MGM Escs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Pun

Anyone have experience of using the following two MGM ESCs :

TMM 80063-3

TMM 40063-3

Is Cap banks needed for them ?

Gilbert

Yes plenty of experience with both of them. You should not need additional caps with either of them. The exception may be some extreme SAW applications. Short wires and good connectors are a must.

TG

"Cap banks" are multiple capacitor wired together in parallel, they are used to overcome ripples in battery voltage during hard acceleration.

Short for capacitor banks that are usually soldered on to the battery side wires leading to the ESC. They condition the power going into the ESC by reducing ripple current. Ripple current can be caused by excessive draw on the packs in high amp applications as well as long wire runs and using connectors that are insufficient for the amps being drawn. Excessive ripple current can stress the ESC causing premature failure.

images.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I understood right, the power lead on the battery side should be less than 3 inches long ?

The 3 inches is for the motor side. I have a p hydro that Chilli set up where the esc is in the front of the boat and the motor is in the rear. Long wires between the esc and motor, but it works fine. Has for years. If it were my SAW boat it would be 3 inches or less. Depends where you locate everything in the hull. Takes some planning. My 10s SAW mono is direct wired with no connectors between the ESC and motor and less than 3 inches. Depends on your application. In any case....Shorter is always better on all leads. Good solder connections at the connectors are most important. A cold solder joint will heat up and cause more issues that a long wire. I believe having short wires ESC to Motor has more to do with phase balance since it is an A/C current from the ESC to the motor. Not DC like from the batteries to the ESC. Someone else might be able to explain the technical reasoning.

Anyone have experience of using the following two MGM ESCs :

TMM 80063-3

TMM 40063-3

Is Cap banks needed for them ?

Gilbert

Gilbert,

I am a North America dealer for MGM and their ECS's. If I can ever help you just let me know.

Ron,

I am considering to put Lehner 3038 on 53" mono and Gas Scale Hydro. Which ESC would be best suit for 15S on these models?

Gilbert,

You mean a 3080 and with either hull you are going to need the 40063 controller and 2P worth of batteries. I would also not recommend using 15S, but go one cell down to 14S to give the controller a little headroom.

TG

Back