Miss US hydroplane Ron jones hull

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

I came across a miss US hydroplane plans from Air Age. Has anyone ever build one from those plans? I was curious about it.

fsp05792.jpg

That add ran for years back in the day. I can't say I ever saw a boat run that was built from them.

If you want to build a wood boat from scratch get a ML kit. Less risk of having a unproven design. Plus his laser cut parts fit together real nice.

post-6394-0-16025900-1462382807_thumb.jpgW450-13975_1976-02-01GoldCup.jpg

bb and mike,

i saw a 109-7402 at a GM Tech Center race in late '90s with fully detailed bird cage wing, turbo allison and paint same as shown on those plans

don't remember how it ran or the owner-builder's name but i think he used those plans.

don't know how the framing on the Air Age plans compares with the Newton 109 plans in

terms of finished hull and sponson shapes, dimensions and performance.

the Air Age plans are an excellent scale detail reference.

the magazine build article provides interesting information.

i agree with the above, use an ML kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have built one from the plans and if things go right it may make it on the water this year. I had paint on it but I decided to redo it because I wasn't happy with it, have it partially sanded but have to get busy and actually finish sanding and then start to reshoot it When I had gotten the photo's from David I was off on the stripping and the nose of the boat is wrong on the plans so I redid it.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Back