Lynx gone? What is the next hull everyone is running?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visions, Lynx, HTB, TS3 and some others are all good boats. Most of it is in the 'set up' and the rest of it is the driver. I first saw John Otto race in 1989. I can tell you that boat he raced on that day would still outrun a lot of 20 tunnels now. He lapped every other boat the race.

I have a fast and reliable 20 mod boat and if the nut behind the wheel could do a better job it would win races!!

Mic, I like your new pic. Those were the days!

p160_1_07.jpgp160_1_06.jpgp160_1_05.jpg

Heres a couple more for ya Mark. Roger Jenkins was one of my favorites. This is vintage

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 44576View attachment 44577View attachment 44578

Heres a couple more for ya Mark. Roger Jenkins was one of my favorites. This is vintage

Mic
That had to hurt!! Yikes. I have brother-in-law by my oldest sister who is 80 years old now and he was thown out of an Outboard back in the 60s, messed his back up big time and took a long time to get back right, never really full right. I have pictures of him in an open cockpit wearing nothing but one of those flaming orange Mae-Wests. Think I was about 6 years old then.

Dumas Hotshot......start a vintage class...... :)
As a "Vintage Tunnel Boat Racer," I'm all for that.

JD
Maybe all of us tunnel nuts should all build a vintage 20 boat (pre 1985), and create a class. Follow the Stock B Class engine requirements so only the stock K&B and OS would be allowed. We could come up with an "approved" list including the Prather Fastcat, Dumas Hotshot, original Leecraft before the XT, and others. That would be a blast. Maybe we take the nesessary steps to get the IMPBA to "test" this class for a year..... :)

Dumas Hotshot......start a vintage class...... :)
As a "Vintage Tunnel Boat Racer," I'm all for that.

JD
Maybe all of us tunnel nuts should all build a vintage 20 boat (pre 1985), and create a class. Follow the Stock B Class engine requirements so only the stock K&B and OS would be allowed. We could come up with an "approved" list including the Prather Fastcat, Dumas Hotshot, original Leecraft before the XT, and others. That would be a blast. Maybe we take the nesessary steps to get the IMPBA to "test" this class for a year..... :)
for a "true" vintage class, os is out. they came late to the game, ron. just mho, btw......also, what do you mean, "build a boat" between just us in d-12, we could fill a class off the shelf, so to speak :p :lol: :lol: . i've got a wood hotshot sprint & a wood hot shot 4 ready to go :ph34r: . lets get up a proposal, it's been talked about a bunch, just none of us ever got off our butt .

Gotta use readily available powerplants. Its more about the boats than the engines. Stock B rules would work.

K&B, OS, TT.

Robin I hear ya. True vintage would be K&B and maybe you could make a case for TT's. I think Dunny will be basking in all the "royalty residuals" with resurgence of the Hot Shot. Robin could quit his job and sell K&B's. He has more parts than Mecoa.

Mic

Ron, Robin, Mic, that would be a COOL idea! Ive got a wood Octura TOMS CAT (1984/85) with a water cooled K&B 3.5.....hows that for vintage! have no idea if it'll even run, but.........wonder if a 3.55SS would be considered "vintage"? Robin , i could hang that on my lil 24" wood Hotshot! MAN! I wish i still had my first Hot Shot with the full nose! I love 'ol raceboats!! :)

What about Vintage 7.5, 8701 powerhead "untouched", why just 3.5? We have boat loads ready to come out of hiding! eBay is full of 8701s aand 7.5 Dumas, Prathers, etc. Slow everyone down and get rubbin.

What about Vintage 7.5, 8701 powerhead "untouched", why just 3.5? We have boat loads ready to come out of hiding! eBay is full of 8701s aand 7.5 Dumas, Prathers, etc. Slow everyone down and get rubbin.
Thats an idea as well James. I was thinking 20 using OS, TT, and K&B as the engines are easily acquired. The 8701 and even the 8702 K&B engines are drying up even on eBay. If we get this class started we need to think about 4-5 years down the road. We don't want to see it go the route of the 40 stock tunnel class.

You are all set Dave. I have an old original Leecraft 40, before the XT460 came out late 80's. i believe Tommy came out with this hull early 80's. I could have one ready to run very quickly. Beasley could too. We need to come up with a list of pre 1985 boats that would qualify. Beasley can probably just walk out into his shop and make a list as he probably has them all???.... :p

I think Mic has the molds for my old Leecraft, but I think he changed the top deck. If he still has the original molds boats from that mold would qualify as being a part of the original vintage series as long as the boats are exactly as they were when Tommy was building them, with no changes. The Lapcat ll is also still made as those molds were purchased by HyperPerformance.

I have a ready to run Dumas hotshot sprint 3.5 with the blunt nose that has a bone stock K&B 3.5...lol...Would this hull qualify?.This would be a fun class.... I really got to join impba so i can be a part of this...lol

I have a ready to run Dumas hotshot sprint 3.5 with the blunt nose that has a bone stock K&B 3.5...lol...Would this hull qualify?.This would be a fun class.... I really got to join impba so i can be a part of this...lol
That's right Chris. First we need to decide 20 or 40 sized hull, then go from there. Get your IMPBA membership done and come to the Spring Nats in Atlanta in April to learn how everything works. If you have your membership I can put you to work helping us and you will be allowed in the pits. Great way to see what racing is all about and then you will be ready to come to the WTC in Charleston in May and bring some boats to run. Bring your Bro in law too..... :)

Just started a new thread for this vintage tunnel discussion as a lot of people have some great ideas.

I only have about 4 Lynx left to build from last falls orders. You guys sure are quick to throw somebody in the fire on here... I will start taking orders again this spring

-Carl

Back