Need advice for JAE 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add a bit of toe in to the right sponson or maybe try shimming the right side of the strut out a few degrees away from the rear of the boat to compensate for propwalk if you shim the strut out the boat may pull to the left a bit at low speed but once you open it up it should run a straight line.......Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
How much toe in do you have on the right front sponson? If you have them set up without any toe in, put 1/8 inch in the right front sponson and try it again. I would add a little toe in before I shimmed the strut.

I know this sounds dumb.. but I have seen this way to much.. do you have right rudder set up on neutral on the steering? just making sure

Make sure your prop is sharp and contrary to conventional wisdom, sharpen both the inside and outside edge of the turn fin.

Everything on the boat is dead straight.

Speedmaster strut .

I thought the fin was the problem but told Al to post here to see what others have experienced..

I think sharpening the fin on both sides should be cure it?

Tim

My 21 has no toe in and the fin is sharpened on both sides of the straight part of the fin and it tracks dead straight .

Tim

Marty wrote a piece some time ago about props that are not properly finished pulling to the right believe me he knows his business. Also Chris's comment on the rudder is also right on, I ran my 45 JAE yesterday, it was pulling to the right, I checked the rudder position and it was of by just a 1/32 which is enough to effect the running. I have built several JAE 45 and none have required any tow in. Good luck Tim

Pulls with all props tried and they are sharpened properly .

Boat was set up on layout table , everthing is dead straight .

I think it has to be turnfin .

Jae boats are extremely sensitive on the water it takes very little to make them turn so any resistance on the water will cause the boat to pull.

Check the AOA on the sponsons. The right sponson ends up having less angle alot of times when these kits are built.for some reason.

I had the same issue with my Jae 45(Mike Hughes turn fin).Solved it with 1/8"toe in to the right sponson,stronger rudder servo(15kgs torque) and strut off set...since that boat ran on rails with no tendencies. ..needless to say my props are corrected worked.(1460 cup 4,3 - 1655 cup 4,1 and 1657 stock) Gill

I had the same issue with my Jae 45(Mike Hughes turn fin).Solved it with 1/8"toe in to the right sponson,stronger rudder servo(15kgs torque) and strut off set...since that boat ran on rails with no tendencies. ..needless to say my props are corrected worked.(1460 cup 4,3 - 1655 cup 4,1 and 1657 stock) Gill
Did you offset your strut to the right? And by how much? Thanks.

Yes I just shimmed the right side with stainless steel washers and did some tests.After had the boat running good did a base with epoxy 30min and carbon filler between strut and transom and removed the washers....dont forget to wax the strut and screws if you inttend to do this.base. 3 degrees has worked in many boats Gill

Latest posts

Back