Looking for GOOD Hydro Build Thread and answers.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockflyer

I am currently building the Newtons Maine Plans 157 (The Lobster) and have a couple of questions:

1- Radio Box in front or back?

2- Fuel tank in front, back or 2 small ones connected together on the side, I guess the sholder? the part that connects the tub to the sponson.

3- Good turn fin?

4- Good running hardware?

5- I have seen a seperate mixture control and I think it was on a CMB, is it only for them or can you use it with other name brand?

6- If I were to race, where would I find the building standard for the boat/engine info?

7- Does it have to nitro or would a 260 be too big?

8- Engine Position?

I know this is allot of questions but any info would help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently building the Newtons Maine Plans 157 (The Lobster) and have a couple of questions:

2- Fuel tank in front, back or 2 small ones connected together on the side, I guess the sholder? the part that connects the tub to the sponson.

3- Good turn fin?

5- I have seen a seperate mixture control and I think it was on a CMB, is it only for them or can you use it with other name brand?

6- If I were to race, where would I find the building standard for the boat/engine info?

1.) Depends on preference, set-up, etc... If you run a tuned pipe thru the transom, I'd recommend front for sure because of clearance issues. Your boat is a turbine so this is not so much an issue. CG can be a consideration. Depending on your setup you might want more weight fore or aft of the CG. Im setting up my U-3 w/ a front box w/ a small box in the back for just the rudder servo, just to keep the pushrod short.

2.) I've had fuel tanks in all of the different locations. Depends on preference/set-up. Alot of folks like it in the inside of the boat in the left non trip area, and some will use a 2 oz hopper tank closer to the motor.

3.) Turn Fins- Dick Tyndall, Virginia Craftsman, El Zorro on this board. He was injured racing outboards so he may be limited w/ what he can help w/ right now. Mike Hughes makes good fins as well from what I understand. He's also on this board under his name.

4.) Hardware- Speedmaster, Aeromarine, Competition Marine Designs , Mike Hughes would all work for you. I've used the first two and never had any problems.

5.) Remote Needles- I've used Bob Violet (BVM) remote w/ success. Also, OS makes a mixture control for which Don Ferrette makes a base that alot of people like. Regarding what you're talking about, it would probably work, but I can't comment as I've never used one of those.

6.) Racing/Building standards: Master Hull Roster is utilized by most. You can find a copy on the NAMBA site and also on the RCU (Radio Control Unlimiteds) site. As far as rules go, IMPBA or NAMBA are two separate organizations. Rules depend on the organization you race in. For the most part, the standard is based on the Master Hull Roster +/- 10%.

7.) Not sure if you can race in classic thunderboats, you'd have to ask someone that runs them. You may need to do some mods to hull/cowl for gas engine. Maybe someone else can chime in here. Its been done though.

Hope this helps!

Rich Jones

3- Good turn fin?

8- Engine Position?

Radio in back, fuel in front, motor as far forward as cowl allows. THe Winston lobster is a narrow hull that would use a 4 inch wide motor mount. .67 size engine, CMB is available. Speedmaster or CMDI hardware is good.

Winston Eagle

Stay away from the 260 in this boat. The boat has very little bouyancy so it may not be able to hold up the gas engine and tuned pipe if it stalls

Stay away from the 260 in this boat. The boat has very little bouyancy so it may not be able to hold up the gas engine and tuned pipe if it stalls
Hydro Junkie,

If it does not have that much floatation would it be wise to use that 2 part foam in the sponsons? I know the holes in the plans are for drainage but if they are foamed up there wont be any leaks and give more floatation.

Thanks all for the info, it has been a great help.

Hydro Junkie,

If it does not have that much floatation would it be wise to use that 2 part foam in the sponsons? I know the holes in the plans are for drainage but if they are foamed up there wont be any leaks and give more floatation.

how do you plan on building this hull with a z260? Maybe if you do it 1/4 scale.

Update your profile we cant tell what where or who we are dealing with and maybe just a wasted time answering your questions, you ever build anything or have some time in this type of hobby?

Hydro Junkie,

how do you plan on building this hull with a z260? Maybe if you do it 1/4 scale.

Update your profile we cant tell what where or who we are dealing with and maybe just a wasted time answering your questions, you ever build anything or have some time in this type of hobby?

I do have builing experience. I am into the Giant Scale Warbirds and such. I have built a Ziroli P51 and P40 from a short kit , Topflight Giant Scale planes and numerous other aircraft. I have liked this hobby (boats) for awhile but never got into it. I started reading more and more and started to like it. Then I started to get into watching drag boat races and loved it. I got to see one up close in Jacksonville Florida, the guy that owns Bad Ass Diecast has one in the back of the shop and it was impressive.

I have the BJ26 Nitro and BJ26 Electric but want something larger. I also like the rigger style. I was going to get into electrics but after seeing what the batteries and speed controller cost and the run time bieng half of what the nitros will run I decided to goto nitro/gas.

It is basically a change for me, leave the airplane side and try something new. So I am a newbie to the world of boats but I am not a newbie to building.

I will update my profile ASAP, and sorry for not doing it sooner.

Joe

Hydro Junkie,

I do have builing experience. I am into the Giant Scale Warbirds and such. I have built a Ziroli P51 and P40 from a short kit , Topflight Giant Scale planes and numerous other aircraft. I have liked this hobby (boats) for awhile but never got into it. I started reading more and more and started to like it. Then I started to get into watching drag boat races and loved it. I got to see one up close in Jacksonville Florida, the guy that owns Bad Ass Diecast has one in the back of the shop and it was impressive.

I have the BJ26 Nitro and BJ26 Electric but want something larger. I also like the rigger style. I was going to get into electrics but after seeing what the batteries and speed controller cost and the run time bieng half of what the nitros will run I decided to goto nitro/gas.

It is basically a change for me, leave the airplane side and try something new. So I am a newbie to the world of boats but I am not a newbie to building.

I will update my profile ASAP, and sorry for not doing it sooner.

Joe
HEY thanks Just hate to see you spin your prop with out sucess :lol:

There are a few talented flyers that have gone boating on here too.

I have attached some photos of my build and some of my other builds. If you have any comments please let me know, good or bad. I am a big boy and can handle the truth. This is my first time posting pixs of my work on the internet ever!

Top View....PICT8509.JPG

Side View....PICT8507.JPG

Top/Front view....PICT8510.JPG

Top Centerline....PICT8514.JPG

Side View.....PICT8508.JPG

Some of the other boats I have..PICT8516.JPG

One of my airplane builds, it is a profile of a Extra 330L...PICT8522.JPG

"Spirit of Texas" SeaFury. It is a Pylon RacerPICT8524.JPG

My first attempt at a boat build...It is the Predator.PICT8521.JPG

Thanks all for looking. I am still looking for suggestion like the title says.

Joe

Back