Looking for a Picture of "The Boat"

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is why I hate 1/8 scale at times. The "BOAT" as it was so named was because the APBA at the time said the rules where you have to have a name on it sponsor or some type of name. The hull had already qualified with just a number on it and WINGS. After Fred was told of the rule he went and got shelf paper and stuck the name of BOAT on just the right side. The Unlimited Racing Commissioner at the time had no sense of humor told Fred the name had to be on both sides. So the left side had duct tape Boat on it. The hull qualified with wings and raced with wings however in heat 1b the wings where damaged and removed. Very limited budget in those days. So that is why there are shots of wings on and no wings. All of this information came from Mike Hanson the driver who has more stories of the good ole days with Fred Leland. Some are very funny. So here is the grey area of wings take it where you want but as MR. Hanson said many times over and over That boat always ran wings if it didn't it was because of damage but as soon as they where fixed they where back on. That includes when it ran as the Coors Light.

And using MIke's stories as first hand information, wouldn't that mean that this boat, in all scale classes, should have the tails and wing as they were only removed due to damage?

The only reason I asked is that, a few years ago, there was a discussion over boats not having a wing, specifically the Olympia Beer and the T-4 Budweiser. The Oly was deemed legal as the wing was taken off for one race without being damaged while the Bud ran in Madison without a wing after both the wings were broken by water coming up through the blow holes, breaking the wings in half. Since the Bud ran without wings due to damage, it was deemed to be a non-legal boat in scale. I don't remember which rules were being discussed at the time, however

IMPBA says if it ran that way and you have documentation then you can run it that way. End of story period. Unless you r in namba. In which case you must defer to hydro junkie I guess. ....

Oh that's sarcastic! I'll shut up now. Forgive me father for I have sinned.

That's why I like IMPBA 1/8th Scale rules over Namba. Sometimes the die hard Scale guys are a little over bearing make it more difficult then it has to be.

Wesley, I asked a legitimate question and gave my reason for asking it. THAT DID NOT DESERVE THE SO CALLED "SARCASTIC" RESPONSE YOU SEEM TO THINK WAS APPROPRIATE. Needless to say, I DON'T GIVE A **** WHAT YOU THINK

Sam, I agree that some go a little overboard as I've butted heads over boats a few times as well. The boat I've had issues with on more than one occasion is the 7325 Pay'N Pak. Even with photographic evidence that it ran with an engine cover, not to mention a verbal confirmation from Jim Lucero that it ran that way TWICE in 1973, I was told that I would not be able to run the boat with an engine cover and had to run with a dummy Merlin. To enforce that determination, the rules were REWORDED to say that "all boat must conform to its most recognized form" so that I would be forced to follow the "powers that be's" wishes. The boat is still in my garage, unfinished to this day.

D. Engine and Boat Specifications 1. All models must be of a real unlimited hydroplane as listed in the APBA Master Hull Roster list. The model owner must show the real boat attempted to qualify, qualified or raced in an actual sanctioned racing event, in the configuration being modeled, via photographic and/or written documentation. Failure to adequately meet the validation requirements can result in the model not being allowed to compete in an IMPBA event until proper documentation is obtained.

This is out of the IMPBA rule book. So now you can build a new group of boats under the attempted to qualify rule.
default_smile.png

D. Engine and Boat Specifications 1. All models must be of a real unlimited hydroplane as listed in the APBA Master Hull Roster list. The model owner must show the real boat attempted to qualify, qualified or raced in an actual sanctioned racing event, in the configuration being modeled, via photographic and/or written documentation. Failure to adequately meet the validation requirements can result in the model not being allowed to compete in an IMPBA event until proper documentation is obtained.

This is out of the IMPBA rule book. So now you can build a new group of boats under the attempted to qualify rule.
default_smile.png
Yup know it well because I did the re-write of that part (as well as others) of the 1/8th scale rules after some great input from a chat with a rather knowledgeable boater by the name of Rod Geraghty (thanks Rod for all you've brought to this hobby
default_smile.png
). Even with that broad brush approach we still get people who want to argue about running versions that only tested in a certain configuration. Boats like the Bud T-4 with the mini canard wings or the Winston Eagle with the clown mouth scoop for example. One thing for sure is you'll never make everyone happy..........
default_biggrin.png

Don, what would be acceptable as "written documentation"? I know there has to be people that probably won't accept anything but a photo of a boat running and then demand proof that it was shot at a sanctioned race. That was one of the problems I had with my Pak build from many years ago

Hey Don quick question how about the Boeing Bio fuel boat Chip ran? It did run qualifying runs in Seattle?

Don, what would be acceptable as "written documentation"? I know there has to be people that probably won't accept anything but a photo of a boat running and then demand proof that it was shot at a sanctioned race. That was one of the problems I had with my Pak build from many years ago
Written documentation would be like a news article about how a boat ran say without a wing, or something similar from a team owner or crew would work. Still would want pics as well.

Hey Don quick question how about the Boeing Bio fuel boat Chip ran? It did run qualifying runs in Seattle?
Chip did qualify the boat during the test run, actually had fastest qualifying speed. It was later withdrawn after Dave Villwock qualified the Elam. I know that, in R/C Unlimiteds, it is and has always been a legal boat due to the fact it was listed as a qualified boat. Just a little trivia, the boat still has it's Boeing paint job on it and is on display at the HARM. You can actually see it behind the Pak's left sponson in this shot

pak.4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back