needle setting for breakin

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
couldn't give a specific count.. open it so that a slightly heavy mist blows from the plug hole... start it and get it to where you can hold it wide open and maintain a high idle.. run 2 tanks on the bench like that with no cooling.. get it hot and real rich..

then go to lake and turn down till it will run closer to normal and start there.. just my opinion..

Problem with this question is too many variables. Kind of pipe. Size of pressure fitting and line. Size water fittings and line. Water temp and prop size just for a few. I would just start richer then you think and lean down.

I thought he was asking for first bench runs.. I will run a few tanks on the bench first.. it's late in the season,.. if the water is cold be careful that you do not over cool a new motor.. very hard on rods.. let it be very rich and hot for the first few tanks,.. using the fuel as cooling really. so rich that holding it wide open makes the boat just plane out,.. no more.. we have talked about this here so many times. I have learned that my motors last ALOT longer when I break in like this.. first 5-6 tanks should be blubbery rich, and hot,.. not like overheating hot.. but maybe 200-220f. it has worked very well for me and NR also recommends the hot / rich method..

Thanks guys. I will be bench running first. Guess I'll go w/o water cooling and keep check on heating.

It's really simple . Open the needle valve , any needle valve 4 full turns . If you can get the engine running and keep it running at anything less than full throttle you are at least close . My rule of thumb over the years is to get it running but not be able to critically overspeed the engine with throttle . Gradually lean the engine down , no water till it it is still VERY rich and work the throttle back and forth for a full tank before hitting the water . The fuel mixture being rich keeps the engine cool . Then put it on the water a little leaner to actually be able to drive it and work the throttle for a few tanks , At this point you are basically done with initial break in . Some super tight engines will take many gallons of fuel to be " Just right "

Last edited by a moderator:
What would be a good needle setting to break in an AA45? Using K&B remote needle.
There is No relative FLOW Number.. Cause the Viscosity of Fuel Differences & Air Quality. Tom, would say turn the needle out till its about as Rich as a Foot up a Bulls Ass?? & keep the piston speed low....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back