Need input on .12 rigger ideas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eric,

Thanks for the info on the swept back rudder. I forgot that it lifts when you turn, I remember reading that some where.

I am going to order one of those from DPI and see what I can do with it, maybe even 2 there so cheap.

-MikeP

Rudder shape v.s. rudder pivot angle

Hi Gents,

In my humble opinion, the shape of the leading edge of the rudder ( i.e. swept slightly or straight down) has less to do with lifting the transom than the actual pivot angle of the entire rudder.

I have found that my boats behavior in the corners can be changed by modifying the pivot angle of the rudder. Angling the pivot point so that the rudder bottom is further away from the transom

//===========>

will lift the transom when the rudder is turned.

The opposite

===========>

will pull the transom down as the rudder is turned.

Hey Trent,

Long time no see dude!

Anyhoo,

I think Trent is right and wrong. A flat rudder that is swept back shouldn't generate any lift, but a wedge rudder that is swept back will produce lift no matter what the pivot angle is.

Chris

Hey Chris! Good to hear form you man - how the heck are ya?? Give me ring sometime...

Now about that rudder not lifting at any pivot angle... ;)

I don't think that they'll sell just the blade only. For the price, you'd might as well get the whole thing. Let me know if you need one and I'll see if I can get some from the LHS. I can get your address from Wade.

Just send me a blade. Save ya on the postage. I will see what I need to do to make it fit on my Hammerhead. If it works just as good or better than what I have now. Might wanna consider it as a candidate for your hardware set.

Hammer

I got my got my hot wire foam cutting thingy today. Anybody who plays with foam should have one of these. I need to hurry and build something.

Thanks for the tip Don.

I should be getting the fiber filled injection molded rudder from DPI any day now.

-MikeP

I've been thinking of getting one of those table-top hot wire cutters for doing the sponsons on the Hammerhead .12. The Composites Store also has the material for making templates. I did mine the old-fashioned way, a hacksaw to rough it out the I used a small Bondo type of "Cheese grater" to finish them. It works great and has been handy for removing small pieces of excess wood quickly too!

Ron, if you a going to sell the foam sponsons pre-cut then a hot wire jig is the only way to fly...

Actually if you set up a three jig cutting station you could quickly make a dozen spoons in just a few minutes.

In comes a piece of rough cut 2" foam and every jig will guide the hot-wire cutter to make a side of the foam sponson.

Ron's way is the way I used to do it too, it works good and is pretty fast. The thing I noticed was the lack of foam dust, I wont miss that at all.

-MikeP

I got the DPI rudder in and made a mount for it. The hinge pin is .125" the same size as the R/C buggy suspension hinge pins. I still had a drilling jig and reamer for those from my car days. It looks like it will work just fine. It weighs 11 gr.

-MikeP

Hey Mike,

If the hot wire gets a little gummed up with epoxy or something I just run some steel wool over it and it's like new again.

Thanks Don,

I got some plastic on it from the carpet tape. I will give steel wool a try. I used it yesterday and got some sponsons built. I sure like using a hot wire.

Hammers parallel sponson sides, carpet tape from Tom, hot wire from Don sure makes buiding sponsons fast and fun. I spent at least a week building my first ones, now it takes a few hours.

-MikeP

Back