Latest news from K+B

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

Hello Fellas

As Outboard Director for the IMPBA I feel a responsibility to try and get information from K+B regarding their motors.

After many e-mails and a resent telephone conversation I can tell you with some confidence that you are in for a real treat. K+B is just weeks away from completing the first run of .21 OBs. They are in the process of cutting liners as we read this. The lower units are done except for taping for the stub shafts and the cases are tumbling at this time. The reason for the excitement from my viewpoint is the new CNC process they are using to make the motors. I have been told that with the new machines tolerances will be much tighter and quality increased. If you know much about machining you will agree. In the hands of a good operator, CNC is the only way to overcome inconsistency.

One note: The folks at K+B have been very receptive to my questions. Not an easy thing to do when there is so much unknown. I feel that as hobbyists it is in our best interest to do what we can to support K+B in their continued support of the hobby.

Thanks for listening,

Grimracer

cool mike... did you ask if they are going to be able to keep prices down? I know they have made some increases, and that's ok so long as they don't get ridiciulous.

Tom

I did not ask them that directly. However there is some pricing information on their website regarding the 21s, and its not bad. I have a feeling that we will be closer to getting what we pay for more now, then ever before.

Thanks

Grimracer

While it is great that are going CNC and have a very good product, They need to take a serious look at their Dealer Network, and provide parts in a timely manner.

In a 70 mile radius of me all the dealers that handled K@B have droped the line and most wont even talk about the subject. This was due in part to customers that had parts on order for 6 months to a year and never received one thing but excuses. I hope that this

will change, but around here the damage is done, I still have one 8907 that I am currently running.

Just my observation and I wish the company luck with their endevors.

Gene :)

over here in Holland we are running out of parts. You can get nothing for the past year. > :( My friend is runnig his ob's with strongly vibrating prop shafts.

The only way to get parts is buying complete engines and strip them.

I don't care about the prices for that much anymore. Would jest nice to keep them running. Hope to hear soon good news about the supplies.......

greetzzz

Oscar

Get in touch with Jim Irwin for K&B parts. He has some, maybe plenty. If not, the local hobby shop here has many parts. HobbyTown USA, 601-957-9900

They are located in Jackson, Mississippi, USA.

Billy Richardson

Does Jim Irwin has a website?

Thanks anyway. Does K&B provite parts only in the USA at the moment or just nowhere?

One problem they have in the Netherlands is if they order something in the US, when it gets over there to them their is a huge duty tariff or import fee,

Jim Irwin can be reached at:

Irwin Performance Products

765-747-4192

(No website that I know of)

Oscar as far as the parts here in the US, a few Dealers seem to have them, I really dont know if this is just old stock that they already had or if they can get new parts,

Jim still has not found a propshaft? Wow, did you guy's check Ebay in Europe?

Gene ;D

Gene

Yes Jim is stil searching. But not to hard I guess. . But it is really hard. There is not much interest in them to. I myself did by a complete 7,5 cc ob last week. In good shape. 70 Euro. Was lucky.

And you are right about the tax. But stil interested in everything with K&B on it so thanks anyway Ron...

Oscar

For K&B parts call the company direct or order from their web site www.modelengine.com/kbindex.htm . I have ordered parts from them and they have shipped everything that I have asked for. They charge $6.00 for shipping no matter the size of the order. I have called and E-mailed them and they are very willing to check on part compatability and availability. The web page gives a price list and part number section under the repair area. They also have exploded views of their motors. I have owned K&B for years and I have been happy with them. Recently they have been able to provide parts for my 12 year old motor. Check them out and good luck.

Chris

Nice to know someone got everything they ordered from MECOA. The last time I tried to order something, a K&B .21 IB and parts for a front exhaust .45, I was told that most of the parts needed for the .21 were being made and I needed to put my name on a list, which I did. I got most of the parts I needed for the .45 though some I obtained used through this forum. It's been almost 2 years and still no word from MECOA, ended up buying a NR .21 from Glenn Quarles and a second one used, again through this forum. Can't complain about either NR or Glenn's survice since he's followed through on everything he said, more than I can say for MECOA

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy henchmen batman. How did you come across this Hydro??? I started to think the glow plugs would be easy to find again till I read Tim's post!!!

It amazes me that someone would buy a company with the potential of K&B, and simply part out the company until all the inventory and resources have evaporated........ :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back