Miss Vegas Duece Set Up

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Stuchell

I am new to RC boat racing and competed toward the end of this season in a RTR class in Dayton, Ohio. Most of the boats in the class are Miss Vegas Duece's After running my boat a couple of times I got some good props and the boat came to life. The last time I ran it the front of the boat was riding to high and made it very unstable and erratic. I tried to lower the strut and that didn't apperar to help much. I am considering adding some weight but would rather move some existing weight to change the balance point. Does anyone know where the balance point should be on a Miss Vegas Duece ? I appreciate any help

Mike

You may want to check with the club you race with to make sure that is within the rules. I do know you can usually change out fuel tanks which is what I did. Installed a 8 ounce plane tank. Fill tank up and you have an extra 3-4 ounces of fuel you will never burn off in a heat. Just a suggestion.

The group I am running with allows me to add weight and move some of the components around, what I was thinging is moving the reciever and batteries around in the box to gain the maximum front weight. I hope next year to run this boat in a couple of IMPBA events is that kind of modificcations legal in IMPBA. Also Jeremy it sounds like you have some experiance in this do you have a guideline where to put the balance from the transom?

Thanks

Mike

We are allowed to add weight but we can not move anything around that was factory installed. I race in D14 where we have adopted a set of a rules very close to IMPBA but a little different. From what I have seen you want the additional weight as far forward as you can get it. I ran lead weight attached to inside edge of the very front of the sponsons the first year with good results and still do in rough water or windy days. You can also tuck rudder bottom edge forward to help keep bow in the water.

i never had to add weight to mine only things i added was turn fin and timothy jones shaft with 3/16 stub so i can run bigger prop

Last edited by a moderator:
I had traded emails about setup with Mike earlier this summer when I got mine. Mine now runs high 30's on 30% and handles exceptionally well. Here's what I did:

1) Change out the turn fin to the upgraded one and make sure that fin mounts properly. Mine was canted inboard a bit so I had to enlarge one of the mouting holes to allow me to set the fin straight up and down.

2) Get rid of the stock fuel tank and replace with a Sulivan 8oz slant tank. Mount in the same area but use wood blocks expoxied to the hull with tea cup hooks to hold elastic bands. The bands should cross over the fuel tank front to back and side to side.

3) Check the stuffing tube/flex shaft/motor alignment and correct if necessary. Mine was so far off that I snapped a shaft after the first run. Bending the stuffing tube fixed mine.

4) Remove the starter gears from the back of the engine and replace with a regular cover and then belt start the boat.

5) The rudder is too long. Cut 3/4" off the bottom.

6) Mount a sharpened and balanced AQUB9700 36x55 prop and set the tilt and depth exactly like the manual shows, (I think is was 27mm from the underside of the hull and 1 1/2 degrees).

I haven't made any changes to CG or added any weight. Runs great as is.

Good luck.

Back