Loose or tight boat ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertWurster

Ok im not sure how you guys get your boat to run tighter or loose.So if you could explane this to me I would be most happy for the info on what you do. Thanks Robert

On a hydro, to set tighter, drop strut or add angle, change balance point forward, run less sponson angle. To run looser, raise strut, run flatter angle move balance back, add more angle to sponsons.

one thing to keep in mind. props will change alot of this as well.

I ran my boats looser than most. tight boats tend to want to stuff and HUNT specially in traffic. so when you test. test by yourself 1st.. watch everything.. roostertail. back end hop. get the boat so it is happy by yourself.. then go out and test with a few others.. you will know real quick how much you need to change. when changing the strut that also changes the front end.. more angle makes it easier to launch the boat.. plants the front end off the corners better, but i also makes the boat run not as smooth in choppier water. there is a balance.

One tip if you will. and this is just me and how i do things.. i always tryed to work with the back of the boat.

2 reasons.

1. that is where the prop is.. props are sensitive. and changes to the back of the boat changes prop's and how they work. i always worked with back 1st.. then went forward.. may not be RIGHT but that is what worked for me.. i found myself trying to TIGHTEN the boat up with the front ( sponsons ) and caused other issues.. dartyness, draggy hard to launch ect.. i had much better success working with the back end 1st.

2. DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!! advice is great, watch the people that win, look at there stuff, but remember it may not work for you. so all i have said, you can try you may not like it. but if you try it you will know.

one other thing.. TAKE NOTES.. keep them.

i was bad about this.. everything i know is in my head lol.. i never wrote anything down.. i can still tell you to this day what to run for setup on every boat i have ever owned or worked with. but that is mean.. if you get flustered easy.. write it down. keep a log.. date, temp all the info you need.. that way you can go back to that if need be.

hope that helps

chris

Good info Chris .Ive been chasing the boat spinning out right after the turn or right be for it Seems to be for no reason .real head scratcher .The ass end just spins out to the left. Never stuffed it or had a blow over I need to work on the strut I think.

yes typically when the boat spins out the rudder is to short. I would try a longer rudder as mentioned. I would bet that will fix it. if you go cutting the rudder take off a small amount at a time. have a spare because really the only way to know how much is to short is to go to far with it. you will see this more on boats that run X- series props as they are high lift. as in mono's and sport 40's maybe scales not sure what they run for props

Last edited by a moderator:
The turn fin can also cause the flat spin. If its too far back the boat just pivots right around it.

Chris,

You need to get out to a pond and try a X-450 on your 21 hydro?

I think you will find that a X-series has very low lift compared to a lifting propeller like

A 1450 or 1650. Quite a few monos and scale boats are running three blades now to keep the transom

up in the corners and keep the hulls flat thru the turns. Hope you bring your Father to Hobart this year.

We would enjoy the company and competition this year. Please consider this race if you can fit it in your

schedule, we have missed you the last few years.

Enjoy The Summer,

Mark Sholund

Latest posts

Back