Looking for and old issue of: Boat Modeler Magazine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Van Houten

Supporting Member
Vendor
I am looking for someone who may have a copy of the Boat Modeler Magazine that had the coverage of the 1990 Winter Nationals in Orlando Fl. I have this magazine is around here somewhere but I can't locate it. I spoke to Joe Monohan about it and it had a picture of his 3.5cc O/B Sundowner Hydro in it. I am fairly sure about the year but I could be off a little there. The heading of the story said " Most impressive boat at the winter National" Joey drove the boat and the article had his picture taken with the boat. If I remember right the front right sponson was grey primer from a repair. We had a run off with John Brown for second place if I remember right. I think that was when Andy and John were building the Mongoose Hydro's then.

For its day, it was eating that course for lunch running a stock K&B 3.5 with a 707 throttle exhaust (no pipe) and no carb. The needle was screwed directly into the setscrew threads. The top speed wasn't but about 64-65 mph but back then that wasn't too bad because it would make short work of the corners. That little K&B sounded like you were choking a goat compared to the screaming piped engines. If you have this issue, please contact me and I would be glad to pay you for it or if you don't want to part with the magazine, please scan the article and send it to me or Joe.

THANKS!

-Carl

Carl is right on! That Sundowner was about the only serious competition our 21 Mongoose had at that time. Our Mongoose was running 64-65 mph with a Picco P5. 21 boats were heavy by today's standards about 5 pounds.

Carl is right on! That Sundowner was about the only serious competition our 21 Mongoose had at that time. Our Mongoose was running 64-65 mph with a Picco P5. 21 boats were heavy by today's standards about 5 pounds.
That was a lot of fun that year. Andy if I remember right, your brother John designed and built an O/B hydro a few years after that for Pat Brannon that lived in Arizona. Why haven't you guys ever offered a hot production outboard hydro to the market? I am sure it would wake up the class. They run them in Charleston every year. That is a perfect place to gain a lot of interest in that class. Just wondering.

-Carl

I was at that race Carl. It was an impressive little boat, but in the run off the inboard probably had 8-10 mph on it. The OB nailed the start and the Mongoose caught it pretty easy.

Here is a shot from the 1989 Winternats from RCBM summer 1990. I have 2 copies, you are welcome to have one.image.jpg

Here is a shot from the 1989 Winternats from RCBM summer 1990. I have 2 copies, you are welcome to have one.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Hey that is GREAT! I would like to get that copy from you. We need to talk anyway so we can work out the details then. Ole Joey Lejunne. I haven't seen him in 15 years. The last time I heard he wasn't in such good health.

That little K&B with no pipe or carb was a lot of fun. It would run about 60-62mph.The 3.5cc O/B hydro is a fun boat to run. A few years back, I designed a special O/B hydro and put my stock, water cooled O/S on it. It went over 70 mph and held the O/B straight line record for a few years with (no tuned pipe) until David Hall got it. He cheated though...he used a tuned pipe!
default_smile.png
(sorry David) Yea, I need to get back on that project and see if the new air cooled O/S has enough extra punch in the stock configuration to get the record.

I am glad Andy Brown only runs inboards so I don't have to figure out how to go that fast.

Anyway, THANKS FOR FINDING THE MAGAZINE ARTICLE FOR ME BOB!

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at that race Carl. It was an impressive little boat, but in the run off the inboard probably had 8-10 mph on it. The OB nailed the start and the Mongoose caught it pretty easy.
Our Sundowner was running about 62-63 mph. Not bad for 25 years ago. Andy's boats have always been fast. We knew that we had enough speed to at least stay in the pack. Even though we knew we may not win, we felt that the little outboard would be in the hunt at the end of the day. John Brown's boat was running mid 60's as Andy stated. Andy and John brown have contributed as much as anybody to the inboard hydro design and they are just mind bending fast these days thanks to guys like them! I have never had an inboard of any kind but the speed of the 45 Hydros these days makes me want to build one.

-Carl

Last edited by a moderator:
Back