N-1 MONO

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlanN

Does anyone know what the legal motor specs are for the class this year? Or at least for MI6?

Hey Nayman!

Wassup? Good question. I was assuming NAMBA rules for N-1, but now is the time to know if there are any adjustments.

Do you have your N-2 stability issues under control? There's going to be a lot of boats per heat at MC-6!

Allan asks because there is a rule propsal that should be in the hands of NAMBA members any minute now. If the change is approved we will likely go with it.

Well I hope someone makes up our minds.

Hey another board that I ask questions on that don't get anwered! :D

Guess I'll just put in a 5300.

And uh Dave no....I am still as unstable as last year...prob more so. ;)

Jay,

How are ya and K lady doin!?

Yes the novak is the only legal system according to ROAR to my knowledge...but no experienced boater wants to run a NOVAK system.

Hoping that the biggest change in this class is a 19T brushed.

But like the Military....hurry up and wait!

Alan

If you check the ROAR web site,

There is NO Brushless motor that is legal in ROAR.

It was proposed, and turned down.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan,

We are doing great. Just trying to get through this long winter. Kathy is helping out again at the Michigan Cup.

Jay,

I hear ya about the winter...very screwy. Gettin tired of those AZ boys telling us how warm it is there. Atleast when we get warm they'll be boiling! :p

Glad to hear you are doing well and Kathy is joy (not Joye) to have around!!!

She's great at chasing out over curious minors!! ;)

hear ya about the winter...very screwy. Gettin tired of those AZ boys telling us how warm it is there. Atleast when we get warm they'll be boiling!
It was not that warm here today, I had a sweatshirt on while racing. B)

Oh sorry Alan is your pond still ice? Don't get me wrong I love the ice... in a glass with my vodka.

Pete,

I feel the love.. 1-2 hrs south there is soft water!

It won't be long now....everthings been melting today.

Now about that vodka...I'll keep it chilled here until June. ;)

Quick update.At out 2nd planning meeting last night we decided tu run N1 however it is at the time of the race.

I understand the rule changes should be in effect as of April 15th.If that is the case we will allow 19 turn cameleons as stockers but no brushless.

Look forward to seeing you and the boys Allen.We all always have fun.And lots of it.

no sir

Should be any minute I would think. I was surprised how much work it takes to put that thing out. Plus, the work ERS have lives outside of RC. Go figure. whoda thunk

I'm new to this conversation, and, well... honestly, this whole hobby, but have been working dilligently for the past three months to put a small fleet together for this coming racing season...

I'm curious as to why NAMBA or ??? would choose to change the rules for N1 (an "entry level" spec class) to a different motor, especially if it's brushless, when N2 is available for anyone wishing to run a different motor combo??

What is the driver behind this suggested change??

I think it's GREAT to have a "spec" motor class. I'd personally rather NOT see ANY changes made to this class... As it is, it emphasises attention to detail, weight, hydrodynamics, etc... Much more of a challenge than just throwing in more power...

Just my $0.02...

Darin

Darin,

For a breif period there was a push for ROAR to allow brushles stock motors. I think that failed. I think that was the original inspiration for the proposed change. Then when the guys that were thinking of proposing a change start gathering opinions they found that not too many loved the 27 turn motors. Some do but not a majority. A number of venues were already running their stock classes on 19turn fixed bell motors.

The proposal that is due out any day now is only changing from a 27turn fixed endbell spec motor to a 19 turn fixed end bell spec motor. The new spec motor is the same price. You can run it with the same cells, esc, boat. We'll just faster classes.

I personally think it's a good idea for two reasons.

The first being that the N1 classes are SO slow that it may actually turn off a new racer. Challenging yes but not very exciting.

The second is that it shortens the gap between N1 and the next step for a new racer to N2. When a new racer runs N1 and gets used to running that speed he'll be thinking N2. If the N1 classes stay 27turn, the jump to a brushless N2 boat could be a 10 plus mph increase. That may be a conservative estimate too. 10 mph is a giant leap. Especially in a 22" or so long boat.

If it's a bad idea, the NAMBA memebership has an opportunity to vote no. I would encourage any and all NAMBA members to vote and have their opinion count.

Well... It will be interesting to see what the rest of the membership decides...

Personally, I'm not really thrilled with the idea of having to replace the 7 or 8 N1 motors I currently have, and there are people in our area that have a lot invested in developing the 27T to it's max potential... Not sure if everyone puts this much effort into these, but I know those who do...

Also, there doesn't appear to be as many motors to choose from when looking for a 19T Spec motor... Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places?

When do you think a decision will be made and when would it take effect...? This has kind of put my plans for my El Lobo2 hull on hold...

My prediction (for what it's worth) is that the N1 change to 19 t. proposal will get voted down. That was certainly the tone of discussion at our club.

A distinct possibility. I don't have a feel for the outcome. That's why we decided for MC6 we would go with whatever the vote said as it would obviously represent the masses either way.

I'd like to see it pass but I'm biased toward anything that makes the boats run a little faster. Can't wait for the vote to allow plutonium cells. (I'm kidding of course)

We should know by late April I would think.

Back