model flyers need your help

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

don't know if many are aware of this or of it has been posted but for us that like to fly things are going to change in a drastic way with this new id system the faa is pushing for. This is a model airplane issue but as we all know the rc industry is so interwoven and it will def affect the companies that make radios and and even rtr boats that get ppl into the boat hobby. if you have time to watch the video as Josh explains it very well and hopefully some of you can make a comment on the on the faa page that's linked in the video.

That's a small part of it but I still think it has more to do with the drone delivery market and the money that goes along with that.

That's a small part of it but I still think it has more to do with the drone delivery market and the money that goes along with that.
I think they see a potential to have too many unregulated and unmonitored commercial drone delivery systems as this started when Amazon began talking seriously about a nationwide drone delivery system. With that being said here is a part of the proposed rule, note the highlighted/underlined parts-

All UAS operating in the airspace of the United States, with very few exceptions, would be subject to the requirements of this rule. All UAS operators would be required to comply regardless of whether they conduct recreational or commercial operations, except those flying UAS that are not otherwise required to be registered under the FAA's existing rules. All UAS produced for operation in the airspace of the United States would have to comply with the design and production requirements established in this proposal with exceptions for amateur-built UAS, UAS of the United States government, and unmanned aircraft that weigh less than 0.55 pounds.

Unless I'm mistaken there are currently no FAA registration requirements on recreational R/C model aircraft. I do find it "interesting" how they exempt government UAS from the rule, can't deny big brother watching undetected.....

The stuff I read say all UAS. Guess I'll have to do more reading. I just don't see anyone to enforce it tho.

I agree with Mark Poole times two as far as registering your model aircraft I thought the FAA even wanted control line planes registered along with RC planes as a forty plus year enthusiast of CL and RC flying I am fortunate enough to fly in a remote private place but for others that do not have that luxury its just another hoop to jump through to do your thing. Not blaming any drone owners by any means its not the drones just the few people who don't use common sense when using them.

Currently you register once for all of your flying things and label them with your FA number. The government wants to change this to registering your stuff individually. Then they want to add remote id to everything which is total BS becuase that's not a requirement for all full size aircraft. And, how in the hell is that going to work without 100% Internet coverage across the country?

People always want to blame the Quadcopter and Drone Pilots. I fly and I fly legally. There is always going to be people that don't abide by any rules or regulations not matter what sport or hobby that your in. These proposals(that's all it is right now) from the FAA is big dollar lobbiest and companies like Amazon pushing for the industry of delivery drones. They feel this is the only way to do this and they are totally wrong and they way their going about it.

I hate when people don't stick with solving the problem but want to lay blame. It's not us the hobbyist, it is them and BS proposals! Dji already has a system but the FAA wants to spend tons of our tax paying money to do what they don't know how to do properly.

DJI wants to be a player in the commercial drone space and is supporting these new ideas. They also just released a Mavic mini that is 249 grams. That's .54981 lbs. Just under the .55 lbs rule. Playing both sides. Crap for AMA and the AMA has been around way before the FAA was even conceived of.

DJI is not playing both sides of the fence! They are implementing what works best. The Mavic mini was developed to be under the 250grams for hobbyists to get into drone photography on a budget entry and not be registered or require a Part107 to use it. Dji has had remote ID for a while now and they know that as the hobby has grown and more incidents that have happened this was the best way to keep the hobby safe and not be blowing the regulations out of proportion. DJI implementation of the Remote ID would not destroy the hobby like the FAA wants to do.

when the AMA did not separate themselves from the "Muti Rotor" industry (truly what the AMA is not about).. lets face it they got greedy and wanted there membership money too.. They dug a VERY deep hole.

Now.. we.. the MODEL enthusiast are bundled in with the "drone" buzz..

Whats the answer.. NO CLUE.. there might not be one.. maybe DRONE SHOTGUN HUNTING CLUBS will start popping up.. count me in.. sounds like fun.

Grim

People do whatever they want and that’s the problem regardless of what type of flying aircraft same can go with model boats. People using electric and gas boats around swimmers giving all of us a bad name.
I have seen videos of commercial aircraft getting hit by drones. That’s kinda dangerous

I'm sure there is people out there would wonder what a round would do to a boat. You guys got me laughing my ass off and how childish. STICK TO BOATS! That's what this forum is supposed to be.

Oh by the way until you have the rush of a racing drone flying faster then a boat you may want to be in the hobby! LOL

Last edited:
I'm sure there is people out there would wonder what a round would do to a boat. You guys got me laughing my ass off and how childish. STICK TO BOATS! That's what this forum is supposed to be.

Oh by the way until you have the rush of a racing drone flying faster then a boat you may want to be in the hobby! LOL

No offense but I will Post whatever I like. If you don’t like it it’s simple move along your not my mom and dad.

Btw drone racing is freaking insane. I have seen some of the tournaments

Back