Name This Hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Propjockey

That's right, Ladies and Gentlemen...it's time to play everyone's favorite gameshow......[SIZE=12pt]NAME THIS HULL![/SIZE]

Today's subject hull was picked up for a song at a local garage sale. The center section is plywood and the sponsons are, get this, SOLID FOAM! That's right...looks like expanding foam that was put in a mold. The outer skin is hard, but it's definitely foam inside.

27 1/2" long by 12 1/2" wide

Any guesses?

I know, I know, ..... its a BUCSAWMFSOOT ;D

Built Up Center Section And Weird Molded Foam Sponson One Off Tunnel? 8)

Looks pretty cool, is the foam pretty strong? Good find

~ james

The outer skin is surprizingly strong...at first I thought it was painted plywood. But a little drillin' (right rear sponson in last pic) showed it ain't so. Can't see any sponson reinforcements, but it has ZERO give when it is squeezed.

Also, look at the shadow in the first picture...the inside half of the sponsons have a distinct airfoil shape.

hhmmmm...........uummmmm...........errrrrrrrrrrr........lemme think...........hold on!........yes!!........i got it! i got it!!..............................................................

ITS A TUNNELHULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol :)

Joe

Hmmmmmmm, WAY LOW deadrise, Got ta be lite, Well I'm a gonna call it Fastassumbeachie!!!!!! :p

Stick a Dumas cowl and a outboard on that pup and run it Dude!!!

Gene ;D

Glad to hear SOMEONE found a good deal... congrats... However, based on early experimentation with expandible (canned) foam, its NOT a good idea to take it outside and leave it in the sun for too long, the canned foam seen at your local Home Depot has secondary expansion properties, I learned the hard way when i filled the sponsons of my first tunnel hull, a dumas hotshot 45. it got too warm in the sun one day at the lake, and pried the deck off, leaving me with a useless boat, until i tore the old deck off and i dremeled all of it out... it never ran the same again... (sob)

Good luck, Shnick ;D

Well, I think the general consensus is...it's an Ed Hughey hull from the 80's!

Thanks all...now, what to do with it? Hmmmmmm.........

That was my guess before I saw the pix. Ed made a 3.5 'rigger out of the same foam. I had one way back in the late '70's. It was one of the baddest 'riggers around in it's time and the wood cutting was a piece of art, comparable to today's Laser cutting.

I don't know what kind of foam he used, it had a skin on it from the mold. I know where there still is one yet.

I can name that hull in two words ,fire wood ;D or is that one word :D BUT better than no boat at all.

Ed also made a round nose hydro out of that compressed foam before the rigger type hydro became popular. The 20 size had two seperate sponsons that needed to be joined with the center section, and the 40 size came like a horseshoe shape, with the round deck connecting the two sponsons. Then the fuel tank on back to the transom needed to be filled in. I have seen a 40 size turned into a scale/sport 20 here in District 4. I owned the boat for a very short time and have pictures of it somewhere. Bill Wistert actually made the boat up.

Back