NAMBA rules, a penalty discussion.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobie

Just a discussion folks, so no slams please.

We had a racer fry an ESC on a penalty lap in a sprint class.

Is a one lap penalty for everything really necessary and fair in FE races? Seems it's a nitro carry over that doesn't make a lot of sense in many of our classes.

For Offshore, it might be more reasonable.

Jump starts. I like an idea borrowed from Batavia. Throw a bouy out 50, 75 or 100 ft from the course somewhere and have the offending boat take a turn around it sometime during the heat.

Heck, many of us now have the Offshore offset. In sprint classes, use it. It adds the equivalent of a straightaway as a penalty. If a jump start yields a 10 ft advantage, you're still assessing a penalty worth 10-15 times the infraction.

Cuts. 50 point deduction for every cut. Three cuts is a DNF, not a DQ. Heck make it a hundred points. A lap penalty for one cut is often almost equivalent to a DNF.

Collisions caused by clear infractions. Maybe in that case a lap is not too severe.

...for what it's worth.

don't jump the start or make a cut and you won't have to worry about it.

I personally think its fine the way it is

I don't like the Batavia rule myself, but I except it and race there.

Ed Hughey could jump and still win in past years, that's not fair.

I actually prefer the hatchet and axe rule long since removed from the books.

Jumped start...cut off drivers throttle finger.

Cut bouy.....start with pinkie finger then move up.

AlanN said:

107852[/snapback]

For you, we'll confiscate your driver's license and withhold coffee.

Yeah i think you should leave it.most guys set there boats up for 6 laps just in case anyways.So lets see at Batavia if I jump the start and I am way ahead of everybody and i have to just go to the penalty marker and i am far enough ahead then were was the penalty ??

AlanN said:

107852[/snapback]

107853[/snapback]

drobie said:
AlanN said:

107852[/snapback]

107853[/snapback]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

When is it a jumped start? When the boat is on the backstretch. Is it a early or late? It is both. This is just going to add to the confusion that the CD will have to deal at the start. With the rule as it is now, there is no confusion. When the clock goes off, if your over then you jsut have not started yet. The other way, I could see a boater say he was on the back shoot. Says he was over and come around pick up the penalty buoy and still be in the lead. Not good. You started this thread by saying a guy fried his ESC on a penalty lap. I would think he should of had a bigger size ESC that would handle the extra current that he was drawing.

Mike

exactly Mike.. Leave it alone its not broke just people can't time a start or drive on the outside of the bouy's..

Mike Hughes said:
You started this thread by saying a guy fried his ESC on a penalty lap. I would think he should of had a bigger size ESC that would handle the extra current that he was drawing. Mike
Or a smaller prop.

The problem is in the boat, not the rules.

KW

When I was young.....

You could make up a bouy in Unlimted Hydroplane racing, the time lost was enough. However, jumping the gun was a 1 lap penalty. This is the rule that I like myself.

Doug, Jeff tells me that you got by with this without someone knowing. Miss a bouy in Bataiva and you get the penalty bouy.

I think the problem here was the ESC, not the rules. That ESC would have fried on the next run anyway so what's the diff??? :blink:

Don Ferrette said:
I think the problem here was the ESC, not the rules. That ESC would have fried on the next run anyway so what's the diff???  :blink:
107894[/snapback]

OK, OK, forget the ESC issue.

Forget about the jump start.

Cutting bouys.

IMPBA, 50 points.

NAVIGA, 5 sec first bouy, 10 on the 2nd, 15 on the third, 4th bouy is a lap. Those are cumulative penalties for anyone who wants to advance the "do it on purpose" argument.

Another issue. Take the carnage at the Nats. 5 boats start. 2nd place cuts a bouy. 3 boats flip. 2nd place still takes second place. Cut bouy effectively results in no penalty. That happens quite a bit.

Yeah, yeah, yeah....that's racing.

To Summarize what Batavia does on buoy cuts.

Sprint Racing......

5 lap you get -50 per occurance to score (IMPBA)

Endurance Racing......

**SS** Penalty Buoy per cut.

P Hydro (4 Min.)(M)(E) Penalty Buoy per cut.

Big M-Course Go Back around Buoy or 5 second penalty.

(N M-Course (S)(E) or N Crackerbox Ironman (Big M-Course))

Zig Zag Go Back around Buoy only.

Jump Starts we changed to using the Penalty Buoy on the 1st lap instead of anytime during the race.

Penalty Buoy gives a reprieve for lack of judgement and does not kill a racer in his class compared to a 1 lap penalty.

Jeff

If your so worried about cutting a buoy, run in lane 3, 4 or 5. Dick C runs tight to the buoys, I'm in amazement watching him run the course, but I cant take the same line. I don't have the depth perception to run the far buoys tight. If I did, half the time I would be on the wrong side of them.

Keep the rule as it is. If you would like to change a rule, add stepped hulls to the mono classes. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
"Keep the rule as it is. If you would like to change a rule, add stepped hulls to the mono classes."

Steven, you may seen this sooner than you think...(wink)

stay tuned

Steve,

Back