Model Boater Goes 98.8 MPH in full size electric Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used a brushed motor as per Both UIM and APBA rules. We had 133 volts nominal with about a 900amp potential and we are not using all of it, the motor is the limiting piece, its rated at 10 hp and we calculate we are getting about 75 hp out of it for two 40 second runs. There are a lot of tricks on the boat so forgive me is I don't share. There are a number of teams working on 100mph electric boats and I want to be the first. We have full data logging on the boat courtesy of Eagletree Systems. After a run we download speed, volts, amps,RPM and throttle position.

The boat ride was very good after some angle adjustments,I have had about 25 passes in the boat and every time we test we go faster so the boat always has a new dance to it, the latest one was a sponson walk at about 98mph :unsure: that made me pedal the throttle a few times thru the traps to settle it down.

Hi Don, I missed the fun we have at the Legg Lake event and me and Lohring will be back in full force as soon as we get this project done.

Mike

We used a brushed motor as per Both UIM and APBA rules. We had 133 volts nominal with about a 900amp potential and we are not using all of it, the motor is the limiting piece, its rated at 10 hp and we calculate we are getting about 75 hp out of it for two 40 second runs. There are a lot of tricks on the boat so forgive me is I don't share. There are a number of teams working on 100mph electric boats and I want to be the first. We have full data logging on the boat courtesy of Eagletree Systems. After a run we download speed, volts, amps,RPM and throttle position.The boat ride was very good after some angle adjustments,I have had about 25 passes in the boat and every time we test we go faster so the boat always has a new dance to it, the latest one was a sponson walk at about 98mph :unsure: that made me pedal the throttle a few times thru the traps to settle it down.

Hi Don, I missed the fun we have at the Legg Lake event and me and Lohring will be back in full force as soon as we get this project done.

Mike
Mike thanks for sharing as much as you did- PLEASE keep us posted on the progress, this is a very interesting project to say the least.

Sponson walk @ 98 mph in a 12ft kneeler- you guys are crazy :blink:

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike
Hey Mike,

I remember when you told me about the "full size" prodject when you & loring were here at legg lake. Just seems like a month or two ago, sure hope you can make it for the Oct. 31st- Nov. 1st-2st SAW here at legg??? There may be one or two other boats close to 130mph, (Everone knows Mark Grim already hit that mark) Also there may a run at your GX-1 rigger record, not by me, my efforts have been less than stellar for sure :( lol. Anyway hope you & Loring can make it....

Don :)

Everything about the boat and the run is amazing.

For some reason I'm fascinated by the motor that you used. Most electric fork lifts are only powered by 24-48 volt motors and are not what I'd call high RPM. I think that somebody did a little tweaking there too! ;)

Awsome mike!!!

must be an absolute thrill to ride the boat instead of beeing on shore with the remote.

go get that 100.

As you can see in Eric's pictures, our boat has a quick change gear box that gears up the prop. The brushed motors are limited in rpm.

Don, your gear drive plus the electric SAW model's high rpm props started us down that path. The boat borrows a lot from model technology. We considered much more radical hull designs for lead acid batteries, but the weight was so much less with lipos, we decided we could use a proven hull design. We never thought we would be pushing 100 mph with an outboard hydro.

Mike still wants to see if we can get over 100, so we will miss the SAWs this year. We have some engines for the G1 and G2 records, but it will take a little more time to get everything together.

Lohring Miller

We have decided to go to the next Kilo event in December at Salton sea in California to see if we can do the 100 mph two way average. One of our main obstacles is it takes about 3 hours to charge the batteries, we have 11 Hyperion EOS0610i DUO chargers, each charger can charge 2 batteries so we can only charge half the battery compliment at one time.

This severely limited the amount of runs we could make. I am going to put out a request, if anyone has one of these chargers and would not mind if we use it for the December Kilo, as a big thank you we will send you a 8x10 framed, team signed picture of record breaking boat.

