Matching idea

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjslhill

Since most sprint classes run for 1 min how about matched cells with a 60 second cutoff at 35 amps?

How long do the enduro races last? I know Batavia is 4 min. We could match cells for this criteria as well.

Looking for suggestions.

We have all new equipment that can do 35 amps. We will do what you need. We also have new 3300 cells coming that are suppose to be the best yet.

Let me know what you think of these ideas.

Steve

Hi Steve,

NAMBA Offshore & ECO is usually 4 minutes, although it can be 2, 4, 6 or 8 minutes. The Enduro classes run at Texas & Florida were 8 minutes for 6 cell and 6 minutes for 12 & 18 cell. Sprint racing aside, by far the 4 minute races are most common in NAMBA sanction races, I hope that helps.

Don't you think that matched cells for 60 seconds or so would be best for sprint racing?

What benefits does the consumer get by only 60 second matching over fun runtime matching. Maybe that would spark more interest.

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

None, this would be for sprint racing only.

The normal non-matched zapped only method is best for fun running.

Racing classes that run longer could choose the normal .90V cutoff @ 30 amps.

Just thoughts......there is no dobut in my mind that 60 second 35 amp cells would be best for all out sprint classes.

If cells could be discharged at a current rate that reflects actual running conditions, then 60 second matching numbers could be very useful. How many sprint classes run at a 35 amp rate?...and would a 35 amp discharge rate give any better indication of a cells performance at higher running rates than a 30 amp matching rate? Too bad the Turbo4 is limited to 35A max, wonder if it's possible to adapt a shunt.....

Hi Steve, would the 60 second matched cells be a little cheaper because of less time on the matchers?

LOU

60 amps would be nice, I agree.

If cells could be discharged at a current rate that reflects actual running conditions, then 60 second matching numbers could be very useful. How many sprint classes run at a 35 amp rate?...and would a 35 amp discharge rate give any better indication of a cells performance at higher running rates than a 30 amp matching rate? Too bad the Turbo4 is limited to 35A max, wonder if it's possible to adapt a shunt.....

Not exactly, you still run the cells through the entire cycle, it just captures the performance on voltage average during the first 60 seconds.

Hi Steve, would the 60 second matched cells be a little cheaper because of less time on the matchers?

LOU

Another thought....... since at higher discharge rates a greater percentage of the cells capacity would be used, would it be more practical to show a longer discharge time?

For example, a GP3300 with a 420 sec run time @ 30 amps would use 15% of its capacity when discharged for 60 sec @ 30 amps. If the same cell were discharged for 60 sec @ 60 amps, or 120sec at 30 amps, it would have given up 30% of its capacity.

Granted, the internal resistance of the cell may be different at the higher rate, and the voltage may be affected, but double the run time at 30 amps could be a better indicator of the cells performance at 60 amps because it depletes the same percentage of the cells capacity.

It's not linear.....

A good cell at 20 may not be good at 35.

A bad cell at 20 will never be a good cell at 35.

So, the higher you go the more weaker cells you weed out.

Another thought....... since at higher discharge rates a greater percentage of the cells capacity would be used, would it be more practical to show a longer discharge time?

For example, a GP3300 with a 420 sec run time @ 30 amps would use 15% of its capacity when discharged for 60 sec @ 30 amps. If the same cell were discharged for 60 sec @ 60 amps, or 120sec at 30 amps, it would have given up 30% of its capacity.

Granted, the internal resistance of the cell may be different at the higher rate, and the voltage may be affected, but double the run time at 30 amps could be a better indicator of the cells performance at 60 amps because it depletes the same percentage of the cells capacity.

It's not linear.....

A good cell at 20 may not be good at 35.

A bad cell at 20 will never be a good cell at 35.

So, the higher you go the more weaker cells you weed out.
Steve-

I agree...... however, the limit is 35 amps......

Just looking at possible ways to work around that limit.

Interesting. You've gotta love US marketing. Those 60 amp matchers would only cost like 10-15 dollars more to make. Pretty much just add a couple more FETs and a double the number of resistors. Firmware of course would need to be modified. I bet you'd actually have to pay double to get something that high,.... if they make them.

Gene

Turbomatchers were developed for the R/C car market, where the amp draw rarely exceeds 35-40 amps. The manufacturer sees no reason to develop a higher rated version for a limited market such as FE boats....... I've asked. They will not even take the time to write an XP version of their Turbomatcher tracking and label software....... guess they feel that they have the battery matching market sewn up and dont need to put out any effort.

Well, I cans see why when we have about 50 serious boat racers in the US.

Turbomatchers were developed for the R/C car market, where the amp draw rarely exceeds 35-40 amps. The manufacturer sees no reason to develop a higher rated version for a limited market such as FE boats....... I've asked. They will not even take the time to write an XP version of their Turbomatcher tracking and label software....... guess they feel that they have the battery matching market sewn up and dont need to put out any effort.

Well, I cans see why when we have about 50 serious boat racers in the US.
CE's lack of interest in the hardware mods is simply good business sense, but the refusal to modify Turbolabel to run on the predominant operating system (XP) is difficult to understand. I have to dedicate a PC to run with my Turbomatcher or else reboot to a Win98 partiton every time info needs to be downloaded at the end of a cycle. Very cumbersome for the racer with one machine, probably no big deal for a commercial enterprise with multiple units.

Latest posts

Back