Merlin plugs???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Gadoury

Has anyone tried Merlin plugs?

If so what's the verdict?

I'm running sport 20, sport 40 and scale, will they be any good for these classes?

Thanks for the info, I'm asking since I've never heard of those before.

Eric Gadoury

Eric

I would only get the 2006's and just get a few (6) and see if they work for you ...

Some have had bad luck with them, and some have had good luck with them !! 2003's don't waste your money !!

Butch

:( I did nt receive my reply fromDon Ferrette didnt show me picture of Merlin glow plug( shape and coil) :blink: :blink:

Allan,

I wouldn't worry about the picture from Don,the plugs are not that good.

If you are looking for a good plug, try the cone- loc plugs,they seal real

well.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

The 2006's aren't working out so well. I'm still trying out the 2001's and will know more the next time that I hit the pond. It looks like I'll be ordering some McCoy's.

I must be doing something wrong? These Merlin's are working out pretty good for me. Iv'e burnt more MC-9's than the Merlins.

Russell

What number are you running ?? What is the coldest standard plug they sell ?? Anyone ?

I have a few 2006's that I am running in a Mac O/B and OS O/B and they seem ok.... 55% - 60% fuel ..

Butch

Last edited by a moderator:
:D I spoke directly with Al Kelly today the maker and dist. of Merlin plugs. I voiced my concerns from what I have read about these plugs. Anyway I told him what size engines and %nitro and oil content. I also told him which oil. He told me that becuase I am running Ucon LB625 and Klotz caster I should run a oil content

of around 22-24%. He is very honest and concerned about quality and his customers. Basicly from what I got from our conversation I will be buying Merlin plugs and do not forsee any problems. :D :D :D

NITROSNIFER said:
:D I spoke directly with Al Kelly today the maker and dist. of Merlin plugs. I voiced my concerns from what I have read about these plugs. Anyway I told him what size engines and %nitro and oil content. I also told him which oil. He told me that becuase I am running Ucon LB625 and Klotz caster I should run a oil content of around 22-24%.  He is very honest and concerned about quality and his customers. Basicly from what I got from our conversation I will be buying Merlin plugs and do not forsee any problems.  :D   :D   :D

95647[/snapback]

24% oil??? Man that's alot of oil & seems like a "band-aid" approach to me. That much oil will absolutely kill power in smaller motors especially 21's. Perhaps they need to look into a full platinum alloy coil. These plugs are frying like they are just plated coils not full platinum. :blink:

I also must say that my merlin plugs have worked very well. I was able to run 1 plugs through my O.S. 21 outboard for most of my 1st season running. I use about 3-4 in my 2nd season with it. I also run them in my OPS 45 with OK luck. I have ones that last a couple weeks and I also have some that i burn before the engine even starts. I rune between 30 to 55% Nitro and 18-22% oil in both.

So far I have only run the 2001's in them. I have some new 2006's to run once my boat sare back together.

I would have to say that im pretty impressed with these.

:huh: I disagree Don. LB 625 is half as thick as the Klotz oil I was using last year. Same quality same manifacture. Has the same protective qualities. I don't think I'll see any diference as I am running 20% now. So 4% more of a thiner oil will only help my motors in anything. Our club did alot of research into this oil before purchasing it. We still use Klotz castor.

If I contacted Mccoy and said I'm buring plugs and gave them all the info they requested and thet told me to add more oil would'nt you????. I would. But this is not a ***** off. I had only mentioned what I had spoke to him about. I will keep you all posted as to how things progress after my order arrives. We will have approx. 10 boaters using them. So that should give us a good indication on how good/bad these plugs are as they will be used in everything from A OPC to X Hydro to Scales :)

NITROSNIFER said:
:huh: I disagree Don. LB 625 is half as thick as the Klotz oil I was using last year. Same quality same manifacture. Has the same protective qualities. I don't think I'll see any diference as I am running 20% now. So 4% more of a thiner oil will only help my motors in anything.  Our club did alot of research into this oil before purchasing it.
95695[/snapback]

Well if it's thinner oil then it's a different viscosity, therefore not the same. If you get those plugs to work for you then that's a good thing. For me they just couldn't cut it. I went back to the McCoy MC9's & the motors ran just like always with no other changes. I'm not going to change from an oil that has worked well for me based on saving a few pennies on a glow plug. Everyone's set up & conditions are different so what works for one may not work for another. I will tell you this though, a 3% decrease in oil was worth almost 4mph on my 21. :)

Curious. Why would more oil increase the life of a plug? It seems that more oil would only decrease the burn rate and amount of nitro and methanol.

In the case of people running 12-15% oil, you would increase oil content by 10% and what would be sacrificed? Nitro, meth or both?

At any rate, I saw Don run the plugs. The engines were rich and not really screaming and the plug failed every time. In a big way too. Then again, I haven't seen a turbo plug setup worth two cents either.

Preston_Hall said:
Curious. Why would more oil increase the life of a plug? It seems that more oil would only decrease the burn rate and amount of nitro and methanol.
In the case of people running 12-15% oil, you would increase oil content by 10% and what would be sacrificed? Nitro, meth or both?

95729[/snapback]

This is kinda what I was referring to when I said a band aid approach. There is no way a little 21 will ever reach it's full power potential slogging it's way thru 24% oil no matter what brand you use. :blink:

24% oil?

why would you do that to a perfectly good motor? I think you could dilute with tap water (cheaper and definitely more friendly to the duck feathers) and get the same effect

Back