Need input on .12 rigger ideas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don,

I have been checking the weights of different material. I think that the .064 CF is a bit thick and heavy, some of the guys here are using CF but really thin stuff .032 or less.

I have not used CF for a radio box cover, I have to be able to see in the box or I go crazy wondering whats going on inside.

I have never used anything but .032 lexan. The last ones I covered with transparent monocoat trim sheet. The monocoat protects the lexan from fuel and I can still see inside.

www.ad.kengarff.com/mikep/cf90/cover.jpg

-MikeP

The last four riggers I have made have all had CF covers. I think that if you make your radio configuration bullet proof, you won't need to check it all the time. If you do get ants in your pants about it, what's a few inches of tape? Anything will work fine, but it's pretty hard to beat the attractivness of CF.

Hammer

Hi Gents,

I hope this will help, or give you some ideas -

Here is some .12 rigger work I did back in 1994 or so.

I used an OS .12 CZR with 172 degrees of exhaust timing (155 was stock), 60% fuel, a MAC 2.5cc pipe and header, Octura 3" solid mount, Hughey hardware and a 1640 prop. It really flew, but the sponson ride surfaces needed to be about 3/8" wider on each side.

12rigger1.jpg

12rigger2.jpg

we really need a .12 rigger website.... they are comming out of the wood work!

I went back and found some talk about vee bottom riggers. The ones that were tested were 23deg. What I picture in my head is 23 deg instead of 26 will have a little more drag and lift but should be more stable. 26 will have less drag and lift, cut through rough water better but not as stable.

Using Propjockys formula I came up with the angles......... 24.5 deg.

-MikeP

Unbelievable Trent!

Here I'm trying to get all the weight to the front of the boat and you stick everything next to the transom and it's fast! "I GIVE UP" : :)

Thanks for the pictures Trent.

Nice looking boat.

Don ;D

Thanks Don,

I started with about 1 degree of strut angle when the motor was stock with 60%, but after the porting, even that was a bit much after it came up on the pipe. It would get a little hoppy down the back (rougher) straights. I ended up with almost a flat setup with the 1640.

...and having no rear sponsons didn't help either ;)

This is what I think is going on with the nitro levels in my .12. If I use 30%/ 18% oil, I can lean it out and it gets on the pipe immediately. If I go to 55%/20% oil with the same needle, I fry plugs. If I back of the needle to where it stops frying plugs, it won't get on the pipe. I can thought that maybe I could shorten the pipe, but it went back to frying plugs. I then tried lengthening it. No pipe action at all. I like the performance that I'm getting with the 30%. What do you guys think.

Hammer

I was running 2 head shims I believe, and McCoy #9 plugs with the 60%. The .12's and .15's I was running ran cooler, faster and idled much more reliably with high nitro. Once you get the head clearance right, and a good cold plug you should have much better results.

Hammer,

Check your head clearance, find out where your at first.

-MikeP

Hammer,

If you have access to the equipment, or a friend who can do it for you, then try increasing the bowl volume using a 2 flute ballnose cutter. Only take out a small amount at a time tho, espescially on an engine that small! It is better to try to maintain a tight head clearance so that the squish band works properly! ;D

Ian.

Hey,

I found a injection molded composite rudder. The only reason I didn't buy it was the leading edge of the rudder is angled back. Does anybody know if that is a good or bad thing for a hydro?

-MikeP

Mike, if you want to try an injection molded plastic rudder take a look at one made by DPI. It has a straight leading edge and a flat bottom on it which is supposed to help with lift on the back. A tapered leading edge, I don't know, how about it guys. ???

Wouldn't that be like a built in rudder kickback? This will help lift the transom in the corners. I've seen Trent use rudders shaped like this on some of his hydros.

What is the measurement on the rudder hinge shaft. That looks ultru light. Might be able to slap it right on my Hammerhead .12 with a little modification. If the holes are less than 4mm, than I could ream them out to fit right on my hinge.

Hammer

The MRP boats have the rudder kickback feature. The DPI uses a plastic tapered pin that could easily be drilled out or tapped. I've got a Nitro Fury in my basement that has the rudder on it. DPI makes the Nitro Fury, it's a nitro version of the Shiada River Racer with basically a different deck. The only other probem you might encounter is the steering bracket might be a little weak and could be swapped out with an airplane control horn.

I just went down and measured the rudder. The mount is 1" square and the hinge pin is out 7/8" from the mounting plate. The blade hangs down 3" below the mount. Think it might work? If anyone thinks it would work, I'll order a bunch of them and if I need to, I'll rip the one off the Nitro Fury. If you need the weight, I can take it to work and throw it on the digital scale there.

Back