Multiple boat storage units --- what do you use?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John MacLean

I am looking to build an inexpensive stand that will store several boats in a corner of the basement. Looking forward to building an MLboatworks kit this winter which will mean trying to keep seven boats from becoming trip hazards in my very limited basement workshop. Considered a modular pvc stand that can be dismatnled and re-configured depending on which boats I take to the pond on any given day. I saw something like that on the RCCanada site.
boat stand.jpg

Also considering a wooden stand if I can build one that would be both functional and versatile.

I am looking to build an inexpensive stand that will store several boats in a corner of the basement. Looking forward to building an MLboatworks kit this winter which will mean trying to keep seven boats from becoming trip hazards in my very limited basement workshop. Considered a modular pvc stand that can be dismatnled and re-configured depending on which boats I take to the pond on any given day. I saw something like that on the RCCanada site.
View attachment 40804

Also considering a wooden stand if I can build one that would be both functional and versatile.
That's mine :)

The PVC stands stack on each other using end caps and slip fittings so they all separate into stands for each boat. There is a 4th level not shown that squeezes in another boat.

But in your basement, those big Rubbermaid metal shelf brackets covered in pipe insulation work great along a wall. The brackets are pretty pricey up here though about $8 each at Lowes. I think it's the same idea some people use in their trailers.

IMG_0020.jpg

LOL. Thanks, Brian. The shelf brackets look like they work very nicely. Funny thing is. . . I don't remember how many of those I sent to Habitat for Humanity a few years ago when I was cleaning out my garage. That was before I started into this hobby. I might just slip down to their Re store this week and try to see if I can find enough of them to do something like that.

I got two roll around carts from mikesells potato chips company and I have all my boat on it.Works great.Check with a supplier in your area.

Dave Roach

yes those shelf brackets are great. all different sizes for different boats.

Get the longest verticals you can get and if you space them correctly you will be able to mount any size boat on them from a 21 to big gas boats. Mount to the wall with long bolts and into studs if into a finished wall.

Also if you have rc cars you can use the rack system to stack them as well.

Also check in the wire shelving sections in the store as they too use the same style of brackets.

Check out the cost on the different colours if you are on a budget.

DSC02392.JPG

Thanks to everyone for their input. A little inspiration, a little imagination and a bunch of perspiration and I have a functional and versaitle storage unit with room for six boats now and the capacity for future expansion. I had a couple of portable pvc stands that I simply adapted and incorporated into the overall project. Like Brian's this can be taken apart module by module and transported to the pond.

Now . . . its back to waiting for my MLboatworks Gp335 kit to arrive! The top shelf will be reserved for that build. . .

IMG_5870.jpg

Here is what I use got them from "Woodworks" online and just added the 1" dowel rods and swim noodles to support the bottom of the boats by their length. I can get 5 boats per rack. there is a track at the top that is mounted to the wall studs and then the vertical pieces just hook on the track and you determine what width you want your rack to be made mine 24" and it works out great.

DSC00162.JPG

Latest posts

Back