Lithium Polymer

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewg

Got my lithiums today

about the size of a playing card and 3/16" thick

will give results when I have had time to set some up

Andrew

fastelectrics.com

Looking forward to your report. We did some calculations and so far it takes too many packs in parallel to equal the 2600's in larger classes. It may work well in Micro boats ect.

Steve

I agree there is no way these can do high discharge but in a micro the lack of weight plus big runtime may be very good

I got them for a long long runtime project ie low current draw

and they are big bikkys

I am told that by mid-year the hgh discharge version 10 C continuous will be available

Andrew

fastelectrics.com

I finally see someone trying lithiums, not that I get around much....

Anyway, I have about 2 dozen used laptop batteries that are full of Li Ion batteries and wanted to try them in my boat.

They are slightly larger than the Sub-C's and have about a 2.5V capacity(unconfirmed).

What I wanted to know was how you are charging your Li cells?

Unfortunately I don't have a donor laptop to rip the charger out of.

CLS...

CME those lithiums are unlikely to be suitaboe for anything but a very low discharge rate

Check before you use them

Use a schulze or orbit charger for Lithium ions

BTW at this stage Kokams are not the go in boats too little current really - and they have very fragile tabs compared to the cylindrical cells we know. Discharge rates and hopefully the robustness of the cells will improve soon

Andrew

www.fastelectrics.com

I've got a few friends useing those in there park flyers and the performance is incredible. If it's any indication of what's to come.....

Mike Hughes showed me his setup and he uses a cell phone charger to charge his polymers!

Dick

Agreed....but it's not there yet for full size boats. I am working with someone on finding the bests cells. Costs is another factor, they are not low cost.

How well would these work for reciever packs? I'm looking for something lightweight for running some sub- or micro servos.

The laptop batteries that I have seen are 2 parallel sets of 4 cells in series. The cells are 3.6V 1200mAh. This gives you an output of 14.4V at 2400mAh. The cells charge at 4.2V per cell and .7 of capacity. They are not polymers. If you short them they will EXPLODE. You can build your own charger from parts at radio shack for $20. Go to http://shdesigns.org/ and click on personal info/RC aircraft at the top of the page. There is a schematic for building Li ion charger. You can also buy them at http://www.b-p-p.com/products.htm Right now you can get a 1200mAh cell that is rated for 7.5 amps and 9+ in short bursts. You can pull more out of the cells but this only drastically kills the life of the pack. They should be coming out with some new cells mid year that are 10 amp rated. The one thing I like is that they are so light. A 7.2V 1020mAh battery pack weighs only 1.5 oz. When your plane only weighs 6 oz total, every .25 oz counts.

Mike

So, all this is beginning to look possible for an S400 type at least. A pack of 2 series/2parallel weighing 100g approx with a capacity of 2,400 mAh at a discharge rate of 15A continuous, as against my current 600 mAh ni-cads weighing 175 g approx. For the amount of time I get to play, overnight charging for a 20+ minute run time would be fine, especially as I have heard that they hold their charge well.

The only thing worrying me is the amount of acrimony being generated on the ezone by the aeropane types about the accuracy of the figures. They're also out of stock more often than not, so this is pretty hypothetical till they're available in Europe.

Guiri

it is looking possible but not till a higher dis/charge rate cells comes out - as Mike says they are due mid-year

Andrew

www.fastelectrics.com

We will start carrying the E-tec line of LiPoly this week. The 1200 cell is good up to 6C by itself, of course this doubles with cells in parallel.

I'll be posting prices, weight, charts etc on the web site.

;)

thanks

Steve

Latest posts

Back