenn

Mark

Glenn

Larry
Larry, both are running really good. I think the 3 port has better timing on the sleeve than the 5 port does. Maritn Truex and I have compared numbers and it is easier to get the exhaust and intakes to fall in line (around 180*, 130*) with the 3 port. On my 5 port the intakes are pretty high by the time I get the exhaust to 180* by shimming the sleeve. But it still runs really good!

Bottom line is that both seem to be running about the same props and seem to be running good.

Glenn
Thanks for the info Glenn, The A hydro class will be one of the biggest classes in our club next season, and I'm catching flak from all directions about sitting on the fence and watching. :)

Larry

Tom,

That might be challenged by others. Paul's boat runs well, but I know of others

that will take him out. There is a lot of information that we have learned in a rather

short time frame this year on 12 motors and propeller set ups. Better get that new

design ready soon. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

well I wont claim to know alot about engines and props.... but I learned a trick about rigger design that I took to the pond today.... didnt get results really cause the freezing rain made it difficult! but it did have moments of greatness....

Tom,
That might be challenged by others. Paul's boat runs well, but I know of others

that will take him out. There is a lot of information that we have learned in a rather

short time frame this year on 12 motors and propeller set ups. Better get that new

design ready soon. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

guys, my new 12 boat runs around 68-70 pretty easy with a few different props, 3 degrees aoa, full turn fin, speedmaster mini rudder, 65% nitro, nova and glenns pipe, and still turns well..i had it at 72 and change on the radar gun last week with a v937and think i went a little faster when i didnt have the gun on it..it runs very well indeed but until it runs up around 80 it just aint cutting it..at least thats the way i see it, remember the record is over 79, thats impressive.i also know glenns boat made some runs in the mid 80s.. i am curious how fast preston halls boat ran in the straights on his 2 lap record?

Back