Mono Strut

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJ450S

Hey guys,

Haven't been here for a while, kind of got out of it for a little while. I still don't know much about this stuff.

.21 Mono, making my own running gear (accomplished machinist) and would like to know the common bore size for the strut. I will be running a 1/4" flex cable with a 3/16" prop shaft (the one piece ones). How long is the common strut bore (where the shaft goes through)? Also, where does one locate the bushings for the strut?

Thanks

JJ

Most, if not all, use a 3/16" shaft. Use 3/16" ID brass tube for the bushing and 7/32" ID for the stuffing tube. Strut bore would be 1/4" and 2" long should be fine.

For 1/4" shaft, 1/4" bushing, 9/32" stuffing tube, and 5/16" strut bore.

OK,

So the bore of the strut should be 1/4" and the strut bushing bore is 3/16" (obviously for a 3/16" shaft). 2" in length?? That seems pretty long, I haven't measured any but I was thinking around 1" or so. Or, is that 2" dimension from the transom to the aft end of the strut??

I was curious about the 1/4" cable, it seamed to be overkill for the OS .21, probably could save a few dollars by going with the 3/16 cable and stub shaft eh.

Are there "off-the-shelf strut busings I can buy for ease of replacement?

Thanks

JJ

Yes, go with the 3/16ths cable and stub shaft. You can use either lead teflon shaft bushings, or the brass on brass shaft bushing. The lead teflons will press into the strut bore, and the brass bushing set-up will fit inside of the brass shaft tube. The new style brass bushings have a flange on one end that rides against the end of the strut. That way, you dont need to solder a stop on the cable, to prevent the bushing from walking up the cable. The brass on brass set-up lasts longer than the teflons also. These items are available from rossisales. Richard D

Back