Thank you

Mike

Most impressive guys...

couple of things, do you preheat the lipo packs?

And most importantly, does the boat have cup holders?

:D

We have decided to go to the next Kilo event in December at Salton sea in California to see if we can do the 100 mph two way average. One of our main obstacles is it takes about 3 hours to charge the batteries, we have 11 Hyperion EOS0610i DUO chargers, each charger can charge 2 batteries so we can only charge half the battery compliment at one time.This severely limited the amount of runs we could make. I am going to put out a request, if anyone has one of these chargers and would not mind if we use it for the December Kilo, as a big thank you we will send you a 8x10 framed, team signed picture of record breaking boat.

Thank you

Mike
What are the chances of the charger Manufacturer stepping up for some loaners? If i had any id send them. What do they cost? Mike

The chargers are about $240. Mike you only need 10.
HHHHmmm 100 Iw members giving $25.00 It could be doable id give my share just put IW on the boat. For a fellow boater to do something like this WOW then sell the chargers and give the money to a worth while charity Give it some thought

We have decided to go to the next Kilo event in December at Salton sea in California to see if we can do the 100 mph two way average. One of our main obstacles is it takes about 3 hours to charge the batteries, we have 11 Hyperion EOS0610i DUO chargers, each charger can charge 2 batteries so we can only charge half the battery compliment at one time.This severely limited the amount of runs we could make. I am going to put out a request, if anyone has one of these chargers and would not mind if we use it for the December Kilo, as a big thank you we will send you a 8x10 framed, team signed picture of record breaking boat.

Thank you

Mike
Mike,

Congratulations to you and the team! Fantastic!!!!

I told Eric on another board that Casey and I have three 1210 Is that we would loan to the cause. I see now that your looking for DUOs. Sorry we can't help you there, but the offer still stands on the 1210s if you need them.

Good luck, and be safe!!

Doug

The chargers are about $240. Mike you only need 10.

Mike, Lohring, ect...

I just talked with Mark in Texas: Phone Number: 713-875-0986 http://rcdumbthumbs.com/hyperioneos0610idu...ndbalancer.aspx

He will sell us (10) chargers for $215 (10% off his low price of $239 ea.) with a deposit via Credit Card or Paypal.... That's $2150 total He can have them by Monday if we order today... probably a little shipping?

Let's get this done. I'm in for $215, if I can get one of the chargers when you're done with them... or even if I can't.... :p

David

I am open to all ideas but people sending me there hard earned money makes me feel a little uncomfortable especially in this economy, if someone makes a IW decal I will definitely put it on the boat though. Sponsorship might be available from Hyperion but it takes time, it takes forever to get to the people who are able to make the decision and it take time to get sponsorship agreements drawn up. We are in further talks with Enerland and its taking time, I think we could of got the 100mph mark at Devils if we had had some more of there amazingly powerful batteries.

Mike

Well so far we have 3 chargers from Doug at Smock racing and one from Mark Anderson, thanks guys I really appreciate it.

Mike

Contact Pat at RC lipos I bet he will beat that price no problem. Tell him what you are doing

Jim

Thanks Jim

He is one of our sponsors and has helped us out a lot with product. He is excellent to deal with and has some of the best pricing around. I just e-mailed him a press release

Mike

Well so far we have 3 chargers from Doug at Smock racing and one from Mark Anderson, thanks guys I really appreciate it. Mike
Mike,

John Snider, Norman Morton, and Paul Rollins, all fellow Atlanta Model Boaters have stepped up to the plate.

That gives you two more DUOs and another 1210I. ;)

I'm waiting for one more call to be returned.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I really appreciate everything your doing. Do you have any Smock racing decals if not I can get my graphics guy to put something together

Let me know how many signed photo's. I have some excellent high speed pictures that Eric Bourlet took.

Mike

bump. I want to thanks everyone that has offered to lend me chargers. I now have 7, just 3 to go.

Cheers

Mike

Latest posts

Back