Miss K+ Redman build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68Bud

Hey Everyone,

I am building a Miss K+ kit from Doug Campbell at Classichydros.com. It is a 1/12 scale Karelson hull drawn by Garry Finlay. The kit is a mixture of light ply, marine ply, ABS and resin cast parts. It comes complete with 3 different tail configurations and provides all the scale pieces to finish as a nicely detailed model. Mine will be a Redman with brushless power. If anyone is interested in building one, they are available at Offshore Electrics and South River RC boats.

hk_redman1.jpgDSCF1906.JPGDSCF1910.JPGDSCF1913.JPG

Garry does excellent fe kits. My next 1/8th will be one of his design. They have great running surfaces too.

Glen if you need some plans pm me I have several Finlay plans 10ths 1/8th 1/12th 1/13th and 1/16th if im not mistaken they are redrawn newton plans with fe in mind. A 5 pound 1/8th scale hull is possible with the right materials and Garry plans.

Last edited:
BUD that hull wont be heavy at all so p-limited power would work well in that boat. Will be a beautiful model. I cant wait to see the build.

Last edited:
Hugh, Garry drew the original plans but I believe Doug has incorporated some changes in the boat to simplify construction. This kit goes together easily and the laser cut parts are very precise.

Glenn, the Miss K+ is 30" long. I think it would be a really fun nitro boat too, but you might have to add a belly pan to get the engine and pipe under the deck. The Karelson design doesn't have a lot of depth or freeboard. Mine will be a sister boat to my other Finlay hull, a nitro Sport 20 Redman Too. SS850999.JPG

Mike, your Redman is amazing. I have always thought ALL your scale boats are impressive.

The instructions in Doug's kit are really well done. The first thing to do is construct a building jig. Once you have it ready this boat goes together really quick. I am using thick CA for the framing and then bonding everything tight with West Systems. Here are a few shots of the basic framework being checked over by the QC inspector.

DSCF1918.JPGDSCF1922.JPGDSCF1923.JPG

Bud, I need to grab a merlin motor and a driver from them for the u-1 pak :) . I never saw they did 1/12th's thought it was only 1/16th thanks for the info.

Thanks guys I spent a lot of time doing research to get it right. She has dust all over her outta get her out for a ride this spring

Gary revised his plans to take advantage of the Spec brushless and lipo setups now run. Here is my build thread of the prototype hull i hope to have running fairly soon.

Jim

Progress indeed!

I mixed up some West Systems and glued the non trips and the sponson bottoms on.

DSCF1941.JPGDSCF1942.JPG

Next up is sponson sides.

Hey Mike. Yes, they are made from 4" pvc pipe. Some of the best clamps I own, and cheap too!

Back