• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

needed- a quart of PPG DZ-3

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
Like the header says I need a quart of PPG DZ-3 gray primer. My PPG dealer will not sell less than gallon cans which will take forever to use up. My old PPG dealer where I used to live stocked it in quarts, guess everyone is different. :unsure:

I seem to remember you asking before for the same thing. Looks the gallon ain't that much now. You would be half way there. :p

Mike

I seem to remember you asking before for the same thing. Looks the gallon ain't that much now. You would be half way there. :p Mike
Well the big issue is once you open the can you have a limited shelf life, you need to keep the air in the partial can to a minimum. DZ3 dries when exposed to the open air, you just use DTL or lacquer thinner to cut it enough to go thru the spray gun. The guys at the place I used to get my PPG stuff from (who would sell it by the quart) told me once you get below 1/2 can of DZ3 in the gallon form you better use it quick. If this sxxt wasn't so expensive to begin with I'd buy a gallon & have them put it in 4 one quart cans but it probably would sit around forever. Then again back when I got the last quart from Bob Finn I had only planned on finishing the '94 Joe's. Then the Speedy Printing came along (Mikey's boat now), then a Bud T-4 sorta found it's way to me & now the '96 Joe's and I still want to eventually do the '99 Freddie's Club (full deck version). I keep saying after each build that'll be it for scales for a while, maybe I should start listening to myself ........

..... nah, haven't been before, no sense in starting now. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Don,

I'll see if my Deltron dealer will do it. I had a huge contact there but he quit and went to House of Kolorz, but where I on't know?. That hurt, now I pay fullllll PRICE. There close Sunday so I'll let you know Monday.

Like the header says I need a quart of PPG DZ-3 gray primer. My PPG dealer will not sell less than gallon cans which will take forever to use up. My old PPG dealer where I used to live stocked it in quarts, guess everyone is different. :unsure:
Stop by the local body shop. You'd be supprised how much crap they have laying around. I paint at least twice a week and still get about 1/4th of my paint and primer from their used paint cabinet. I pay them 1/2 price, I get a deal and they are tickled to death to get rid of it.

Will flushing the can with N2 gas before sealing help the shelf life? As I recall it is usually O2 that casues the paint the gel. Another option is to put it into screw top quart cans (tall cans like brake fluid comes in) with a N2 pad over top when you seal them up. You can make a special lid that you can use N2 pressure to siphon the paint out of the can.

This guy says he will sell any PPG product by the quart: Item number: 170086696052 Rudy
Thanks for the tip Rudy. The only drawback is he asks to allow 1-3 weeks for shipping so one would need to order in advance. His prices aren't too bad and he says free shipping in the auction listing but then talks about shipping cost in the text. I sent him an e-mail for a quote so we'll see..... :unsure:

Bob Morton has fixed me up with a quart of DZ-3 so I'm good for now. B)

This guy says he will sell any PPG product by the quart: Item number: 170086696052 Rudy
Well I just got a reply from this guy. First off he didn't know what DZ-3 was. Second, his prices on DP primer & catalyst was about $5-10 cheaper than local supplier BUT he charges $20 per quart for shipping & hazmat fees. :eek:

Back