length Parabolic pipe on picco

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nws

What length are you running Andys parabolic pipe on Picco black head.

From center of motor to high point on pipe.

Thank

Norris Sparks

Norris,

Generally anywhere between 8.5" to 9.5" and depends on if the engine is modified, you want to sling a bigger prop, if it a hydro or mono. All are factors to determine the best length.

Boat is hydro. It is a new Blue head picco.

Was using a 1662 Sunday, with a old Iwin 45 pipe.

Trying to set the parabolic pipe up.

Norris

Boat is hydro. It is a new Blue head picco.Was using a 1662 Sunday, with a old Iwin 45 pipe.

Norris
WOW! A 1662 is one hell of a 40 hydro prop!

What kind of rigger/hydro is it?

Larry Jr.

my own design. Same boat I run for 5 or 6 years.

The new blue head has a lot a power.

Boat is hydro. It is a new Blue head picco.Was using a 1662 Sunday, with a old Iwin 45 pipe.

Norris

Try the 9.5" for a prop that big. Longer pipe gives more torque, shorter is more rpm.

I have not had the chance to try my new blue head yet. Have knee surgery 2 days for now and have been a cripple for almost 2 months. It has really cut into my testing opportunities.

Fellas,

Way too much propeller for a 45 hydro. Try the pipe at 8.5" and a 1657 propeller

and tell us how that worked. Right Larry? Instead of so much propeller try setting

it deeper in the water for better efficiency. If the 1657 is not enough, deeper in the

water, try pitching it up. I know someone running in the 80's with this combination.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas,
Way too much propeller for a 45 hydro. Try the pipe at 8.5" and a 1657 propeller

and tell us how that worked. Right Larry? Instead of so much propeller try setting

it deeper in the water for better efficiency. If the 1657 is not enough deeper in the

water, try pitching it up. I know someone running in the 80's with this combination.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
I think Mark's right on with his post. I've run the parabolic at 8.5 with a Barr cut 1657 at 80plus in a Crapshooter. If the new Blue Picco is more powerful, I'd run a full blade and start pitching it up.

RJ

Fellas,

it deeper in the water for better efficiency. If the 1657 is not enough deeper in the

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
I think Mark's right on with his post. I've run the parabolic at 8.5 with a Barr cut 1657 at 80plus in a Crapshooter. If the new Blue Picco is more powerful, I'd run a full blade and start pitching it up.

RJ
Hey RJ,

Was the stinger i.d stock or? Thanks

Norris,

45 Crapshooter, Orlic Blackhead, old style Parabolic with the .380 stinger @ 8.00" and a good 1657 runs 80s in heat trim all day long. 88mph at it's best. :)

Norris, your old Stalker Pro did the testing :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas,

it deeper in the water for better efficiency. If the 1657 is not enough, deeper in the

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Well Mark, Being Norris' pit man sunday I observed boat with a 57mm prop 14 or 1657 and boat was under propped.

After Norris tried the 1662 the boat launched easy and pulled it effortless. he was able to let off and reaccellerate with no prob.

There are several D hydros in this area that pull 1462 's and 1662 's Norris Sparks owns one of them. JOE P.

P.S. Prop you sent me made it .THANKS

Joe,

But how fast was it going 80+ MPH?

I bet he has his strut up rather high.

RPM = SPEED

You don't need a 67 hydro propeller

on a 45 hydro. I would bet it was a

1457 not a 1657. Can I ask you how

the boat handled in the corner or better yet

what were his corner times?

Have Fun Testing Those Big Propellers,

Mark Sholund

Fellas,

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

RJ
Hey RJ,

Nice to hear from you Ron,

The stinger was stock but the inside baffle was drilled out to one size smaller than the stinger.

Later, Ron

the 1662 was down to dia. of 1657.

Got more pitch than a stock 1657. Was repitch on Martys 1662 duplicator.

The old Iwin pipe like a lot of pitch.

My old blue head,short stroke would that 1662 in high 70s all day.

Will try the parabolic on this weekend.

It was better than stock 1657.

Fellas,

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

RJ
Hey RJ,

Nice to hear from you Ron,

The stinger was stock but the inside baffle was drilled out to one size smaller than the stinger.

Later, Ron
thanks RJ.

stk diameter 1657 @ 4.8 cup is a 88 mph prop on a current picco 45 & a short 8mm stinger parobolic pipe

the 1662 was down to dia. of 1657.Got more pitch than a stock 1657. Was repitch on Martys 1662 duplicator.

The old Iwin pipe like a lot of pitch.

My old blue head,short stroke would that 1662 in high 70s all day.

Will try the parabolic on this weekend.

It was better than stock 1657.
Norris, You forgot to tell the guys that the new blue head motor isnt exactly stock....

Id say that Norris cant leave anything alone, and if it sat on his kitchen table long its guaranteed to really haul @$* ! This ole' Guy Knows His S@#T JOE P

Ive ran a pitched 1462 on my D Hydro with the bottom of strut level +/- 1mm at rear shoe bottom

with a irwin pipe for years. Brad Christy knows this boat (hates it) ive raced him at dayton, and won a couple years with a boat as old as he is and still runs 72-75mph as ive heard people say,all day long! the boat stays hooked up in race water with the big wheel, and the water is usually rough. probably helping to free hull. just my 2 cents worth.

The only reason I am trying the Parabolic pipe is to be under the db at Celina.

The old Iwrin pipe is to loud, with the Prather muffler.

In heat race trim, if I can go in high 70s will be fast enough for this old man.

Test at pond in the 80s, by my self is alright, but not in a race.

Have not race a 40 boat in heat race in a lot of years.

Norris

Norris,

Since you have so much HP and you are cutting down propellers which does increase the pitch ratio,

you should try a 1860 from Octura and see what you have in that motor. Your 1662 is really a 1857

now any ways. A 1860 is very fast if you can pull it into the 90's.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Latest posts

Back