LeeCraft Tunnels win first in A Mod and B Mod at 2011 NAMBA Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ted:

Definitely didn’t offend me, in fact didn’t think much of it until you mentioned it, but thank you for the consideration. Lots of people read these posts looking for information, and you see diverse opinions. I’ve seen Mike Z, give the exact set up, Prop, motor position, Act…, on a VS1 (Villian), boat he’s won multiple national titles with. Then see someone with very little experience give set up advice on the same post. For new racers it’s sometimes hard to know who’s who here. I made the comment about never rigging a radio box, so those reading can have a little better back ground on me, so readers might then have a better understanding of my opinion. I’ve been racing tunnels since I was 8, I understand the terms and theories, but if you give me a boat and wrenches, asked me to make it work, I’m going to just hand everything back to you. But as a driver not too many in the hobby have run more heats. I can usually pick up a radio put two laps on a boat, and tell you quickly what needs to change. After those two laps I’ll tell you to speak with my dad about how it needs to be done.

As for my dad I couldn’t agree more with knowing how happy it makes my dad feel to see me do well. Over the years every US-1, and World Tunnel will I’ve won, has been because the day or week before the race, He’s taking parts off of one of his boats, to make me faster and give me a better chance to win, even when he’s in the exact same classes I’m running. At the Nats in 2009 literally 20 min before the first heat, he gave me his complete set up for 20 mod, had he kept his boat the trophy would have a different name on it. Truly cannot say enough about my relationship with my dad, since I was a kid he always put me before him, and even now still doing it, truly how a great role model of how to be a dad. I also have my own little guys now, and understand the joy, of wanting to see your kids to well, even if I have to give something up in return. I appreciate everything, thank you Dad.

Jay,

Those were great things to say about your Dad. My girls are the same, they are very appreciative over the things I do for them as well. I had this very conversation with Dick Lobe today at the race in Atlanta. I am glad you have no problem in a public forum telling everyone how much you appreciate your Dad and what he does for you. So many people today worry too much about what other people think. You are OK in my book!!!!......... ;)

I look forward to racing with you guys in Charleston!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked at the Atlanta scores and was impressed with the number of tunnels in the field. FE tunnel wow and not even Jimmy D. Also Ron Shaw came through with a great performance in his return to tunnels. Guess he didn't need the Corrosion X after all, Must have some stainless steel in his veins. On to Chuckytown and maybe Ron needs to plan a Florida trip to the tri-oval in the November.

Mic

Good job at the Grand Prix Ron Shaw... now wheres the smack talk to keep this thread going? :D
Thanks Mike. It feels great to be back. There was quite a line up of tunnels at the race this weekend. All of us had a blast. Great to see competitive tunnel racing is still alive and well. The guys from the CMB were great to race with and are awesome drivers. Everyone that entered could win on any given weekend. I was happy to see additional Leecrafts there as well........... ;)

Just looked at the Atlanta scores and was impressed with the number of tunnels in the field. FE tunnel wow and not even Jimmy D. Also Ron Shaw came through with a great performance in his return to tunnels. Guess he didn't need the Corrosion X after all, Must have some stainless steel in his veins. On to Chuckytown and maybe Ron needs to plan a Florida trip to the tri-oval in the November.

Mic
Thanks Mic. Don't put that Corrosion X away just yet, still have some rusty areas to work on, like watching the water for wind that you dont feel on the drivers stand, and remembering I do have the ability to slow down!!!!.... ;) Caught me off guard several times this weekend. The number of tunnels this past weekend was a breath of fresh air and a great feeling that tunnel racing in the south is alive and well. See ya in Charlleston..... :)

Ron great job, must have been a great feeling to be back! I am glad for you, How was the very first heat? how did you feel? :D

Hey Baxter,

Thanks.... ;) I appreciate the congrats. Still a little rusty. All the cobwebs will take some time as 16 years away took it's toll..... ;) It was a great weekend. The tunnel turn out was strong there and I got a chance to meet some of the newer guys that were not racing when I stopped. The first couple of heats were a little shaky as we had eight boat heats. It was great practice for me as the Fall Nationals will have more of the same close proximity racing. Glad to see some of the best drivers in RC boating are still driving tunnels.......,. ;) They have posted the results in the race forum on this site.

Ron Shaw Sucks!

LOL..Just kidding man, Tim gave you enough crap this weekend for all of us! Great running boat, great driving, and a great race. You caught us with our pants down in the first couple of rounds! Cant wait to run with ya again in Charleston, and hopefully in Sowega (flier just came out on rcracingevents.com by the way...)

Pleasure meeting ya, and we had a blast this weekend.

~ James

Hahaha. Thanks James for the nice comments, and for giving me at least a little slack as Tim did give me enough crap for your entire CMB group!!!!!................ :blink: It was great to finally meet you and your buddies that were "virtual" tunnel racers to me up until this weekend. You guys were a blast to race with, have fast boats, and are all excellent drivers, (except Tim... :p ).....hahahahahaha. That's what it takes to go through the 12 heats of side by side tunnel racing I had with you guys this weekend and walk away shaking hands and laughing. Two of my very close racing buddies from years past, Randy and Karla Dicks, were from your club and were very respected by all of us old boaters. I came to your club site race a couple of times in the past as that area has always been known to have some of the best tunnel racing in the country. I'm glad to see that nothing has changed........... ;)

I will race side-by-side with you guys anytime!!! Next chance is Charleston and I can't wait. See ya there. I will check out the Sowega race on rcracingevents.com and let you know if it is a possibility. I would definitely like to come down for the WTC next year. Have a great week.............

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I joined the East Cooper Model Club many moons ago, and know Karla and Randy very well. Randy passed away a few years ago, but he did a LOT for the R/C boat hobby for sure...

You will have a blast in Charleston, Fall Nats and the WTC. Its Tunnel boat heaven!

See ya in a couple months!

(PS, I still owe you a couple bumps down the straightaway... That Leecraft was getting Frisky with the HTB! Man I love good close racing! :D )

Hahahaha..........you got it James. Rubbing and bumping is racing!!!!........ :D

Does anyone know where I can find an older LeeCraft XT120, (not the XTR120)? I have attached a picture below. Thanks.

LeecraftXT120 pic1.JPG

Back