Kyosho Dolphin Outboards (and question!)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randell Doane

I'm currently putting together an old Kyosho Wavemaster. I have 4 brand new Kyosho Dolphin II outboards, and I'm using one to power it. Interestingly enough, I took the cowlings off of two (see pictures), and though they are both brand new and bone stock they have different motors. Anyone have any idea the difference? Two of my outboards have the darker motor and two have the lighter motor. Also, anyone know where on the motor I should put the cooling coil? Should it be spread out (like I have shown on the lighter motor) or pressed together the way the coil comes (like on the darker motor)? I figure certain parts of the motor get hotter than others, and I really want this to last seeing as how old and rare these motors are nowadays

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3374.JPG

IMG_3375.JPG

IMG_3376.JPG

IMG_3377.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

Looking at the props and text on the side of the lower end, the grey motor is a counter rotating unit.

That text is just a decal I put on, both props look as though they spin the same way on both units so I don't think it's that. Any ideas on the water cooling though?

Hi,

can you messure rpm and if is there a different betwheen the motors? Maybe there is no big diffenze ,Prop is the same . For the coolingcoil you can place it like the lighter gry with gaps . This are ferrite magnet motors and the coil cooles the magnet first and so it is good to do it all the lengh of the magnets . Ferrite will loos of it's magnetic force when they become to hoot. Let some air stream inside the cowlings . When the motors are gone after some hot races you can easy switch to a smaler brushless motor , that will do the same job with higher efficancy that will spend you moore runtime using the same batterie.

Hi,

can you messure rpm and if is there a different betwheen the motors? Maybe there is no big diffenze ,Prop is the same . For the coolingcoil you can place it like the lighter gry with gaps . This are ferrite magnet motors and the coil cooles the magnet first and so it is good to do it all the lengh of the magnets . Ferrite will loos of it's magnetic force when they become to hoot. Let some air stream inside the cowlings . When the motors are gone after some hot races you can easy switch to a smaler brushless motor , that will do the same job with higher efficancy that will spend you moore runtime using the same batterie.
Thanks for the reply! Very helpful, I'll spread out the coil. I don't have anything to measure the rpm with but perhaps I can see if there's a difference by ear once I get a battery.

Latest posts

Back