Locking down a cowl ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Mulvany

How would keep a cowl on a boat that has no over the tub cover nothing on the sides to mount to or any way to mount locking points??? I'm thinking of glassing in several aluminum angles and affixing magnets?? Good or bad?

Later!!

Pat

I had that problem on my F-41 with the drag cowl. The cowl had the area for cowl locks so I had to fabricate some tabs for the lower part, glued and screwed into place. I used some Allen-head servo screws to go through the deck's lip.

Cheap way. 1/8" landing gear straps, exhaust O-rings and servo screws with the brass grommets upside-down. Mount those so that you really don't have to stretch the O-rings any more than you absolutely have to. To save some more money there I've used the nitride O-rings from Harbor Freight.

I'm guessing you would glue magnets to the aluminum to attract other magnets as aluminum is non magnetic?????

This is a Gas Scale so I can't have exposed screws or rubber bands?? I'll go with about five magnets that ought to hold it in place???

Later!!

Pat

With 5 magnets that baby ain't goin' nowhere! Try 3 first. These are seriously strong little suckers.

It's not easy to see as it's right on the rear lip where the engine cover goes.

I wished that I'd seen this earlier as I just put the boat in the trailer or I could have gotten you a closer shot.

IMG_20140522_165052.jpg

The place to get the magnets and cups to hold them is at Lee Valley.com just search thru the catalog and they have sizes from 1/4" to 1" and an elephant can't pull them suckers apart!!!

Later!!

Pat

Thanks I just tried the earth magnets on my new CF boat I used 3 of them on each side and I had the cowl come off once. I set them inside a .023 CF sheet it seems to me they work better when they are touching each other. I'm going to try a different method and I'm sure they will work.

Jose

You don't want to use two magnets opposite of each other?? 1 magnet and use a steel washer on the cowl side is plenty of hold. With this scale I wish to have all mounting bolts and attachments hidden on the inside for scale appearance? It's a shame the Winston didn't use pull rubbers to hold down the cowls??

Later!!

Pat

Latest posts

Back