MHR8200 Sponson Skinning Sequence

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobGutsell

Hi Guys

I'm Skinning the sponsons for my new 88/89 Oberto and my planned sequence is as follows

1. Outside Sponson skin

2. Inside sponson skin

3. Next skin from outside (Whatever that's called)

4. Ride surface

Am I on the right track?

Secondly, the Ride surface looks on the newton plans like it stands above the other skins with square edges on the sides, does that follow through to the front of the sponson or do the edges get blended into the curve at the front?

Cheers

Bob

I always do the Ride pad first. After sanding the angle of attack, anhedral and dihedral that you desire. Yes you want sharp edges on anything in the water. You can blend them in as they go forward or keep the raised and use the forward section as a recovory pad. You can veiw some pictures of what I am talking about in my Gas Scale U-95 post in this section. John

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys

I'm Skinning the sponsons for my new 88/89 Oberto and my planned sequence is as follows

1. Outside Sponson skin

2. Inside sponson skin

3. Next skin from outside (Whatever that's called)

4. Ride surface

Am I on the right track?

Secondly, the Ride surface looks on the newton plans like it stands above the other skins with square edges on the sides, does that follow through to the front of the sponson or do the edges get blended into the curve at the front?

Cheers

Bob
that is what i do, best way to get the correct ride pad down

dan

If I remember right, the full sized boat had sharp edges for the full ength of the runners. I also know that the rebuilt 82 Atlas has sharp edges on the forward part of the runner and a small step 69" forward of the sponson transom. I'll have to look and see if pictures I took of the Atlas show spray rails on the outside of the sponson as I do remember seeing a lip on the sponson inner edge that appeared to searve that purpose as well.

UPDATE: I didn't find a picture of the Oberto from those two years but I did find a bunch of pictures of the sister hull, the 8408, as the Executone during the 1984 and 1985 seasons. I found a similar set of pictures of the 1982 Atlas that show the sharp edges, though only the 8408 appears to have spray rails as well at the bottom of the sponson side. The problem with the pictures of the Atlas is I'm not sure if they are from 1982, from after the rebuild or a mixture, you will have to check with David Newton to find out

http://newtonmarine....151026710_qdnTa

http://newtonmarine....702573195_er2Rz

"Secondly, the Ride surface looks on the newton plans like it stands above the other skins with square edges on the sides, does that follow through to the front of the sponson or do the edges get blended into the curve at the front?"

i kept them sharp to the front

dan

The full sized boat has sharp edges up to the deck in the front in all the pictures I have found so take that for what it's worth

Thanks for your help guys. The sponsons are now skinned sans the ride surfaces. I'm thinking I'll need to cut them to there exact shape before gluing them on to give me the best chance of keeping the ride siurfaces sharp.

I'll post some piccies of the build prgress as soon as I find my camera cable.

Here's some piccies of the build progress. The cowl isn't the one I'll use for the completed build, this has the cockpit too low. I have a prpoer one on the way from RC boat company. The front profile and canard get finished when the cowl gets here.

I'm going to make templates for the ride surfaces so I can cut them exactly to size and finish the edges before gluing them on.

DSCN4981.jpg

DSCN4985.jpg

DSCN4986.jpg

DSCN4983.jpg

Back